Hi to everyone, new to this form. Need help with getting truck to pass smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Explain to me the o2 on carb trucks then...

Again, just because you are old does not make you right.

If you really want to argue semantics we can.

Fact: if we weren't being extorted for SHYT fuel and ridiculously inefficient engines, "emissions" equipment would not even be necessary.

Nope, not what I meant to say.

Emissions equipment on our trucks include the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation System), PCV (Pollution Control Valve, or ventilation system), and catalytic converter. That's it on the 22RE. On 22R trucks you can add what is commonly known as the Smog Pump, or Manifold Air Injection System.

None of these deal with fuel management, but rather cleaning up the exhaust after the fact. These systems are frequently identified as being power robbers, and deleted by owners in non-smog nazi states in a process affectionately known as "de-smogging."

The Ox sensor is part of the EFI fuel delivery system. Unfortunately, some folks think is an emission device and do something stupid with it. I see your point that anything that improves fuel delivery also improves emissions. But the bottom line is the Ox sensor is not part of the emission system.

Also, for chuckles … California 22R engines had an Ox sensor. Go figure. If it failed it messed with fuel delivery somehow to the carburetor and the truck would fail CA smog. BTDT.

My apologies. I thought it was a typo on your part.

However, just because the manual lists it different, does not change it's reason for being.

Respectfully, your whole post I just quoted above is full of inaccurate and misleading information. You should not give anymore advice regarding this issue.

well, unfortunately there has been way to many fingers under the hood of this truck. The previous owner told me that the exhaust manifold had to be replaced. There are three bolts that hold the heat shield on and two of them have been broken off. I think if it was replaced it was a used one and not new. I am unable to fine where the sensor that is in the exhaust manifold plugs in. I am thinking that some one has cut the plug off and i am going to have to find out where it is . I have also found a sensor just in front of the cat so I am going to replace it also. This has really turned in to a bucket of worms.

The o2 should be roughly under the drivers seat.

1989 has one O2 if its federal, not sure about California and it was before the cat. The wire it connects to runs down with the transmission harness if you have an auto.

^^One of these locations is where your connection should be. (Most likely the first) There is an access hole above the O2 sensor location that the harness runs through. The plug is under the drivers seat, under the carpet.

Also, some models have the O2 wire run over the top of the transmission where all the other transmission wires are located. Then proceed to run up into the engine bay of the passenger side.

well, unfortunately there has been way to many fingers under the hood of this truck. The previous owner told me that the exhaust manifold had to be replaced. There are three bolts that hold the heat shield on and two of them have been broken off. I think if it was replaced it was a used one and not new. I am unable to fine where the sensor that is in the exhaust manifold plugs in. I am thinking that some one has cut the plug off and i am going to have to find out where it is . I have also found a sensor just in front of the cat so I am going to replace it also. This has really turned in to a bucket of worms.

Your truck does not come with a manifold installed O2 sensor. If there is a sensor there with the pigtail cut off, just ignore it. You may also remove that sensor and find a plug to install in its place.

Federally certified vehicles will have only one sensor just before the catalytic converter. (Sounds like what you have discovered)

California certified vehicles will have that pre-cat sensor as well as a post cat sensor.

I think TYM4FUN has answered the question. I checked the sticker on the hood and it states that it is Federal emissions compliant. It does not say any thing about CA compliant. I think what happened is when the previous owner had the exhaust manifold replaced the got a used one from a wrecking yard and it had the sensor in it. l do have the one just before the cat. I have located a 89 truck in Bishop and the owner is going to take a picture of it and send it to me. I will find out if it is a federal or ca compliant truck. I will also get a picture and post it in a day or two.

Pictures

DSCF0528.JPG

DSCF0529.JPG

A picture of your inspection report will better help us point you in a direction of diagnosis.

TYM4FUN, There is no report, They put the sniffer in the tail pipe and got a reading the was very high with unburned fuel and said it would not pass.it was only in the bay for a very few minutes. They suggested that it might be the map sensor but it does not have one, possibly the O2 sensor but the check engine light is not on, and possibly the cat. I have been talking to a mechanic at the local Toyota dealer and he suggested that it might be that the throttle positioning valve is stuck in the full open position and that the computer would not since that so the check engine light would not be on.
I don't want to start changing out parts that may be good but that may be what I have to do. I am thinking that change the cat, O2 sensor, and the throttle positioning valve and that might fix it. Any Ideas?

Have you checked for code at all? Sometimes there are codes stored that haven't trigger the check engine light. It could be a lot of things, someone may have adjust the AFM, the TPS could be going out, the O2 sensor its self could be going bad, timing may not be the factor 5 degrees, maybe even a plugged cat. Did you ever get the o2 sensor hooked up? Or were you thinking the sensor in the manifold was the o2 sensor?

TYM4FUN, There is no report, They put the sniffer in the tail pipe and got a reading the was very high with unburned fuel and said it would not pass.it was only in the bay for a very few minutes. They suggested that it might be the map sensor but it does not have one, possibly the O2 sensor but the check engine light is not on, and possibly the cat. I have been talking to a mechanic at the local Toyota dealer and he suggested that it might be that the throttle positioning valve is stuck in the full open position and that the computer would not since that so the check engine light would not be on.
I don't want to start changing out parts that may be good but that may be what I have to do. I am thinking that change the cat, O2 sensor, and the throttle positioning valve and that might fix it. Any Ideas?

Yes. Go to a Star Certified Smog Shop that has a free retest and have them perform an inspection. Don't do anything until you have done this. NOT THE SHOP YOU CAME FROM.

You need a base line report. I or others need clear facts to help across the keyboard.

Just make sure your coolant temp on the guage is at normal operating temperature when you show up and leave it idling until the truck is pulled in.

TYN4FUN, Here is my problem. I live in the second largest county in CA. roughly 1 3/4 persons per SQ Mile, about 20,000 people total. There are two smog ck stations in the hole county. One charges $94 for a ck and there is a wait time of 4 to 5 Weeks. The other charges $100 for a precheck and $150 for test with cert. nether have free rechecks. They are 15 miles away. The shop I took it to Did not charge me as they did not really ck it other than put the sniffer in the tail pipe and get a reading.They charge $65. I have used them before and have been very happy with them. Even with the miles and cost of fuel it has been cheaper that doing business with the bandits 15 away. They are 125 miles away. The only Star Certified Smog Check stations are 250+ miles away. I think I will have to take it back to where I took it and get a readout. any thoughts?

Mudder, This is a old truck and it does not have a port to plug in to. When the CK engine light is on you have to get a set of blinking lights and count them to get a code, so no light no code. The exhaust manifold had been changed and I believe that they got a used one from a wrecking yard and put it on and it has the O2 lsensor in it because it came off a certified CA truck. my truck is a federal compliant and not a CA compliant vehicle. The Federal compliant have only a o2 sensor in front of the CAT where as the CA have a O2 in the exhaust man. and before the CAT.

TYN4FUN, Here is my problem. I live in the second largest county in CA. roughly 1 3/4 persons per SQ Mile, about 20,000 people total. There are two smog ck stations in the hole county. One charges $94 for a ck and there is a wait time of 4 to 5 Weeks. The other charges $100 for a precheck and $150 for test with cert. nether have free rechecks. They are 15 miles away. The shop I took it to Did not charge me as they did not really ck it other than put the sniffer in the tail pipe and get a reading.They charge $65. I have used them before and have been very happy with them. Even with the miles and cost of fuel it has been cheaper that doing business with the bandits 15 away. They are 125 miles away. The only Star Certified Smog Check stations are 250+ miles away. I think I will have to take it back to where I took it and get a readout. any thoughts?

I am guessing you live in Inyo County then? Close to TJ's Firing Line?

Mudder, This is a old truck and it does not have a port to plug in to. When the CK engine light is on you have to get a set of blinking lights and count them to get a code, so no light no code.

That is false. I owned an 1989 22re pickup. And have swapped all the old wiring into my 84 pickup. There is a port under the hood next to the fuse box that says diagnostic in it. Jump the TE and E1 terminas and the check engine light will either blink at a constant rate (no code) or blink pause and blink again a certain number of blinks to give off codes. I had a GPS code and my MIL never went off.

Last edited:
Mudder, This is a old truck and it does not have a port to plug in to. When the CK engine light is on you have to get a set of blinking lights and count them to get a code, so no light no code. The exhaust manifold had been changed and I believe that they got a used one from a wrecking yard and put it on and it has the O2 lsensor in it because it came off a certified CA truck. my truck is a federal compliant and not a CA compliant vehicle. The Federal compliant have only a o2 sensor in front of the CAT where as the CA have a O2 in the exhaust man. and before the CAT.
That is false. I owned an 1989 22re pickup. And haveswapped all the old wiring into my 84 pickup. There is a port under the hood next to the fuse box that says diagnostic in it. Jump the TE and E1 terminas and the check engine light will either blink at a constant rate (no code) or blink pause and blink again a certain number of blinks to give off codes. I had a GPS code and my MIL never went off.

OK guys, two different things. @GaryJohn is correct, there is no OBDII port under the dash. @Mudder is also correct that there is a diagnostic box under the hood off the fuse block, but it's not a "port." Just a little box you short out TE and E1 with a paperclip that will cause the CE light to flash. Count the flashes, get the trouble code. Primitive, but it's what we have.

That is false. I owned an 1989 22re pickup. And have swapped all the old wiring into my 84 pickup. There is a port under the hood next to the fuse box that says diagnostic in it. Jump the TE and E1 terminas and the check engine light will either blink at a constant rate (no code) or blink pause and blink again a certain number of blinks to give off codes. I had a GPS code and my MIL never went off.

So when you jump the box does someone need to be inside while doing this or does it keep repeating? I am asking if this is a two man operation or just one. I really would like to get this figured out

So when you jump the box does someone need to be inside while doing this or does it keep repeating? I am asking if this is a two man operation or just one. I really would like to get this figured out
One dude job. Insert paperclip. Go have a seat. Beverage is optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom