LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My factory touch screen just cracked in my 2006, so I am considering this big screen alternative to the $300 repair to my factory antiquated system.

My main questions:

1. has anyone gotten this to work with the factory reverse camera?

2. Is it mostly plug and play?

3. does this integrate well with the hands-free cell phone use?

4. anybody ran one of these long enough to see if they fail or are very reliable? The factory setup is old and simple, but it did work well for 220,000 miles without issue until the screen cracked from temp swings one day.
1. I went with an aftermarket camera and recommend the same.

2. Mostly, yes. You'll need to transfer over the HVAC control box from the factory radio and a few clip-in pieces like vents & switches.

3. You'll sync your phone to it just like you do with any other bluetooth source and can use it for phone calls and music streaming.

4. I've had mine installed for a month and have spent about 15 hours behind the wheel with it with no problems to speak of, but YMMV. These are generic products that probably don't have a lot of quality control going on in the manufacturing process. I've had to return one unit because the amp was defective, but the replacement has worked great.

Thanks so much to both of you for the quick feedback and answers....

I drive a lot for work with my 100 series, so I would want something reliable.

Also, on the camera that you installed for the rear/backup, did that require running new wires all the way up to the back of the unit, or did you tie into the factory reverse camera wire harness and just use the same plug that was behind the original head unit to plug into the Zhifang?

It doesn't look like it will work with the factory 6 disc changer system, is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks so much to both of you for the quick feedback and answers....

I drive a lot for work with my 100 series, so I would want something reliable.

Also, on the camera that you installed for the rear/backup, did that require running new wires all the way up to the back of the unit, or did you tie into the factory reverse camera wire harness and just use the same plug that was behind the original head unit to plug into the Zhifang?
I don't want to imply that they're unreliable -- I had a similar unit from Seicane in my Wrangler JKU for two years and it never gave me a minute of trouble. I don't expect that this new one will, either. I'll do what I can to keep from exposing it to too many temperature extremes, because I suspect that's the one area where it'll be most susceptible.

To install a new camera, you will need to run new wires from the tailgate up to the front of the vehicle...there's no way around it. It's a little annoying, but not particularly difficult. You can also get it installed at most car stereo shops for a couple hours' labor. The camera itself should cost no more than $40-50 on Amazon.

It doesn't look like it will work with the factory 6 disc changer system, is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. There's a panel in the settings that looks like it would control the 6-disc (I think the label says "Dish Dish" or something similar), but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Anyone installed a new backup camera yet and ran the new rca and power cables? Running into issues with routing the cable through the upper tailgate. Thinking of installing in the lower tailgate as cable routes work a little easier back into the cab.

I tested out the power cables signals with a few different cameras to the new radios I’m looking for the optimum route for the new wiring.

Also thinking about getting a swing out tire carrier and I’m not sure if I should just wait until I get that done before mounting the camera. Suggestions?

Anyone installed a new backup camera yet and ran the new rca and power cables? Running into issues with routing the cable through the upper tailgate. Thinking of installing in the lower tailgate as cable routes work a little easier back into the cab.

I tested out the power cables signals with a few different cameras to the new radios I’m looking for the optimum route for the new wiring.

Also thinking about getting a swing out tire carrier and I’m not sure if I should just wait until I get that done before mounting the camera. Suggestions?
I bought a license plate mounted cam and ran the wires through the lower tailgate. The included wires weren't long enough for the upper and i didn't have a way to mount the camera up there.

Has anyone seen this? It looks like there’s a newer version with Android 9.0. I’m an Apple user so I don’t know how this would compare to 8.1.
Online Shop Tesla style Android 9.0 PX6 4GB RAM Car GPS Navigation For Lexus LX470/LX-470 2002-2007 head unit multimedia radio tape recorder | Aliexpress Mobile
I think the most important thing is having the PX6 cpu and 4GB of RAM. These radios are so heavily modified that the version of Android isn't too important, but having at least 8.1 should be fine to meet some app requirements.

So sad that my 2002 NAV is too old for this upgrade. This would be perfect.

What year is your truck?
Which model radio?
The px6. 2004 lx470.

Also the 'dual' button doesn't seem to work and I only have single zone climate control

0cFWyD9.jpg

It looks alright but the side vents fit poorly, don't really snap into place. The steering wheel controls and the dual zone climate control both aren't working.

Startup time sucks too.

Overall, a bit underwhelmed here.

The px6. 2004 lx470.

Also the 'dual' button doesn't seem to work and I only have single zone climate control
I realized the other day that my Dual button doesn't seem to work, either ('06 LX).

I hadn't noticed before now because I always leave the zones synced, but that's worth pointing out for others considering this unit who may want to use that function. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed in the settings, because I'm not holding my breath for any software updates from the manufacturer.

Can someone else with the PX6 unit chime in on whether or not your dual zone HVAC function is working?

I realized the other day that my Dual button doesn't seem to work, either ('06 LX).

I hadn't noticed before now because I always leave the zones synced, but that's worth pointing out for others considering this unit who may want to use that function. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed in the settings, because I'm not holding my breath for any software updates from the manufacturer.

Can someone else with the PX6 unit chime in on whether or not your dual zone HVAC function is working?
Do your steering wheel controls work?

Also the screen is pretty soft. It's gonna get wrecked after a few actual wheeling runs. Wonder if I should put a tempered glass protector on it or something

But does it have night vision???

After all of the documented experiences of this dash unit it seems like the general consensus it’s rather disappointing. Besides the ability to have apps and a large screen with integrated climate controls, it seems like this is years behind in terms of specs and system performance. A couple years ago I was a big fan of a YouTube channel called Sound Man Car Audio. He retrofitted the latest iPads into just about any vehicle his customers brought him. From a pristine air-cooled 911 to a brand new Ford Raptor, he and his team made it happen and they documented every step in their videos. He has a website also called Sound Man Car Audio. Really interesting stuff and IMHO that would be the only way to go in terms of touch screen in-dash tablets - lightning fast, 4G hotspot capabilities, the ability to download any app from the App Store, and most importantly not Android OS.

But does it have night vision???

After all of the documented experiences of this dash unit it seems like the general consensus it’s rather disappointing. Besides the ability to have apps and a large screen with integrated climate controls, it seems like this is years behind in terms of specs and system performance. A couple years ago I was a big fan of a YouTube channel called Sound Man Car Audio. He retrofitted the latest iPads into just about any vehicle his customers brought him. From a pristine air-cooled 911 to a brand new Ford Raptor, he and his team made it happen and they documented every step in their videos. He has a website also called Sound Man Car Audio. Really interesting stuff and IMHO that would be the only way to go in terms of touch screen in-dash tablets - lightning fast, 4G hotspot capabilities, the ability to download any app from the App Store, and most importantly not Android OS.
You're not helping

Tesla units in Tesla vehicles are one of the weakest spots in Teslas -- decent design ideas, but even they cheapened out on execution side. So, these chicom trinkets could be yet another set of time bombs. We should be very grateful to the OP and other pioneers risking their money and time and, most importantly, reporting back as the things stand in reality.. Thank you, folks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom