2nd Gen 4runner diff lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, i just recently picked up a 93' 4runner and it is built up with the exeption of diff lockers and body armor. and it has proven hard to find any information on 2nd gen 4runners let alone about the diff lockers. i was wondering what any of you guys had done in regards to diff lockers. or some brands that you would recomend, or maybe a ballpark price range for front and rear selectable lockers. thanks!
IMG_20190920_080201001.jpg
IMG_20190920_080145576.jpg

IMG_20190920_080201001.jpg

IMG_20190920_080145576.jpg

No 2nd gen Toyota pickup/4Runner ever came with a factory locker AFAIK. I think the first ones came out around 96 on the limited model 4Runners and some Tacomas.

You can fit an e-locker that's out of any Toyota with an 8" 3rd member. To make it fit you will have to notch the axle housing and then run the wiring and a switch to engage it. Expect to pay a pretty penny for an e-locker setup and they usually go pretty quick. Your truck has the 7.5" front diff and there are a few lockers online for those, a quick google search will show you some.

Nice 4Runner and welcome to Mud!

No 2nd gen Toyota pickup/4Runner ever came with a factory locker AFAIK. I think the first ones came out around 96 on the limited model 4Runners and some Tacomas.

You can fit an e-locker that's out of any Toyota with an 8" 3rd member. To make it fit you will have to notch the axle housing and then run the wiring and a switch to engage it. Expect to pay a pretty penny for an e-locker setup and they usually go pretty quick. Your truck has the 7.5" front diff and there are a few lockers online for those, a quick google search will show you some.

Nice 4Runner and welcome to Mud!
thanks, and what do you think the labor would be like on that? we are pretty mechanicly inclined but also i feel like it would be hard to find a shop to do it because it sounds like there is some jerry rigging involved

There are a lot of options for lockers at least for the rear axle. I wouldn't waist my time or money putting in a full locker in the front with the ifs setup and weak 7.5 front diff/axle combo, maybe some kind of limited slip. You may also want to consider regearing the diffs unless it's already been done or came with 4.88s originally.
I know you could sell your brush gaurd to this guy Brush guard

There are a lot of options for lockers at least for the rear axle. I wouldn't waist my time or money putting in a full locker in the front with the ifs setup and weak 7.5 front diff/axle combo, maybe some kind of limited slip. You may also want to consider regearing the diffs unless it's already been done or came with 4.88s originally.

I would be interested in the brush guard, if You are planning on selling? Send me a PM with a price, and if are are willing to ship? Thank you.

Do 2nd gen brush guards fit 1st gen trucks? I can't imagine they do given the difference in bumper sizes but has anyone tried?

I live in Vancouver, and the shop i frequent recommended either Detroit lockers (1500 CAD including install) or ARB air lockers (3000 CAD including install). I know almost nothing about lockers, so all of this is coming from the owner of the shop. The information he gave me was regarding a 2nd Gen 4r for an Overlanding build.

ARB lockers are easier on your tires than the Detroit Lockers. However, he put detroits on most of his rigs. The last rig he installed ARB lockers on had tires worth 800 a pop, so in a case like that having the ARB lockers was definitely necessary. Having a compressor onboard is also a plus.

Regarding front lockers. If you are getting a cheaper set of lockers for the rear and are looking for fronts as well, do NOT get fronts, just spend the money and upgrade the rear as it will make more of a difference.

Hope i contributed to whatever information you are looking for.

Care to post which shop you are talking about? There are a few Toyota specialty shops around the LML (I’m in Whiterock), but I’ve only dealt with one, and frankly won’t deal with them again. They probably would prefer to sell you a brand new locker, or are “above” installing a used factory e-locker, but I agree the factory units are a great way to go. You can buy a complete 3rd member and just install that yourself as there is no gear set up that way. Presuming the used 3rd you find is in good shape, it’s as simple an install as you can get. A lot of them have 4.56 or 4.88 gears too, so that’s a bonus. Remember to get the matching 3rd for the front too when you are sourcing your rear. Guys sell the locked 3rds pretty cheap sometimes, but you need to move pretty fast when they come up.

I live in Vancouver, and the shop i frequent recommended either Detroit lockers (1500 CAD including install) or ARB air lockers (3000 CAD including install). I know almost nothing about lockers, so all of this is coming from the owner of the shop. The information he gave me was regarding a 2nd Gen 4r for an Overlanding build.

I would never, ever, put a Detroit in an overlanding rig. ARB is the only way I would go.

I would never, ever, put a Detroit in an overlanding rig. ARB is the only way I would go.
What? Really? Baaaaa
I LOVE my rear Detroits! Its an idiot proof traction solution- they engage automatically so no fumbling for switches and forgetting they're on or off. Yes, they can occasionally pop and bang when they unload but that's a low price for how well they perform.
They're really no problem on the road, snow is the only time they can get a little spooky but if I keep outta the throttle no worries.
Front, yes OK detroits can be a chore but manageable in a 4cyl if you pay attention.
ARB the only way? My elocker begs to differ... I think I have 80,000 issue-free miles on that set up, and it'll go in the front when that rig gets SAS. Ive never seen stock 4.56/4.88 elockers though

ARB the only way? My elocker begs to differ...
[sigh] Grant do we need to put gloves on? :cool:

I agree with the e-locker. I didn't mention it since the it wasn't suggested. I still think a Detroit in a overland rig is a bad idea. I think the flexibility of a selectable locker, air or e, is preferred. For the front, I like the Truetrac in my 4Runner.

I never could get my trutrac to react properly at low speed. Maybe I had a dud.
I understand select ability but having had both I just dig not having to think about it. There are way more times that Detroit auto engaging saved me than it got me in trouble. And I think people are too scared of the Detroit...you should drive my 4Runner one of these trips and see if it’s really that bad

I never could get my trutrac to react properly at low speed. Maybe I had a dud.
I understand select ability but having had both I just dig not having to think about it. There are way more times that Detroit auto engaging saved me than it got me in trouble. And I think people are too scared of the Detroit...you should drive my 4Runner one of these trips and see if it’s really that bad
I think part of my bias is the lunchbox in the back of my FJ40. I hate it, but it's also not a Detroit.

Absolute night and day difference between a Lockrite and a Detroit... again, having had both. The 94 had a Spartan that was very irritating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom