Power steering complete loss 1991 hzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, after a couple of days out at lancelin dunes after turning a few hard corners at speed I lost power steering completely and it's become extremely hard to steer the car. I cant see any leaks at all and resivior is where it should be.... I have a 150km drive home and was wondering if there were anything I could try to fix it and would it be safe to drive home as it is... I can steer the thing it's just extremely heavy and I really have to use a lot of force to turn it.... makes me worried that something will snap... any thoughts?

Hi guys, after a couple of days out at lancelin dunes after turning a few hard corners at speed I lost power steering completely and it's become extremely hard to steer the car. I cant see any leaks at all and resivior is where it should be.... I have a 150km drive home and was wondering if there were anything I could try to fix it and would it be safe to drive home as it is... I can steer the thing it's just extremely heavy and I really have to use a lot of force to turn it.... makes me worried that something will snap... any thoughts?
Did you check all your linkages and your nuts?

It is a gear driven pump... You can see fluid in the reservoir?
1. Jack up the front of the truck, run the engine and have someone turn the wheel while you look at the knuckles and linkage.
2. Run the truck with the reservoir cap off and see if there is movement of the fluid in the reservoir.
3. You may also pull the low pressure side off and have it aimed at a bucket, then have someone crank the engine and see if fluid comes out.
You may have stripped the gear, the key or just kinked a hose. Check all your hoses, even the metal ones for kinks.

It is a gear driven pump... You can see fluid in the reservoir?
1. Jack up the front of the truck, run the engine and have someone turn the wheel while you look at the knuckles and linkage.
2. Run the truck with the reservoir cap off and see if there is movement of the fluid in the reservoir.
3. You may also pull the low pressure side off and have it aimed at a bucket, then have someone crank the engine and see if fluid comes out.
You may have stripped the gear, the key or just kinked a hose. Check all your hoses, even the metal ones for kinks.
Jacked the car up and the wheels turned fine and nothing out of place... removed the cap and the fluid stayed at the same level zero movement... which one is the low pressure hose?

That's right, you have a remote reservoir... It's the one that connects to the highest part of the reservoir so it fills it back up. If it is not flowing in, and all other things are good then your pump likely failed.
Just to be belt and suspenders sure, check that you didn't dent the cooler or break it off. If you have one it should be in front of the radiator, trace the lines from the PS pump.One line goes from the pump to the cooler and the other goes to the reservoir. They are both low pressure, so you could take the hose off there as well, to check for an obstruction in your lines

Is the 91 HZJ80 a gear driven or belt driven PS pump?

Is the 91 HZJ80 a gear driven or belt driven PS pump?
Should be gear driven.

That's right, you have a remote reservoir... It's the one that connects to the highest part of the reservoir so it fills it back up. If it is not flowing in, and all other things are good then your pump likely failed.
Just to be belt and suspenders sure, check that you didn't dent the cooler or break it off. If you have one it should be in front of the radiator, trace the lines from the PS pump.One line goes from the pump to the cooler and the other goes to the reservoir. They are both low pressure, so you could take the hose off there as well, to check for an obstruction in your lines
No cooler.... I'll just carefully drive it home then test if fluid is flowing through the pipes. I have a strong feeling that the pump is gone but want to make sure before I start spending a heap of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom