Magnaflow now owns Bosal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The OEM design of vertical cats and under frame crossover makes it easy to crush parts when off road. The Magnaflow unit allows more ground clearance. If you omit the 2nd cat, you can do an over the frame crossover. That clears out the entire passenger side.
20190927_160051.jpg

Last edited:
I had a sad experience with a Mangaflow cat in a non Toyota application. It was sadness and sapped power. Switched to a Walker and never looked back.

I had been wondering if removing the second cat would throw a CEL. Thanks for the info. I had ordered a full bosal exhaust a couple of years ago because mine was completely done and every few months I've had to tighten the bolts connecting the second cat to the 1st. This will solve that problem lol.

My 7 year old Magnaflow cats are throwing a P0420 code.

It’s a 1995 and I’m in Texas, do I actually need to replace the cats for any reason? I don’t have emissions testing any more...

The OEM design of vertical cats and under frame crossover makes it easy to crush parts when off road. The Magnaflow unit allows more ground clearance. If you omit the 2nd cat, you can do an over the frame crossover. That clears out the entire passenger side.
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had it this way and was the cat-back system custom? Resonator and muffler new as well? Any issues introducing an extra couple tight angles to go over the frame as opposed to the straighter original path?

I don't know how long cats are supposed to last but 23 years seems like good service. However Magnaflow's only seem to last 5-10 based on responses here.

well had I known it was a Bosal, I could have saved myself 100 bucks!

The rep at magnaflow isn't going to try and make it right. He said I could've sent it back, unused. I felt I made a pretty compelling argument that its a damn sneaky tactic to box an inferior product as there own, and charge you full price for it. The difference being 225 for the bosal and about 310 for the Magnaflow. shame on them.

order a Bosal, put it in the Magnaflow box, take a big s*** in the box, then return it as the original order.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had it this way and was the cat-back system custom? Resonator and muffler new as well? Any issues introducing an extra couple tight angles to go over the frame as opposed to the straighter original path?

I don't know how long cats are supposed to last but 23 years seems like good service. However Magnaflow's only seem to last 5-10 based on responses here.
After crushing/replacing/crushing/replacing a few times, I realized it was time to go custom. Any local hot rod shop does this.
I had the Magnaflow downpipes/cat ceramic coated by a local shop before installation. Hopefully, it will last longer. But everything eventually rots away here in the northeast.

20190924_141213.jpg

I had also spent time with Ryan @OTRAMM trying to coordinate schedules and get down to his shop to make it out of stainless, but we couldn't make it work, and I can't be without a vehicle. Time was a major factor, and I was starting to become brain damaged from sucking CO.

My OEM muffler was badly caved in on the front lip, so I ordered a Bosal replacement. Bosal 228-241 is the muffler with an O2 sensor bung and flange. The shop cut the pipes apart and used what they needed to make it all work. The Bosal muffler is a smaller diameter than OEM so I gained a bit of clearance.
There is no resonator. The exit pipe from the muffler follows the OEM path over the frame crossmember, and loops over the right rear frame rail and exits just behind the rear tire. I had them cut it flush with the rear bumper skid.
I had a custom skid plate made for the lowest part of the Magnaflow that protects the cat. flange, and lower part of the downpipe.

The sound is just about stock with a bit of a deep growl just off idle. There's a bit of resonance around 1600 rpm.
As far as the bends go, it's not a sports sedan. I don't worry about things like that.

Last edited:
After crushing/replacing/crushing/replacing a few times, I realized it was time to go custom. Any local hot rod shop does this.
I had the Magnaflow downpipes/cat ceramic coated by a local shop before installation. Hopefully, it will last longer. But everything eventually rots away here in the northeast.

I had also spent time with Ryan @OTRAMM trying to coordinate schedules and get down to his shop to make it out of stainless, but we couldn't make it work, and I can't be without a vehicle. Time was a major factor, and I was starting to become brain damaged from sucking CO.

Awesome, thank you. Great idea on the ceramic coating. I'll look into that Bosal muffler option as I start to put a parts list together. Cheers

So, I see the prices have went up on Amazon. Thanks Obama ;)

Wondering if anyone has had any luck ordering the actual Magnaflow from Amazon within the last few weeks?

I ordered it last week on amazon and got the mangnaflow. To be honest, I was expecting a bit better craftsmanship. Some of the welding looked a little spotty to me but I inspect welds for a living.

Awesome. I'm going to need it at some point. I might wait to see if the prices go down though. I just wanted to confirm that someone recently got the Magnaflow and not the Bosal. Thanks!

In case i haden't mentioned, my fj80 is a 94. The O2 sensors are on the Y pipe before the cats. Don't think the Magnaflow setup would work properly. Should bolt up but O2 readings would be all over the place.

In case i haden't mentioned, my fj80 is a 94. The O2 sensors are on the Y pipe before the cats. Don't think the Magnaflow setup would work properly. Should bolt up but O2 readings would be all over the place.

You could just put the o2’s in the pair valve air rail and block off the magnaflow o2 bung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom