Is it worth the extra money to search out 2013'+ ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I have loved our 17' Tacoma TRD OR since we bought it and still do for the most part but now have an 11 month old at home as well as a German shepherd that complicates things with a small truck. Plain and simple the truck just does not work for us anymore and I am currently shopping for a 200 series. I would like to keep the price around $30K but am wondering if it is worth it to pay a little more for 13'+ trucks as I have noted they revised the headlights which is a big plus to me versus the halogens.

Are there any other major differences in the 13'+ trucks besides headlights? If there is not and I find a really nice 10' an I able to wire in a set of the projector headlights from a newer truck with out major hassle?

Thanks in advance, still learning about the 200 series!

2013+ adds:
-Updated front and rear lights, styling
-Multi-Terrain Select
-New interior leather/accents + comfort/luxury features (such as standard rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, etc)

Now Standard:
-5-speed CRAWL Control
-Downhill Assist Control
-Hill-start Assist Control
-Off Road Turn Assist
-Trailer Sway Control
-Rear seat entertainment
-JBL 14 speaker system, Entune

Last edited:
2013+ adds:
-Multi-Terrain Select
-CRAWL Control
-Downhill Assist Control
-Off Road Turn Assist
-Trailer Sway Control
-New interior leather/accents + comfort/luxury features (such as standard rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, etc)
-Rear seat entertainment, JBL 14 speaker system, Entune
Do you just know this from experience, or is there a website that shows what got added when?

Do you just know this from experience, or is there a website that shows what got added when?
Both. Here you go:

I went through a similar process. I decided due to availability and tolerable levels of ugly the 2013-2015LX was the sweet spot for me. What “sold” me on paying the extra was the headlights, better OE radio and price point. I wanted to be in 200, period. The ‘13 I found fits the bill. To do all over I may focus on spending a few more dollars for a ‘14. That’s when you get lane departure/anti-collision tech.

At first I was VERY leery of AHC but within a week of reading here and living with it in the real world I love it! It is a very robust and well executed system.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's good information. Anything similar for the 2016+? A year-by-year list of improvements would be a great help for buyers.

The 200 series has always had Crawl Control. The links above commingled new features with standard features and features that were optional (but actually on almost every LC) that were made standard. The threads in post #3 of the forum FAQs have extensive and accurate lists of changes year to year.

Thanks, that's good information. Anything similar for the 2016+? A year-by-year list of improvements would be a great help for buyers.
There are several “nice to have” upgrades but nothing earth shattering EXCEPT the transmission. The new 8sp has a very wide ratio spacing and it goes slow better as well as goes fast better. You’re far more likely to be able to substantially upgrade the tire size without wanting to regear it. The six speed works well up to 33” but after that I’d want gears. Heck, even at 33” I am really considering it. That’s real money. Perhaps take that money and get a 16+ with big brakes and no need to regear.

It all depends how much $$$ you want to spend and what mod level you want in the end...

The 200 series has always had Crawl Control. The links above commingled new features with standard features and features that were optional (but actually on almost every LC) that were made standard. The threads in post #3 of the forum FAQs have extensive and accurate lists of changes year to year.

Perfect! This is exactly what I was wondering. It seems like 13' might be the sweet spot for me as it seems to have the most features I would want without paying more just for a newer vehicle. Im hoping I can find one with 150K or less miles for low $30's. They do seem to be out there probably just have to travel outside of the Seattle area.......everything here is expensive for no particular reason

Perfect! This is exactly what I was wondering. It seems like 13' might be the sweet spot for me as it seems to have the most features I would want without paying more just for a newer vehicle. Im hoping I can find one with 150K or less miles for low $30's. They do seem to be out there probably just have to travel outside of the Seattle area.......everything here is expensive for no particular reason
That seems like an achievable goal. Best of luck. The 200’s are amazing and you’ll likely love it.

2013+ adds:
-Multi-Terrain Select
-CRAWL Control
-Downhill Assist Control
-Off Road Turn Assist
-Trailer Sway Control
-Rear seat entertainment, JBL 14 speaker system, Entune

Crawl control wasn’t added in 2013.

It’s on my 08... ;)

Personally, I'd look at the bigger picture and the opportunity costs for a young family. Any 200-series will be light years over a Tacoma. Or just about any vehicle. People with earlier model years surely aren't hurting for anything. Do look at the details. Yet just that sometimes getting caught up in the details takes away from the bigger picture which sometimes is more important. More opportunity costs in registration, taxes, financing, depreciation, etc. It all adds up.

2013s are a good breakpoint in extra features. And 2016s. And LX's, which started right in 2008 with many of the nicer features later model year LCs received.

Whoops you're right, let me update my reply - CRAWL control became standard 2013 onwards. Multi-Terrain Select was added in 2013 entirely though, correct?

?
Pretty sure crawl control was standard in the US starting with its very first 2008 model year. Heck, mine was here by November, 2007... ;)

Last edited:
2016+ has a thoroughly refreshed exterior and interior. All new front and rear end, new dashboard and infotainment, new accents, etc, plus a new 8-speed transmission. The rest is mostly small convenience and luxury feature updates.

I went with my 2016 since the exterior and interior (love the Terra leather too) felt the least dated. Almost feels like an entirely different car compared to the first 200 as well as the second update in 2013.

?
Try that one more time... heheh...

Crawl control was standard in the US starting with its very first **2008 model year.** Heck, mine was in by November, 2007... ;)
Do you have the 5-speed CRAWL Control? With the turn assist, downhill assist, and hill-start assist?

2016+ has a thoroughly refreshed exterior and interior. All new front and rear end, new dashboard and infotainment, new accents, etc, plus a new 8-speed transmission. The rest is mostly small convenience and luxury feature updates.

I went with my 2016 since the exterior and interior (love the Terra leather too) felt the least dated. Almost feels like an entirely different car compared to the first 200 as well as the second update in 2013.

Do you have the 5-speed CRAWL Control? With the turn assist, downhill assist, and hill-start assist?

No. But I have 3 speed crawl control.
Those tweaks (like turn assist) were added to crawl control later. But crawl control itself and it’s three speed settings were already in the US spec 2008 model year.

The other tweak I wish I had was a forward-view camera that comes on while in 4-Lo. Would be nice when wheeling alone (when no spotted is available).

No. But I have 3 speed crawl control.
Those tweaks (like turn assist) were added to crawl control later. But crawl control itself and it’s three speed settings were already in the US spec 2008 model year.
Got it! Updated my original reply. The two more speeds (not sure on the real world advantages of that) and the tweaks seem to have become standard 2013 onward.

Nothing beats a real owner vs. trying to decipher a press release haha. Thanks

Did the LC ever get the 'substantially more sound deadening' that post #22 mentioned as one of the differences?

I guess what I'm really wondering is, on a 2019, what are the differences in LX and LC, except for the AHC, stereo and exterior?

Got it! Updated my original reply. The two more speeds (not sure on the real world advantages of that) and the tweaks seem to have become standard 2013 onward.

Nothing beats a real owner vs. trying to decipher a press release haha. Thanks

heh... I’ve been confused many times before, so no worries! :) It’s even more confusing because the US version is just one of a ZILLION other versions that pop up in discussions from other regions.

I noticed on the LC page on wikipedia...while they do go through various changes,it really needs a separate section for each region.m bc it’s crazy how many differences there are.

Forward camera and Bluetooth audio streaming are the only things from the 13 I wish I had in my 08. Maybe open the search up to both. No groundbreaking differences. I’d love ok for vehicles with solid service records as the #1 priority, regardless of the year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom