October ROTM - Casner #8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darlene has to work super early Sunday AM, so looks like myself, Mom and possibly my Uncle Dave. Planning on being there as early as possible Saturday morning.

We will likely leave at one or two pm and hit the purple sage turn off about 2.5 hours later. Best guess is between 4 and 5 pm.

I have no idea what the purple sage exit is? Figure your talking about either Kachina Village or Pulliam Airport exit. Assume the Ham frequency is the usual one?

I have no idea what the purple sage exit is? Figure your talking about either Kachina Village or Pulliam Airport exit. Assume the Ham frequency is the usual one?
Purple Sage is the road just north of Ft Tuthill, and the Pulliam Airport exit off of 17.

Sadly, we are gonna have to bow out. I'm nowhere near ready... on the Land Cruiser front and the cold-weather camping gear front. And I've got some conflicts this weekend. Watching for the November ROTM...

See note from pitch.

Same radio station as always

Only know where the road is not the name. Wasn't sure if purple sage was a code for Panama Red. As in the song by New Riders of the Purple Sage. Not sure I should be sad being so old to remember the song or glad I was still able to. :hmm::meh:

Not sure it is long johns. Think jeans and layers would be a good option. Once the sun is up it warms up quickly. Wind is the wildcard, with the wind it can feel chilly.
Yesterday was 32 in the morning and in the upper 70s in the afternoon. Overnight only in the mid 40s today. Don't think rain gear be needed this year just prepare for a wide range of temperatures.

Here's the NOAA/NWS map point forecast for the camping area:

Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 31.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 54.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 63.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 35.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 65.

Standard beautiful autumn weather for the rim country.

Last edited:
Here's the NOAA/NWS map point forecast for the camping area:

Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 31.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 54.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 63.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 35.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 65.

Standard beautiful autumn weather for the rim country.

:bounce::bounce::bounce: excited for cold sleeping weather!

Cut up a two old stumps that I knocked over earlier this summer. Not sure how much I can load. If I knew no other 40s were coming might take the FJ62. M416 is back in the valley but still have my trailer made from a old Toyota pickup here. FJ40 has no radio so not even a option of driving it minus tunes, not that I could hear them anyway.
IMG_20191008_160117127.jpg

Cut up a two old stumps that I knocked over earlier this summer. Not sure how much I can load. If I knew no other 40s were coming might take the FJ62. M416 is back in the valley but still have my trailer made from a old Toyota pickup here. FJ40 has no radio so not even a option of driving it minus tunes, not that I could hear them anyway.
View attachment 2102496
I was originally going to bring one of my 40’s but now just the 4Runner, only one driver on this outing.

Change of plans, we will be departing the valley early Friday morning and should arrive at camp around noon. Life sometimes changes our plans and this is one of those times.

@Living in the Past sorry for the late notice but looks like lunchtime at the campsite Friday.

Excited to see everyone

How about a simple happy hour Saturday evening around 5pm We will set up a few tables and everyone can bring a simple hors d oeuvre to share or just come mingle after everyone gets back to camp from the run.

Thoughts?

How about a simple happy hour Saturday evening around 5pm We will set up a few tables and everyone can bring a simple hors d oeuvre to share or just come mingle after everyone gets back to camp from the run.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Sarah was asking if there was going to be a potluck.

Last years 5pm happy hour with several pop ups under drizzling skies was a good time. Cleared up just in time to cook up all those fajitas!

Classic Casner

Change of plans, we will be departing the valley early Friday morning and should arrive at camp around noon. Life sometimes changes our plans and this is one of those times.

@Living in the Past sorry for the late notice but looks like lunchtime at the campsite Friday.

Excited to see everyone

If your sure your taking Purple Sage that turns into FR 532 I will work to meet you where 532 mets 231. Have decided to tow the 40 regardless if no other 40s will be there. Gassing up at Maverick which is right by Woody Mountain road (231). Funny gas is actually cheaper in Flagstaff right now. Almost a dime less than Costco. I'll have the Ham on and have my phone.

Have four milk crates full of split wood ready to go.

Sadly, we are gonna have to bow out. I'm nowhere near ready... on the Land Cruiser front and the cold-weather camping gear front. And I've got some conflicts this weekend. Watching for the November ROTM...

Sorry you and the family wouldn't be there was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your troopy. Is this colder than desert camping in the Middle East? Nice thing about it is high desert and has large temperature swings during the day. Few days back temperature varied over forty degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom