GX470 Interior Spare Tire Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is just to share information with the community, and say thanks to Orion.

I wanted to relocate the spare to the interior to make room for an auxiliary fuel tank. So, I shamelessly copied a design by Orion
(found here) Builds - '05 GX470 "build"...

Mine was put together by Chinchilla Iron work in Hempstead NY for $175. I'm very happy with the result. No shakes or rattles.

Thanks Orion!

IMG_20190718_1610510.jpg

IMG_20190718_1607424.jpg

Looks good - Simple, and beefy.

Glad you found my idea to be a good one, and that a local place could replicate it.

EDIT: A note - I always ran a small strap over the tire (but under the cover - Might not work w/ your cover, mine was open on the bottom)...attached to the 2 tie downs on that side. An extra hold down in case of a sudden stop (accident). Probably not necessary, but I'm a "two is one, and one is none" kind of guy!

- Brian

Not at all. When I replace the spare with new rubber, I'll make sure to drive on it for a few days before bringing it inside.

Can you post some dimensions of the bracket? I'd lie to get one of these fabbed up my self.

I did something similar. I used a piece of steel that fit in that bracket bent 90* on both ends so it didn't slip out. Then i ran a ratchet strap through the bore of the wheel and through the spokes and one over the tire attached to the factory tie downs. It was simple and never budged. Only reason I moved it was to pack my fridge.

Matt, it's about 8x14", but you're definitely going to need to have a fabricator build it to fit -- the tolerances on the rod that goes into the 3rd row seat are very small. It must click in, but not rattle. Also, the angle of the wheel mount will change depending on tire size and carpet/mats. There's also an offset angle at the lower mount.

Me and a friend made one for mine too.

It would lean a tiny bit away from the center of the vehicle...unless you had yours made to order for that size, then the bracket could just be made larger to keep everything perfectly upright. An extra inch would also likely force you to keep the rear seat on the side the wheel is mounted quite upright, but it would fit.

I moved so my shop is not up and running yet. Once I get 220v wired in, I wouldn't mind making a few.

I’ll be first in line. Let me know and I’ll send my cell number, that’s the easiest way since I’m not in here everyday.

I too really liked this mod when I first saw it. I contacted Steve at Mountain Passes who said he would male me one but pointed out as the original post does, that it still needs a strap to keep it all
Together. I was leaving town on a road trip that same day that the first post went up about this. I have the aux gas tank and my spare was laying flat in the back and having it upright would have helped. I KNOW this is very “rigged”, but considering you need a strap either way, I have been using this snapped into the third row bracket then use a ratchet tie down as well. Been fine since July...
63939F14-9F85-46C5-90B0-23A1BEDF4F88.jpeg

I simply welded a nut onto a rod and I swear it works fine. No one will see it either way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom