2nd Gen 4runner diff lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolute night and day difference between a Lockrite and a Detroit... again, having had both. The 94 had a Spartan that was very irritating
Guess I need to drive your 4R and see how the Detroit handles.

Had a Lock-rite in the front and a Detroit in the rear of Patch ('84 Xcab). Hated the Detroit. Let me rephrase that, I hated it ...... on the pavement. Didn't really notice it in the dirt. But I hated it on the pavement, did I mention that?
Then there was it wearing out the bores for the side 'gears' in the case at about 30k miles. New case cost 89% of a whole new Detroit. Bushing the bores with oil-lite bronze flanged bushings & machining those to size after install got it to about 110k miles when they failed again. Wasn't sure how much longer I was going to have the truck, so, sigh..... I put another Detroit in it. This time a complete new drop-out from Marlin. Sold the truck having put about 130k on it total in the two decades that I owned it. Never did like those Detroits.

Resolved when I bought the '88 4rnnr that I would NOT put a Detroit in it. Went ARB's since I was installing an OBA system anyway. AND I wanted an air horn!
ARB's are transformative for driving less extreme than rock-crawling. I would consider an OX in axles that it is made for. I would consider OEM Toyota electric lockers for those axles. I would go directly to a spool for rock crawling and skip the Detroit completely.

That said, I rode in a SWB rig with a rear Detroit (a so-called 'soft-locker') and it wasn't terribly noticeable. I've lived with one long enough, still won't persuade me to own another one.

Josey is right. The OEM e-lockers go fast from craigslist or anywhere else, unless you want to pay $1300 for a used one. I was at a wrecker today, and all the toyota diffs were gone, not just the lockers. Interesting market.

Have you ever driven in the snow with a Detroit? Either have I... 'cause ya can't. Okay, that's a bit dramatic. But, it does suck. If you even breath on the throttle in a turn, you're drifting. Even going straight - if you don't just easy into the throttle, the backend will want to swap places with the frontend.

I loved the simplicity of my Detroits (and LockRite) but no way will I put one in the '84 Xcab. I want selectable this time. I have a feeling it'll be ARBs when I regear. I may schedule a colonoscopy that day just to round out the experience.

OMG... I forgot about that article. I remember reading it now, about 2 months after I had my first one. And here we are, 10 years later, and conveniently I have an annual physical appointment on Friday. Guess what he will prescribe...

I wonder if he still sends out those certificates?

I have driven a Detroit in the snow. In Death Valley. Several times. And once over Military Pass on the eastern flank of Mt. Shasta. Another reason to dislike them.

Sorry, married to an RN who works in the Endoscopy field.

Have you ever driven in the snow with a Detroit? Either have I... 'cause ya can't. Okay, that's a bit dramatic. But, it does suck. If you even breath on the throttle in a turn, you're drifting. Even going straight - if you don't just easy into the throttle, the backend will want to swap places with the frontend.

Yes I’ve driven in the snow w Detroits. In a k2500, a suburban, an 85 xtra cab, an 88 4Runner and a 97 4Runner. In Colorado, New Mexico and Washington state with the 97. Ya be careful but it’s doable. Have extra weight, stay outta the throttle and have fun whipping s***ties everywhere.
Everything is a compromise. I’ll gladly take the benefits of the Detroit’s and accept the few failings, even in a daily driver. I respect you guys wanting select ability but I don’t accept badmouthing a device that really works for a lotta folks

Sorry, married to an RN who works in the Endoscopy field.
Ask her what happens when Propofol isn't administered properly.

Hey OP,

I had a 92 4Runner a long time ago and i installed factory 4.88 gears w/ Aussie Lockers F&R and it still maintained pretty decent road mannerisms. It definitely added a lot of clicking, popping and clanking going around turns but being in my high teens/early 20s, it didn't bother me.

I have E-lockers in my 88 and every now and again i have to pull the actuator, regrease a few things and check function. The autolockers are nice for having the "install and forget about it" mindset.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

-M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom