Recommendations for possible 3B rebuild in BC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Can anyone recommend a good shop/mechanic in southwest British Columbia who could take a look at my BJ42 3B motor and tell me if I need complete rebuild (vs. rings/cylinders) and then do the work? Looking for someone experienced and trustworthy. Reasonable prices a plus as well. :) Thanks.

Try Darryl (toydoc@shaw.ca) , he's in North Vancouver. Factory trained Landcruiser mechanic. Really good guy!

I had mine rebuilt last year by Jonathan Hebden, Firestorm mechanical, he’s out of Crofton on the island. 250-709-7820
certified diesel mechanic, has done several 3bs, and other land cruisers, John from Radd cruisers recommended him to me. He was great to work with and did a great job.
Just be sure to use the mls head gasket if youve got a turbo not the one in the rebuild kit.

Thanks to you both! I’ll give these two a call. Appreciate the help.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good shop/mechanic in southwest British Columbia who could take a look at my BJ42 3B motor and tell me if I need complete rebuild (vs. rings/cylinders) and then do the work? Looking for someone experienced and trustworthy. Reasonable prices a plus as well. :) Thanks.

I would do a basic inspection yourself and see how it compares with the mechanics report. I would start with a compression test and adding oil down the spark plug holes to differentiate between valve or cylinder problems if its low.

What worries you about the engine at the moment?

If it does need a rebuld, dont forget the fuel injection system. An engine is only as good as the fuel injection.

Thanks Rosco - it burns a quart of oil in 500km, lots of blue smoke at start up, compression (dry) is 340 on average with none of the cylinders remarkably different than the others. I am willing to mess around and teach myself on most things, but feel like this one is probably over my head. The first mechanic mentioned above and I have been in touch and he's about 90 minutes from me. Once I get my &*^%$ EDIC relay back together, I'll drop it off with him. Appreciate the input.

I would try and get the pricing in 3 parts. 1 for machining, 1 for engine kit and 1 for the labor price. Its good practice to include the flywheel machining which is on top of the machining for the block ect.
You may also want to have the inlet and outlet manifolds planed true, or at least checked. My 1HZ manifolds had over a 1mm difference
The engine kit would be around $8-900 from Engines Australia.
Ask a machinist what a 4cyl diesel like a B engine typically costs.
And then ask a mechanic about his labor charges.

But I have a preference for the machinist to assemble the engine, that way you don't get the machinist and mechanic blaming each other if there is a problem.
You can save a bit of money removing and reinstalling the engine yourself, its not hard.
The machinist will want you to completely remove all nuts and bolts from the block

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom