Just picked up a 1978 FJ40...or what's left of one! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But definitely good to bring up that that is the right way to do it!

Once you get the caster and pinion angle sorted out, you likely wouldn't need a heim joint solution.

Once you get the caster and pinion angle sorted out, you likely wouldn't need a heim joint solution.

I'm hoping not, it's pretty low on the list. It's already made a huge difference just having the pinion nut tightened up.

Who would've thought that having a loose pitman arm would cause the steering to suck...

The caster on the thing was -6, which is really not good.

OUCH - looks like a shackle reversal without the traditional "cut and turn".

The guy who:
recommended cutting and rewelding the spring perches at a more appropriate angle to help fix tha
has no business working on this rig.

There are some good off-road shops in Tuscon --- find them

OUCH - looks like a shackle reversal without the traditional "cut and turn".

The guy who: has no business working on this rig.

There are some good off-road shops in Tuscon --- find them

That's exactly what happened. Just did the shackle reversal and nothing else. Granted the shackle reversal looked like it was done well in and of itself, it wasn't done completely hence our horrible caster.

Unfortunately no real updates as of yet. I installed a new battery in it last week only to find all the brake fluid in the clutch master was gone. So now I have to bleed the lines. I've got a couple things left to do on my mini-truck and my Ford and then this thing will be getting the TLC it needs!

Unfortunately no real updates as of yet. I installed a new battery in it last week only to find all the brake fluid in the clutch master was gone. So now I have to bleed the lines. I've got a couple things left to do on my mini-truck and my Ford and then this thing will be getting the TLC it needs!
:rolleyes: c'monnnn hurrry up

I'll try I promise!! I do have some new seats coming for it that a friend is giving me, so that will be a fun install too.

Buuut if you do want some good reading material you can about my diesel conversion to my old Ford \/ (shameless plug :hillbilly:)

New seats huh?

Yeah the ones that are in it right now aren't very good because they don't slide! So it's fixed seating which is really annoying. The seats are out of a Datsun 280z and have the sliders but I haven't gotten them yet...waiting on my friend to get the racing buckets to replace them..can't complain too much right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom