What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My new 88 had a hesitation and a 71 egr code so I desmogged it today. She runs like a champ now! Also adjusted the transmission kick down cable and last week changed every fluid in it. Still have to pull the smog pump, have the belt to do it but ran out of time.
20190928_133908.jpg
20190928_133934.jpg

What years 4Runners work for this upgrade?
Look here:

Look here:

Awesome...thanks! Looks like I’ll be taking my first trip to the local “pick-n-pull”. Says they have a few 4Runners on site.

Nothing huge, but I replaced the lifters on my rear glass. Got tired of cracking my skull when I forgot it slowly lowered behind me.

Actually found replacements on carparts.com ...on sale for $9.99ea. BTW...they also had aftermarket FJ60 grilles for about $48...last week they did anyway. No clue about the quality, but a low cost option that’s out there.

Indeed it is, and the transfer case also has 4:1 gears. :)
That's just not fair! haha. Post up how it drives. Did you get that from Georg at Valley Hybrids?I will be eagerly awaiting feed back. :cheers:

On my way out yesterday I ran into another 60 on the dirt road coming from my parents house. We stopped and said hello. They asked if I was on Mud and when I said yes they said are you Seth? 😂. Sean or Shawn and his wife from Maine were over for the Vermont overland weekend which is about 2 miles down the road from my parents.

Then later I went and looked at a 60 parts rig that had a claimed 5 speed but turned out to be a 4. Bought the factory tool kit off the guy so now mine is complete in that respect.

Did you get rid of the GF?;) That's a lot of nickel and dimes you saved for that set up, just kidding about the GF.:cool:
Indeed it is, and the transfer case also has 4:1 gears. :)

I put in a solid effort to remove the C channels. Didn't get a single rivet out. Gawd that's an awful job but I guess it's a right of passage to 60 ownership. I'm following this thread and I got an air chisel which helped. It was pretty funny to see the pile of rust that rained down everywhere and on me when the vibrations started from that thing. I drilled holes through a couple on the body mount and ground flush. Ungkay... now what? A hole through a bigger circle but it's still stuck on there.

20190928_180930_tn.jpg

20190928_174711_tn.jpg

I broke the exhaust hanger bolts so I threw that into electrolysis to clean it up and maybe loosen the bolts. I got one out with channel locks. Which reminds me, it's still going so I'll now have to get out of bed.

20190929_114542_tn.jpg

Completed scraping out the roof gutters. They were starting to fall apart with some rust coming through. Luckily no rot.

20190922_110425_tn.jpg

Some cracking:
20190922_110819_tn.jpg

To be continued...

I put in a solid effort to remove the C channels. Didn't get a single rivet out. Gawd that's an awful job but I guess it's a right of passage to 60 ownership.

That steel is tough man. I destroyed like 4 drill bits trying to cut a single hole for a receiver hitch I installed. Hope I never have to replace the C-channels on mine. Stuff sucks but a testament to how well they made these trucks. Glad its there.

Continued...

20190922_120237_tn.jpg

Nice and clean:
20190929_104220_tn.jpg

I then washed with methanol and dried out then painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator which I really like. I globbed it in thick so it seeped into the pinch weld. It seems to get the best results in tests. POR15 seems to be the worst. It is mechanical adhesion whereas Rust Encapsulator is a a rust converter. I recently sold my unused can of POR15 for $50 and then bought a battery charger for $50 to run the electrolysis bath. A pretty good swap I think.

The other day I tried polishing the taillights with Turtle Wax polish which works well. The light is right at the edge of the area I polished, to the lower right is polished and to the upper left is original. This was after a couple minutes of rubbing with a microfiber towel.

20190920_202855_tn.jpg

Today I unloaded the 80 axle from the 4runner. Only 339 lb. Actually I removed the suspension arms first so only 300 lb. Then drained the oil out which was in good shape with minor metal dust stuck to the plug.
20190929_133755_tn.jpg

That steel is tough man. I destroyed like 4 drill bits trying to cut a single hole for a receiver hitch I installed. Hope I never have to replace the C-channels on mine. Stuff sucks but a testament to how well they made these trucks. Glad its there.
Yeah luckily this seems to be the worst area of rust on the truck so once these are done I'll be over the peak.

Washed it and got it tidied up. Nice and clean. Took it to a local car show:

View attachment 2093872

There was some mix up with my entry and the location so got there late and got a crappy spot. But was the only 60 series there. Found a cool little 70's Corolla so moved it next to it.

View attachment 2093878

View attachment 2093874

More of a muscle car crowd as these things tend to go. I did not know what to expect but was a good time kill for a Texas Saturday morning. Saw a few K5 blazers there but mostly just typical hot rod muscle car fodder. I think folks appreciated seeing something different in my 60 series so glad I went.

View attachment 2093898
I think that we get so used to our 60 Series Cruisers that we forget how rare and different they really are! Way to be representin'!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom