Possible Negative affects due to larger tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Discount Tire is telling me that the 275/65R18 will rub because its beyond the 3% diameter width? i am running complete stock 2006 LC.

Nah, they're fine. 3 percent is kind of a generic rule that doesn't apply in this case.

I think Discount Tire automatically tells customers that when they choose a size larger than the OEM offering. I never rubbed with a 275/65 and I've never rubbed with a 275/70.

So Discount Tire is telling me that the 275/65R18 will rub because its beyond the 3% diameter width? i am running complete stock 2006 LC.

View attachment 2130710

I'm running an LT285/75R16 (Toyo Open Country C/T) on my 2000. This is a 32.8 inch diameter tire with a total inflated width of 11.3 inches. My suspension is totally stock. I did crank my torsion bars about 3.25 turns of the adjusting bolt, which raised the front of the truck a little less than an inch. This was just to level the truck and remove most of the forward rake. I've been running this combo for almost a year with no rubbing whatsoever.

Your 275/65R18 is only a 32.3 inch diameter tire with a total inflated width of 11.0 inches. You should have no issues with rubbing.

Even with putting in the numbers, everything for the 275/65 are smaller that what I currently have on.

2019-11-11_1532.png

I just ordered 275/65 they should be just right for my needs, thanks all for helping

Looks good, hope you’re happy with the new tires.

Falken WildPeak A/T3W 275/65R18 -- fianlly installed.

Those look good man. Did you go with P or E load rating?

I've been debating on which I should go with... I'm leaning toward P since my use will be mostly highway. But I'll also want to air down for soft beach driving.

I will never understand you guys who buy a 100 Series Land Cruiser... then talk about miles per gallon. Ya know, there a Lots of RAV4s out there.

I will never understand you guys who buy a 100 Series Land Cruiser... then talk about miles per gallon. Ya know, there a Lots of RAV4s out there.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I'm more concerned about the extra wear and tear from the weight and potential (however small it may be) problems that may arise like OP was concerned with.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I'm more concerned about the extra wear and tear from the weight and potential (however small it may be) problems that may arise like OP was concerned with.

I'd love to quantify how much extra wear and tear to affected parts as well, but we will probably never know.

funny... nobody on this forum is going to be choosing a Rav4 :lol:
I just installed a set of 275/65-18's as well for the same reason as the OP. My use is about 90% over the road (mostly highway) and 10% accessing our mountaintop camp via a rough woods road in Maine. I need the extra traction and thicker rubber of the AT for the weekends we go to the camp but I cannot afford to get substantially lower fuel economy during all those road miles. It's a compromise. The stock size (proportions) does look a bit dumb on these trucks so the extra inch or so in diameter is a small trade off for aesthetics. The tires I chose are also severe snow service rated since I need those here as well.

Those look good man. Did you go with P or E load rating?

I've been debating on which I should go with... I'm leaning toward P since my use will be mostly highway. But I'll also want to air down for soft beach driving.
I went with P, my driving plus what I tow does not warrant an E rated tire.

315/75R16. I only installed the 5mm spacer in the front to clear the UCA. It rubbed the back front inner fender. Nothing a torch can’t fix to melt and cut off the area that rubbed.

83AC177A-F506-4A87-B786-3A71AF9B46BF.jpeg

C362EB77-87D6-4DA1-A52D-95280408974C.jpeg

I went with P, my driving plus what I tow does not warrant an E rated tire.
If only I was kidding around!! Installed on Friday and 1 flat by Sunday!!

View attachment 2135565

One of the things that pushed me from p-metric tires to LT "E" tires, is I got tired of the flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom