Today's Dumb Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '74 FJ40 (bought new-- 10-73 Build Date). I also bought a Toyota PTO Front Winch when I bought the LC.. Does anyone know where one an obtain a new (and proper) cable for the FJ's Winch?? I believe it's something like 90 feet long (FJ is dead & winch is rusted, so no "unwinding" the drum) Any assistance appreciated. Thanks. Chas.

In the NW, a logging supply store. Got those in Texas?

Hello Kitty..
Appreciate the reply...
As I understand my Texas history, there USE TO BE trees in Texas (still got a few over in east Texas), but I've NEVER seen a Logging Supply Store in my area of Texas.. Might be the 'cause of the lack of trees ;-}
That said, I'm sure I could find a Logging Supply Store on the Internet.. I would have never thought a "logging supply store" would carry Toyota PTO Winch Cable, tho (the yota's cable diameter didn't seem to match the cable size on the few other winches I've looked-at up close.. possibly a "metric" size??) I need to somehow "unroll" the rusted drum/cable, cut a section out to determine it's "construction", not to mention getting an accurate diameter measurement of a non-flattened/non-distorted area of the cable. Thanks.
Chas

I think @oregon fj 's epic build thread talked cable diameter. As I recall, he went a bit thinner to have more length.

most put over 100' even up to 150' ... but.... i cant see that (150') being good as it needs to be wound tight to get it all to fit really well (as far as i remember)

in stock form I think it was only 100' but not 100% sure on that @Living in the Past or @pardion most likely knows

diameter I am pretty sure was 8mm ... 5/16"

do you still have the chain and hook?

Believe the information in the link about right. Seems it was just a few feet more than 150'. 8MM is right. The hook and chain is the hard part. Believe it may still be available in some markets for a PTO off a later model. Problem is it comes with the cable which makes shipping it a deal killer.

most put over 100' even up to 150' ... but.... i cant see that (150') being good as it needs to be wound tight to get it all to fit really well (as far as i remember)

in stock form I think it was only 100' but not 100% sure on that @Living in the Past or @pardion most likely knows

diameter I am pretty sure was 8mm ... 5/16"

do you still have the chain and hook?
Johnny C;
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I still have the original chain and hook.. in fact, the drum still contains the original cable.. I do not recall needing to "unwind" the entire drum to get to an attaching point... I recall the stock Toyota cable was (is?) about ninety feet long. I'll try to check the diameter later in the week (the rains are a-commin and, right now, I'm stumpin' around on crutches-- blown-out knee!)

Last edited:
Johnny C;
WOW! Great Find.. even if it is just pictures!
When I bought my '40, I ordered the winch.. seems it took a couple of months before I got it.. It came in a wood crate, which made the assembly one heavy sucker! Mine, "out of the box" was painted solid black.. I read where the seller of the winch you noted said his winch had "Paint stripped and repainted with hardened chassis paint".. Damn purty, tho.. ;-}
Chas.

Are you going for a perfect stock OEM restoration?

If not, I run 5/16 inch diameter steel winch cable on my OEM PTO. Generic stuff from any crane/rigging supply house. The OEM chain and hook never really appealed to my beyond OEM coolness. I have about 225 feet of cable on mine. Fills it as full as it can be. It is nice to have the extra length. Next timeI need to replace it, I will go with synthetic.

Mark...

Mark;
I've read a little about the synthetic tow straps, but didn't find any info about longevity in weather extremes (we can swing between Five Below and 115 above! in my area), but I haven't really researched it, either.
In the twenty-one years my LC was a daily driver AND a full-time "farm" vehicle, the PTO Winch was unlimbered a fair number of times, I never totally unwound the drum to "unstick" me.. That said, I DID unwind the drum totally to re-"level-wind" the cable on one ocassion.. seems the "idiot driver" left the PTO Lever engaged and drove off down the freeway.. Talk about a "birds nest"!! At least it "unwound" instead of tightening-up!! That would have been an expensive mess!!
As to your query about "going for a perfect stock OEM restoration".. a simple "Hell No" ;-} is in order. I am in the "reassembly" stage of a (way too many years) full frame-up "As Left Factory" restoration of a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC (one of 1765 built! Total Production!!) that I bought in May 1967 when I was a poor, starving college student! I'm the second owner.. The Jag was my daily driver until 1975 when I "started" restoring it!! My FJ-40 is no longer "factory original"... after five burned valves (same #4 exhaust) in four years, I opted to replace the Imitation Chevy Six (which didn't EVEN last 100K miles!!) with a WAY MORE dependable engine.. I fitted a 1967 Cadillac 429cid V-8 and "H-D Built" TH400 into the LC.. The 4wd and, of course, the PTO Winch still functioned and the nearly 400 horses and 400 ft lbs of torque allowed the LC to pretty much go anywhere and do anything (I also used it to pull a 6000lb, 23' Travel Trailer when I went deer hunting in and around Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.) I put nearly a half million miles on the LC/Caddy and the ONLY engine repair I had to do was replace a fifty cent rubber diaphragm in the Holley 4bbl Carb. (given the 4.10 gearing, that half million miles was "TWICE" as far, RPM wise, on the Caddy engine! I NEED taller gears!!). Since fitting the Caddy engine, I've NEVER had to use Low Range!!
My "restoration plan" for the FJ-40 is simple (famous last words!!), rebuild the engine and trans, re-do the seats, replace ALL the rubber weather seals (around doors & ALL the glass!) and re-paint to it's original "white" (kinda off-white, as I recall), if possible. I am going to upgrade to a four wheel disc brake set-up and see if I can "improve" the air conditioning evaporator set-up.. as it was, the A/C almost kept my right knee "cool"!! #1 Son (who is building a Four Runner, doubled T-case, rock-crawler!) wants me to put 35's on the FJ-40.. It will improve my "top gear" ratio, but as a mostly "daily driver", those expensive tires would wear-out FAST!!
Chas.

Mark;
I've read a little about the synthetic tow straps, but didn't find any info about longevity in weather extremes (we can swing between Five Below and 115 above! in my area), but I haven't really researched it, either.

For what it's worth, I have been running synthetic line on two winches on different trucks for the last 8-12 years, and have yet to replace either. They've held up well, work well, are a lot lighter, and a lot more safe to use.

For what it's worth, I have been running synthetic line on two winches on different trucks for the last 8-12 years, and have yet to replace either. They've held up well, work well, are a lot lighter, and a lot more safe to use.

N5MUD;
Great looking winch set-up.
Now for the dumb question(s)... Are the synthetic lines "rated" by width/diameter? Or??
Basically, what would one need to either "Look For?" or "Look-Out For?" when fitting a synthetic winch line?? Given I've never seen one, classify me as a total "dumass" on the subject.. That said, I can see what I think is your winch line (orange?) On the surface, it appears to "look like" plain ol' "plastic" rope.
Does it stretch during use?
Chas.

N5MUD;
Great looking winch set-up.
Now for the dumb question(s)... Are the synthetic lines "rated" by width/diameter? Or??
Basically, what would one need to either "Look For?" or "Look-Out For?" when fitting a synthetic winch line?? Given I've never seen one, classify me as a total "dumass" on the subject.. That said, I can see what I think is your winch line (orange?) On the surface, it appears to "look like" plain ol' "plastic" rope.
Does it stretch during use?
Chas.

Synthetic winch line from reputable sources is rated/sold by diameter, each of which has a specific tensile strength, if you want to look it up. The 3/8" line I have on that winch in the photo has a tensile strength of 17,600 lbs. The synthetic fibers ("Dyneema") used to make them are also used to make line for sailing and other kinds of rigging. I mention reputable vendors because like a lot of things, there are inferior immitations out there. Buying from a reputable vendor insures you are getting the real stuff, but you can save money if you are willing to bet on some of the Amazon or eBay vendors. Personally, I don't think the savings are worth the risk. The company I bought that from (Viking) is no longer in business. I would stick with name-brand stuff like Amtseel Blue, or MasterPull if I had the money.

If it stretches at all under tension, it's very little. Unlike wire (steel) rope, it doesn't store energy under tension - it won't whiplash if it breaks, just falls to the ground. The weave of the fibers when not under tension is open enough to get sand and dirt in it, so you want to store it on the drum under some tension and you need to wash it out after dragging it through sand and dirt. It can degrade under UV exposure, so you want to either use a sleeve on the end of the line or a cover on your winch if you park your truck outside.

Synthetic winch line from reputable sources is rated/sold by diameter, each of which has a specific tensile strength, if you want to look it up. The 3/8" line I have on that winch in the photo has a tensile strength of 17,600 lbs. The synthetic fibers ("Dyneema") used to make them are also used to make line for sailing and other kinds of rigging. I mention reputable vendors because like a lot of things, there are inferior immitations out there. Buying from a reputable vendor insures you are getting the real stuff, but you can save money if you are willing to bet on some of the Amazon or eBay vendors. Personally, I don't think the savings are worth the risk. The company I bought that from (Viking) is no longer in business. I would stick with name-brand stuff like Amtseel Blue, or MasterPull if I had the money.

If it stretches at all under tension, it's very little. Unlike wire (steel) rope, it doesn't store energy under tension - it won't whiplash if it breaks, just falls to the ground. The weave of the fibers when not under tension is open enough to get sand and dirt in it, so you want to store it on the drum under some tension and you need to wash it out after dragging it through sand and dirt. It can degrade under UV exposure, so you want to either use a sleeve on the end of the line or a cover on your winch if you park your truck outside.
1911 (as in an "ACP"?? I'm an S&W guy, myself)
Sorry 'bout getting your "Handle" wrong..
Appreciate the reply and the info on the synthetic cable.. I like the idea of it not whip-lashing.. I've never had a steel line break, but I've SEEN one.. one "half" (of the broken line) literally cut into the hood a car!
I'll take a look at the Amsteel and Masterpull and "look for" the Viking.. See what's to be seen.
You mention the need to protect from UV and to keep the dirt washed out of the synthetic.. That puts the synthetic line into a "high maintenance" category.. One would have to have/make a special cover (for the OEM Toyota's PTO Winch) to protect said line.. Have to give that some thinking..
Also, noticed you are over in Parker County.. Are you in W'Ford? or out in the county?? I'm in Johnson County (just south of Tarrant County). My son and his buddies go "muddin'" somewhere up around Bridgeport..
Chas.

1911 (as in an "ACP"?? I'm an S&W guy, myself)

Some say it's the year I was born ...

But yeah, when I joined Mud I was shooting a lot.

Sorry 'bout getting your "Handle" wrong..

It was nothing - that's my ham radio call sign, so that's still me. Call me anything except late for dinner.

Appreciate the reply and the info on the synthetic cable.. I like the idea of it not whip-lashing.. I've never had a steel line break, but I've SEEN one.. one "half" (of the broken line) literally cut into the hood a car!
I'll take a look at the Amsteel and Masterpull and "look for" the Viking.. See what's to be seen.
You mention the need to protect from UV and to keep the dirt washed out of the synthetic.. That puts the synthetic line into a "high maintenance" category.. One would have to have/make a special cover (for the OEM Toyota's PTO Winch) to protect said line.. Have to give that some thinking..

Also, noticed you are over in Parker County.. Are you in W'Ford? or out in the county?? I'm in Johnson County (just south of Tarrant County). My son and his buddies go "muddin'" somewhere up around Bridgeport..
Chas.

I am out in the county, ten miles NE of Weatherford. Wife and I are recluses, just not quite to the bomb-making stage, but give us time. :hillbilly:

There's an off-road park owned by the City of Bridgeport, with some big shallow ponds/lakes on it. Been there a few times, but not for a long time.

Hope you like it there in Johnson County; life in rural Texas is good.

Some say it's the year I was born ...

But yeah, when I joined Mud I was shooting a lot.

It was nothing - that's my ham radio call sign, so that's still me. Call me anything except late for dinner.

I am out in the county, ten miles NE of Weatherford. Wife and I are recluses, just not quite to the bomb-making stage, but give us time. :hillbilly:

There's an off-road park owned by the City of Bridgeport, with some big shallow ponds/lakes on it. Been there a few times, but not for a long time.

Hope you like it there in Johnson County; life in rural Texas is good.

If "1911" was the year you were born, you are just a little younger than I am.. I was born four days after dirt was created ;-} )
With respect to "Texas Life".. While some consider my ancestors "Johnny come lately's", we got here as fast as we could (my "first American" ancestor arrived at Mass. Bay Colony in 1630).. One of my Great-Grand Fathers was the FIRST Elected Sheriff of Dawson County, he killed three men "In the line of duty".. at that time, the "town" of LaMesa had not been founded. Most of my 'bunch' lived out in west Texas..
I did some research on the synthetic winch lines.. "Expensive" is an understatement! Most of what I saw was two-three dollars per foot and these synthetic lines are not UV resistant.. none of my vehicles get garaged... except when they are being worked on! So, I guess a replacement line will be on "hold" for a while... better get the '40 running, first!
Chas.

One of my Great-Grand Fathers was the FIRST Elected Sheriff of Dawson County, he killed three men "In the line of duty".. at that time, the "town" of LaMesa had not been founded. Most of my 'bunch' lived out in west Texas..

That is cool.

We used to live in Midland, and three of our children were born there. Used to drive through Dawson County a lot. West Texas has its own special kind of beauty, that not everyone can appreciate. We liked it while we were there - probably wouldn't move back though. I still go back for work however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom