Speedometer failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would unhitch the cable, it maybe nearly broken. Cables break more often than gauges .
I cant hear it, my speakers are not connected.

Cable is the going consensus on another group. I’ll just have to put the truck in the garage sooner this winter and add another part to my winter shopping build.

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying based on my experience, it's the instrument itself. I had my cable out twice inspecting it, based on the consensus. But a "new" speedo fixed the problem I was having. Let's hope it is the cable, definitely cheaper fix.

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying based on my experience, it's the instrument itself. I had my cable out twice inspecting it, based on the consensus. But a "new" speedo fixed the problem I was having. Let's hope it is the cable, definitely cheaper fix.

Not saying you’re wrong or right, no offense intended. I haven’t had time to sort the issue. In all fairness I will likely order a new gauge and cable to fix this. I just don’t like the idea of losing my mileage counter :bang:

Absolutely none taken! I just had that dash apart more times than necessary, thats all. Just sharing my experience. @joekatana may have some spare speedos at a very fair price. He hooked me up and solved my problem.

dried bits of vaseline inside the speedo mechanism was the cause of a similar behaviour on my truck.
since the needle was allover the place, I opened the speedo, only to find that small bits of dried vaseline where catching on the speedo drum (thats a part you find inside the speedo). cleaned it with earbud sticks , running ok two years later.

if you go this route, be VERY carefull not to touch with your fingers the speedo dial plate. its difficult to remove finger marks after that.

Hey, @divemedic, did you find any resolution on this?

As of this morning I have the same issue. Though mine seems jumpier, sometimes maxing out. And any time the needle passes 120 kph my speed chime goes off... “beep, beep, beep...”

Nic, Before you tackle an expensive solution try squirting some graphite powder down the speedometer cable. If it doesn't help you haven't lost much

And any time the needle passes 120 kph my speed chime goes off... “beep, beep, beep...”

Only some markets get that. Im not sure if you can turn it off, or if you disconnect the wire the beep beep mechanism.

I never got around to trouble shooting it. I figured if Johnny L pulled me over I’d plead ignorance.... funny you mention it, the issue went away until about two days ago. Once I get settled in my new garage I plan on stripping the 70 down to fix/restore a bunch of things. The speedo cable is a long list.

I don’t have the speed chime, but if I did I’d be following Charles’ advise first. keep in mind my truck behaved normally for months.

Only some markets get that. Im not sure if you can turn it off, or if you disconnect the wire the beep beep mechanism.

Somewhere on the forum there is a thread to re-wire it to chime if you leave the lights on when you turn off the ignition. I'll be doing that when I get around to it...

I never got around to trouble shooting it. I figured if Johnny L pulled me over I’d plead ignorance.... funny you mention it, the issue went away until about two days ago. Once I get settled in my new garage I plan on stripping the 70 down to fix/restore a bunch of things. The speedo cable is a long list.

I don’t have the speed chime, but if I did I’d be following Charles’ advise first. keep in mind my truck behaved normally for months.

Mine was behaving normally. This was out of the blue this morning. Interestingly, once I got out of church and drove the truck again the problem was gone. I'm wondering if it was the cable and it was perhaps due to "cold" temps. It's been dipping into the 50's at night and it's probably the coldest temps this truck has ever seen.

Do update this thread if you sort the issue out... I'll do likewise. I may try lubing the speedo cable.

It might not be the cable or the gauge. The drive gear went out twice in my 1985 4Runner. The equivalent part for my 94 FZJ75 is 33403-69225, Gear sub-Assy, MTM. Looks like it’s still available on partsouq.com for $20. It shows a lot of 70 series interchanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom