GROM Navigation, Infotainment and Video Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
Has anyone installed one of these units? Looks like a decent upgrade for the factory radio. I need to call to see if this will be able to work with the Torque App.

Has anyone installed one of these units? Looks like a decent upgrade for the factory radio. I need to call to see if this will be able to work with the Torque App.

There is a thread on the original vline. Looks like it is getting AA and carplay support. Also requires a separate microphone. Original review showed it to be a bit slow. I am waiting for beatsonic to come out with theirs, which seems to integrate a bit better (at least on the LX570). Of course the vline does a lot more as it is a full android system, which explains the delays.

I bought the vline2 back in July, I love it it works very well. I haven’t used torq app yet. I use Spotify, pandora, Waze, and google maps. 08’lx

I bought the vline2 back in July, I love it it works very well. I haven’t used torq app yet. I use Spotify, pandora, Waze, and google maps. 08’lx
How was the installation?

For the VLANE2 I assume you are using AUX option to enable the system. Can you confirm?
When the system is enabled can you play regular radio?
Can you control climate control on the screen?
Any limitations with system on?

I installed in the glovebox. Took me about 2hrs. I worked car stereo install while in college so that helped. All factory functions work including rear dvd. I turn my phone into a hotspot and the vline connects automatically after the initial setup.

For the VLANE2 I assume you are using AUX option to enable the system. Can you confirm?
When the system is enabled can you play regular radio?
Can you control climate control on the screen?
Any limitations with system on?
Yea the aux. you cannot have car radio and vline “playing” at same time. You can download a radio app from play store. Everything else works the same.

This looks promising. Can you explain a bit more how this works with the factory equipment and functionality? Does it replace the home screen or add a button, etc etc

This looks promising. Can you explain a bit more how this works with the factory equipment and functionality? Does it replace the home screen or add a button, etc etc
Again I have a LX, you push the dvd/aux button and cycle to the vline. I have dvd, hdd, vline to cycle thru. Steering wheel controls work as well.

That is great to hear it works with the 08 LX! Have you tried CarPlay or Android Auto, or native apps only? Any issues or quirks so far?

So I'm a little fuzzy on the Grom and the Beat Sonic (that is purportedly in development). They both add CarPlay, but there are some limitations...? I've read through each website and both threads, but I'm not enough of a mobile audio aficionado to be clear about what each is offering.

Does the CarPlay functionality work only when tethered via aux/usb? Does it work right on startup or are you always having to cycle through a CD menu everytime you start the car to get it going? How much if any of the existing functions are actually lost?

I would pay a significant premium to get CarPlay in my 200, but not at the expense of having to cycle through things or do lots of plug/unplug to get things to work. At that point, I'm as likely to use it as I am right now... which is to say zero.

That is great to hear it works with the 08 LX! Have you tried CarPlay or Android Auto, or native apps only? Any issues or quirks so far?
I’ve not tried CarPlay it’s android auto. No issues, I do recommend getting the bluetooth keyboard it makes setting up passwords and stuff way easier.

EA4CB304-C9B0-4A62-9EC4-CF8D377F8B0F.jpeg
4ADC13C5-4AD3-43FA-A8CB-CD93D8F75205.jpeg

velcro is supporting the unit. It takes a lot of space and the cables can’t be bent to much. My usb for phone charging is in the ash tray. I might move the vline to the center consul if I have a day with nothing to do.

Do carplay and android auto require subscriptions to use or is that just with BMW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom