New to site, just bought 71'/78' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, and thank you. I have been lurking a while but not owning a land cruiser I felt weird about joining. The good news is, I now own one. This site has been very helpful in my search and will be invaluable to my build.

The background story to this point is a little..... backwards I guess. About 2 years ago I was doing research on a new vehicle for my wife. I'm a bit of an old fashioned freak who cant stand throw away culture and I like how things were built long ago, when they built things to be better than the competition not just about pure profit. Back to the point, so we were looking at new vehicles and I was completely put off by them, everything we looked at seemed to me to have a 10 year life span at best, so I did some serious digging. I'm a bit of an audiophile so I've always been attracted to the quality of products coming out of Japan in the 1970's. I though "if I could just find vehicle for her that was built in Japan." Well low and behold a used LX 570 came available, I did my research and boom we bought it. The LX was 10 years old had 170k miles on it, it rode and looked like it could have been manufactured 2 years ago, I was and still am very impressed. I was so impressed that I started studying up on Land Cruisers and right away fell in love with the FJ40. Now, the one I have is a bit of a mutt as far as originality is concerned but I'm not looking to win car shows, just a fun ride that looks great. Here is what I know about my FJ

1971 Frame
1978 F2 Engine
1978 4 speed transmission
1978 front axle with disk breaks
Gozzard composite fiberglass tub, roof, sides, ambulance doors

Right now it is cygnus white but I'm planning on painting it fashion green as an homage to the VIN year and the frame, plus I think that colour looks great.

I just got her 2 weeks ago so I haven't had much time to really get much done but so far I've "restored" the gauge cluster and most of the knobs, I've painted the air intake, cleaned an inch of mudoilgunk off the engine and transmission (still lots of cleaning and detail work to do in the engine bay) I've removed the bib, bezel and wire mesh grill thing I guess you'd call it and pained that. Its starting to snow here so today was the last time until the spring I'll have her on the road, took my wife and daughter for a fun rip around town now she is up on jack stands and ready for me to figure out where to start lol.

p.s. Bezel was upside down when I bought it
20191014_185715.jpg
20191014_185956.jpg
20191015_195018.jpg
20191018_112013.jpg
20191019_165527.jpg

Nice. Sounds like rust won’t be much of an issue for you. I’m not sure how it rides for you, but my ‘76 had wore out stock springs and bushings and no name shocks and would break your back on anything other than a perfectly smooth road. I went with used lift springs, new bushings and new Bilstein shocks and the ride is a million times better now. I think the Bilsteins made the biggest difference, then the new bushings and the springs last. Focus on making it run and stop well, then make it comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I’m looking to do FJ60 power steering upgrade one of these days. Good luck and welcome.

Welcome to the site. That's an interesting tub for a 71-78 40. It appears to be a 79 and later version, with gas tank under the tub. Gauge cluster looks good.

It's your 40, make it yours. Congrats on your purchase.

Welcome to the site. That's an interesting tub for a 71-78 40. It appears to be a 79 and later version, with gas tank under the tub. Gauge cluster looks good.
You guys dont miss a thing lol. You are correct, I believe Gozzard makes pre-1979 and post 79' this one is the 79 version. The gas tank is full of holes so PO put an aluminum cel under the back. One day I'd like to replace the original and run both tanks but that's a long way away.

Hey welcome im about 20 mins east of yah! That one had been for sale for a couple years. Always would pop up on kijiji searches.

Enjoy hopefully see yah around!

Hey welcome im about 20 mins east of yah! That one had been for sale for a couple years. Always would pop up on kijiji searches.

Enjoy hopefully see yah around!
Hey! I saw you on here months ago, was following some of your posts. Glad to have another Sask guy around, I haven't seen too many FJs in Regina, one green and one red in 7 years of living here. I know it had been for sale a while, it was in La Ronge so was quite a drive but shes in pretty decent shape other than a few leaks (a purist would disagree lol). I look forward to getting it into tip top shape by summer, will be a lot of work and I'll likely have some questions but this site has been super helpful. I actually tried to friend you on instagram a while ago as Joe Semeniuk is a friend of mine and I was curious about more pictures of your bj.

Oh nice ive know Joe for 20 years at least!

There are a few kicking around my buddy owns a very nice red 78 with aqualu tub and another buddy owns a green 42 as well as a 45 rock crawler tube buggy. There is also a couple in hiding around town i have on my radr to try to pry away from owners before they just rot away sitting for 20 more years.
Follow me on insta bj42_yo

Just changed my 2F oil pan gasket, not very fun by yourself, but feeling a good sense of accomplishment. Went seat shopping at the auto wreckers today and didn't have much luck. Thinking of getting the procar 90s but $$$

Seats? Consider seats from a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Mine have the heat option, are electrically operated and have the shoulder harness built in. Paid $80 US for the pair from LKQ.

Seats? Consider seats from a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Mine have the heat option, are electrically operated and have the shoulder harness built in. Paid $80 US for the pair from LKQ.
Did you have to fab up new mounts? Thanks for the info, all I heard was mostly BMW, Audi, PT cruiser seats most guys like, but didnt have much luck finding a decent set of those, I'll have to go back look at the sebring. 👍

Yes, the shop that did the paint and body made new mounts which are bolted to the floor. I eliminated the tool box under the drivers seat since it was so rusted out and moved the gas tank to the rear and they made a new floor on the passenger side. I can forward photos if you want them.

Yes, the shop that did the paint and body made new mounts which are bolted to the floor. I eliminated the tool box under the drivers seat since it was so rusted out and moved the gas tank to the rear and they made a new floor on the passenger side. I can forward photos if you want them.
Nice, if I find some decent sebring seats I'll hit you up for those photos, appreciate it.

Did a little "beautification" over the holliday's. Have been running her every day or so here, after 15w40 oil change she doesnt seem to be smoking much at all, a tiny bit at startup but none once warmed up. There is some stutter if I'm quick on the throttle so i imagine I'll need to look into some carb adjustments.... slow but sure.

IMG_20200101_140222_594.jpg

I kind of suspected the hesitation might have been from old gas and that turned out to be true, so I'm glad I didn't tear the carb apart. I put in some new gas and boom working as it should! Next I have to address the suspension, it is old and working fine, but the tires need to be changed and I'll be dammed if I'm going to drop nearly $1500 on rubber and not put a new set of leaf springs with enough room for 32s

Keep talking and I'll be stuffing 35s under s 4 inch lift..... hmmmm

As luck would have it, I am building a '72/'77 hybrid and about to get the '77 front axle under it. Interested in how your PO ran the brake line down to the axle, as the '71 is on the passenger side of axle and the disc axle is on the right. Could you post a pic of that? If not, no worries. I pretty much have decided to get a custom 34 inch SS braided hose made and route it down the axle and up to the chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom