3D Printed Development Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate our efforts in requesting and developing 3D printed related items to one thread. I did a similar thing on the Legacy Gt forums and it is one of the top 5 most popular threads. If anyone has designed any 100 Series related items and you'd like to post them, feel free. All I ask is that you make the design files open sourced to other members to print them if they have the capabilities. This isn't a requirement, but a request. If you have questions about hosting just pm me.

Great thread idea. Thanks!

I'll get started. I am developing a console pocket that is a drop in replacement for the oem blank. I know these are available, but I wanted to make my own.
Console_Pocket_2018-Jun-30_07-49-17PM-000_CustomizedView45009340490_png.png

Console Pocket v2.f3d
Console Pocket v2.stl

20180701_140232.jpg

Last edited:
I currently sell this coin tray:

I won't link because I do not have the volume of sales to justify becoming a forum sponsor. Hopefully soon though!

I am working on a number of other items as well.

I would like to make some tweeter mounts, having just installed new tweeters that are too big for the OEM placement, even after excessive Dremel work.

What sort of parts were popular with the Legacy GT?

Mainly gauge pods. I designed a few pods that fit in the dash cubby.

Last edited:
I designed & printed a ScanGauge mount with map lights for the upper console. For Sale thread coming soon...
View attachment 1734085

^^^^^ And I can vouch for the quality, fit and finish of this product.

Additionally, several options are available and very detailed instructions are provided. I am currently in the process of putting mine together and will provide pics and account of the installation at a later date.

VERY HAPPY with mine.

I think people are missing the point of this thread. Still cool though.

Being open sourced isn't a requirement, but I am a advocate of open software and hardware. However, I fully respect that if you want to charge for product by all means, support the form by becoming a vendor, and sell away.

All of my design work over the last few years is open sourced, and freely available. I use the creative commons license to protect my IP. I'd encourage others to do the same and I'd be glad to discuss it via pm with anyone.

I think people are missing the point of this thread. Still cool though.

My biggest problem with that is that I sell these to help fund my hobbies; offroading and designing. I spend alot of time designing these parts, to give away the cad model for free is saying my time is worthless. I also expect a certain quality of workmanship with my products and having a 3rd party print them with an unknown plastic could lead to failure. On my product above, that is a more minor concern. Other products I sell do require a higher quality of workmanship and material, so it is best for me to control.

That being said, I do plan on releasing the Cad files after a certain amount of time, I am not sure when that will be.

I've updated and finalized the Console Pocket. The files are linked above. Now that i have the opening and clips modeled and working that would be a good spot to mount accessories or phones. If there is any interest I can work something up.

Oh, I also printed some "armrest delete" caps a while back. Full thread is here:
Armrest mount cover/cap project

IMG_0237.JPG

Regarding open-sourcing the design files, I'm not sure how I feel about that for precision parts like the ScanGauge console mount. There's so much variation in tolerances and quality of 3D printing that it's a crap shoot if the part will fit or be acceptable cosmetically if FDM printed or if the machine is not set up properly. Smoother, more accurate printing methods like SLA or SLS will yield best quality, stronger parts but are more expensive and you're not doing it in your living room unless you're independently wealthy. (Good overview of technologies here.)

So if I'm putting my name on a design it would only be via a certain printing method?

Last edited:
My biggest problem with that is that I sell these to help fund my hobbies; offroading and designing. I spend alot of time designing these parts, to give away the cad model for free is saying my time is worthless. I also expect a certain quality of workmanship with my products and having a 3rd party print them with an unknown plastic could lead to failure. On my product above, that is a more minor concern. Other products I sell do require a higher quality of workmanship and material, so it is best for me to control.

That being said, I do plan on releasing the Cad files after a certain amount of time, I am not sure when that will be.

Agreed on the time issue. A good design with proper tolerances and strength for various print methods can take dozens of hours and multiple test prints on SLS machines.

I do think, though, that the "Free-files to print at home" and the "Manufactured products that happen to be 3D printed" are two different things. Relatively few items can be printed with anything short of a commercial grade SLS or HP Multijet printer and look anything resembling "OK" for interior use without some sort of advanced finishing technique.

I hope the free files released would be super basic parts and not something a designer spent weeks on - for the sake of the designer themselves.

Oh, I also printed some "armrest delete" caps a while back. Full thread is here:
Armrest mount cover/cap project

View attachment 1734580

Regarding open-sourcing the design files, I'm not sure how I feel about that for precision parts like the ScanGauge console mount. There's so much variation in tolerances and quality of 3D printing that it's a crap shoot if the part will fit or be acceptable cosmetically if FDM printed or if the machine is not set up properly. Smoother, more accurate printing methods like SLA or SLS will yield best quality, stronger parts but are more expensive and you're not doing it in your living room unless you're independently wealthy. (Good overview of technologies here.)

So if I'm putting my name on a design it would only be via a certain printing method?

Agreed. I've found vast differences, even among the top commercial grade printer services. The home printers are a joke when you're talking about consistency and quality. They are, however, super cheap to run. If it takes somebody 4 prints to dial in the settings, no biggie. After dealing so much with this stuff though, the end product is incredibly different between FDM 9typical at home printers) and the other superior technologies (SLA, SLS, MJF).

I'm trying to justify an HP MJF printer, but they're still around $100k for a starter set-up. In a few years maybe it'll drop to $25k and my business will have picked up enough to justify a machine of my own.

I upgraded my speakers inside the doors with 8" in stead of the original ones that are around 6". I had to cut bigger holes in the door for the speakers to fit. But after the new speakers without spacers the windows would hit the magnet of the speaker and would not fully open. So I designed these spacers for the speakers. Now with the spacers the windows will fully open and the speakers still don't hit the door panel. Also on full volume the cone won't hit the door panel.
IMG_9643.JPG

IMG_9648.JPG

There are two versions one for the front doors and one for the rear doors. Both have holes for the cables to go through. I printed them in PLA, but I think nearly every type of filament will work fine.

You can download the model on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3176577

I’ve been looking at that console pocket for a long time. It’s a little too small to fit my iPhone also it needs to face forward. Can you design a drop in that comes up and faces forward. Maybe with a swivel on it. That would be nice
I'll get started. I am developing a console pocket that is a drop in replacement for the oem blank. I know these are available, but I wanted to make my own.
View attachment 1733884
Console Pocket v2.f3d
Console Pocket v2.stl

View attachment 1734619

I am looking for someone to print something I just finished in tinkercad. It is a gauge holder for a 92-94 80 series that fits over the deletes above the radio. I am willing to share the item if anyone wants it. As much as I would like to sell it, it is not finished enough and it is my first piece in tinkercad. It is good enough though as long as it fits. I just need to get one made and get suggestions on material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom