My First Accident (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BakerFJ

Benny Bodangus
Threads
Got in my first accident ever the other night... Figured I'd post the story and my progress on repairs here as I'd kinda like to talk about it and seek some advice on repairs.
So the other night it was raining pretty hard, no biggie. I've always been a good driver. I was driving down a curvy hill behind this newer Ford F150, and he came around a blind turn and basically parked his truck on the road for a deer he saw, which I don't know if I believe because I think the oncoming traffic would have either slowed or hit it. But I'm biased because I'm salty. Anyways, I come around the blind turn at about 30 to find the dude parked on the street. Couldnt go around him due to oncoming traffic, and didnt know what awaited me if I took the grass, theres a ravine that road winds around so wasn't gonna take my chances. I was immediately on my ABS and turned right so i would just hit the corner of my FZJ80 with the corner of hit bumper to minimize damage. Unfortunately for me, even after reading the warnings about those crappy bull bars causing more damage than not, I left mine on because I'm young and "It would never happen to me." Psh, little did I know. The bull bar ended up pushing back into my grille, denting the metal under headlight piece, putting a nice big dent in the front of my hood, and my driver fender along with putting a big ol hole at the base of my radiator. Followed the dude for about a mile waiting for him to pull over, and then he finally did. Exchanged info etc, dude got the cops involved. Kinda glad cause I had no idea what to do other than give him my basic info haha.
Afterwards, I looked the front end over to ensure it was safe to drive. I didn't see anything puntured in my radiator so I assumed it was safe to drive the 40 minutes home. Not. Somehow the impact caused the base of the water channels at the engine side to rip up, noticed it was steaming so I pulled over and took a look. Saw my pretty red coolant everywhere, sweet, gonna have me a long night. Tried the drive until hot, pull over to cool down, etc. until I was able to exit and park in it an open area while I called Triple A... Got home hours later.
Assessed the damage-damage today, feel so gutted that my undamaged Land Cruiser is now the contrary. RIP. I'm currently a low-paid intern so I will have to find a way to fix the cosmetic damge to the best of my abilities until I drive back home to Texas in November. Currently gonna focus on the important stuff; radiator, new transmission cooler lines and oil cooler lines while I'm in there, that's the stuff that will make or break my trip home from Pennsylvania.
Needless to say, never putting that bull bar back on. I'll accept the naked front end.
Here's some pics of the damage, if anyone has parts they'd be willing to help me out with for a good deal let me know, figured it can't hurt to ask.

I'll be getting a new radiator and lines. As far as body damage goes, I'm hoping when I get home my dad can help me repair the dents and such. I'll have to do something about the hood though. Any advice is appreciated!!
20191023_154436_HDR.jpg
20191023_135307_HDR.jpg
20191023_154436_HDR.jpg
Snapchat-1447854360.jpg
20191024_011039.jpg
20191024_011117_HDR.jpg

That sucks, sorry for your loss. Always drive defensively, as there is no telling the direction of stupid stuff that other people create. I've had a few minor accidents on road, all but one the result of other people's dumbness, but I've managed to avoid far worse by paying attention and driving with foresight.

You've got your priorities right. Get the cooling system fixed first, along with other mechanicals. Look around in Texas for pick-a-parts, lots more 80 series there than in Pennsylavania, plus a few MUD vendors like arctyrex IIRC.

That sucks, sorry for your loss. Always drive defensively, as there is no telling the direction of stupid stuff that other people create. I've had a few minor accidents on road, all but one the result of other people's dumbness, but I've managed to avoid far worse by paying attention and driving with foresight.

You've got your priorities right. Get the cooling system fixed first, along with other mechanicals. Look around in Texas for pick-a-parts, lots more 80 series there than in Pennsylavania, plus a few MUD vendors like arctyrex IIRC.
Add an ARB while you’re at it. :)

I feel your pain. I hit a deer about a month ago and spent a good bit of time rebuilding bent bracketry and sheet metal on the LF of the truck.

Where in PA are you? I’m on the PA/NJ line north of Philadelphia. I have a NIB Denso radiator (2219362) for a ‘97 that you are welcome to. Not sure if it will fit your ‘93, you have to do your own research on that.

Also have plenty of tools and workspace if you need it.

PM me if I can be of use.

Protip, depending on the state you should always get the police involved.

I've only been in one accident my whole life and it was when I was 19 and an older couple turned out of a plaza and came across 4 lanes to hit me(I figured they wanted to get in the left lane to make a u-turn at the next turn out). I was in a bright blue g35 so I thought they had to see me, turns out they didn't (Now I always drive defensively and assume no one sees me). We exchanged insurance information, they were super nice, a couple days later once my insurance contacted theirs, they said they were never in an accident and claimed to know nothing about the incident, so without a police report its your word vs theirs.

I feel your pain. I hit a deer about a month ago and spent a good bit of time rebuilding bent bracketry and sheet metal on the LF of the truck.

Where in PA are you? I’m on the PA/NJ line north of Philadelphia. I have a NIB Denso radiator (2219362) for a ‘97 that you are welcome to. Not sure if it will fit your ‘93, you have to do your own research on that.

^^^^^

GOOD MAN.....!

Radiator should fit, but if not....I know there are others here that have removed CSF 2517 (all metal) radiators from their Cruisers and are not using them. They might see this and let him have it for the cost of shipping?

Add an ARB while you’re at it. :)
When I get back home I plan on fabricating my own custom bumper, have always thought it'd be a fun project!

I live in Hellertown, and I really appreciate it! Unfortunately found they don't match up though. Although I did my research last night and already ordered a TYC radiator as it's something I didn't want to skimp on as far as price vs quality (although Denso is top notch) since I have a long trip ahead of me in November. Read a lot of guys reccomend it and it runs about 10° cooler than others.

I'm gonna try my hand at some body work when the time comes, my job has enough body tools to tap some stuff out, in any event I can get it better than it was before, then just rattle can it to last me until I can paint it proper with my dad Not sure how I'll do the hood, probably use a stud gun and tap it while using it. Or cut out the layered metal underneath the dent, we'll see, not my top priority at the moment.

When I get back home I plan on fabricating my own custom bumper, have always thought it'd be a fun project!

I live in Hellertown, and I really appreciate it! Unfortunately found they don't match up though. Although I did my research last night and already ordered a TYC radiator as it's something I didn't want to skimp on as far as price vs quality (although Denso is top notch) since I have a long trip ahead of me in November. Read a lot of guys reccomend it and it runs about 10° cooler than others.

I'm gonna try my hand at some body work when the time comes, my job has enough body tools to tap some stuff out, in any event I can get it better than it was before, then just rattle can it to last me until I can paint it proper with my dad Not sure how I'll do the hood, probably use a stud gun and tap it while using it. Or cut out the layered metal underneath the dent, we'll see, not my top priority at the moment.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck.

Let me know if you hit any snags. I'm only about an hour south of you.

Is 'home' Cedar Park?

Forgot to snap a pic of the routing for the transmission cooler lines, could anyone help with a pic of theirs?
On a side note, why do our vehicles use a oil cooler in front of the radiator AND the cooler internal to the radiator? Weird that it utilizes both.

Forgot to snap a pic of the routing for the transmission cooler lines, could anyone help with a pic of theirs?
On a side note, why do our vehicles use a oil cooler in front of the radiator AND the cooler internal to the radiator? Weird that it utilizes both.

Internal route also helps 'warm' the transmission fluid in cold weather.

Internal route also helps 'warm' the transmission fluid in cold weather.

Oh, that's interesting! Nice bit of info to know. I suppose in a pinch, it could be bypassed.

Oh, that's interesting! Nice bit of info to know. I suppose in a pinch, it could be bypassed.

Yes, and many folks in warmer climates do.

Stock, most cars now use the radiator for both engine and transmission cooling. A common thing most car people do is to bypass the transmission cooling lines to the radiator and add an external cooler, to avoid mixing coolant and trans fluid. If yours is stock you should only have the AC condenser and radiator behind the grill.

I am still hoping someone could send a picture of their transmission cooler hose routing in the engine bay... None of my diagrams show it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom