4.30 or 4.88 re-gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SQRRRL

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m thinking of doing a re-gear of my 2013 LC.
I wanted to see if anyone lives in S. Cal that has done a re-gear that I could take their rig for a spin.
Running 285/70/17 AT Tires. Light build , sliders aux fuel tank12.5
I’m in OC .

Thanks!

Last edited:
gearing is all about tire size. I just bought some 4.30's for my 2013. I plan to run a 33-34" tire. I personally would not run a 4.88 without a min. 35"-37" tire...

You're welcome to take mine for a spin. But I live In Seattle. I did 4.88. It was awesome with 275/65 r18 (32") and it's awesome with 275/80r18 (35"). I have mild mods but do expect to put on some weight soon when sliders and benc's front are available. I also was concerned with aero due to the front.

It is not 'too much' even on mild upsize tires. The rpms are still low, and the torque immense.

You're welcome to take mine for a spin. But I live In Seattle. I did 4.88. It was awesome with 275/65 r18 (32") and it's awesome with 275/80r18 (35"). I have mild mods but do expect to put on some weight soon when sliders and benc's front are available. I also was concerned with aero due to the front.

It is not 'too much' even on mild upsize tires. The rpms are still low, and the torque immense.
I am going to regear and am also on the fence. I’m interpreting what your saying as even if I ‘stop the mods’ at 33” or 34” tires 4.88s is the way to go. Truthfully I love my LX but the constant shifting is annoying as F. I mostly drive in S5 due to the lack of low rpm torque and am still not 100% satisfied. If it was giving me 21mpg I’d give it pass but it isn’t as all of you know...

1) Do you recall an approximate 60 or 70 mph rpm with 4.88s & 32s?
2) How does Toyota manage the speedo? Is it off of wheel speed or driveshaft?
Thanks.

With 4.30 gears and 35s the speedo/odo is 5% off.

Speedometer is an average calculation from the ABS sensors on the four hubs. Differential gear ratio changes don’t play any part of altering the speedometers reading. Only putting a bigger tire on the truck changes speedometer readings.

in my opinion, I think 4.88s are perfect for a 33” tire on a built truck (2008-2015). Right now, driving around the blue ridge, I sometimes wish I had 5.29s.

This is kinda and age old question that circles in all vehicle forums. The general rule is if you are between rations, go with the lower one (number if ally high ratio).

There will be zero detectable mpg difference. As the engine gets old, you’ll have more available power. And for anyone that does regear, they probably are someone which will eventually have a lift and weight to Carrey around also. So 4.30s only compensate for the larger tire, 4.88s compensate for aftermarket accessories, plus the extra weight of those larger, non street tires.

Speedometer is an average calculation from the ABS sensors on the four hubs. Differential gear ratio changes don’t play any part of altering the speedometers reading. Only putting a bigger tire on the truck changes speedometer readings.

in my opinion, I think 4.88s are perfect for a 33” tire on a built truck (2008-2015). Right now, driving around the blue ridge, I sometimes wish I had 5.29s.

This is kinda and age old question that circles in all vehicle forums. The general rule is if you are between rations, go with the lower one (number if ally high ratio).

There will be zero detectable mpg difference. As the engine gets old, you’ll have more available power. And for anyone that does regear, they probably are someone which will eventually have a lift and weight to Carrey around also. So 4.30s only compensate for the larger tire, 4.88s compensate for aftermarket accessories, plus the extra weight of those larger, non street tires.
1st, awesome signature line. 2nd, thank you. That’s exactly the type of info/feedback/opinion I was looking for. I don’t want to do something that’ll ruin interstate driving in the high 70mph/low 80mph range but I need my LX to feel a little more spirited and less ‘shifty’. 4.88s are in my future.

gearing is all about tire size. I just bought some 4.30's for my 2013. I plan to run a 33-34" tire. I personally would not run a 4.88 without a min. 35"-37" tire...
1st, awesome signature line. 2nd, thank you. That’s exactly the type of info/feedback/opinion I was looking for. I don’t want to do something that’ll ruin interstate driving in the high 70mph/low 80mph range but I need my LX to feel a little more spirited and less ‘shifty’. 4.88s are in my future.
I just spoke with Keith owner of Dirty Deeds Industries in San Diego County. He’s all

Dirty Deeds Industries is a Shop is S.Cal.
The owner Keith states a loss of 40hp when going from stock to 33 on a Tundra. Just another reason to go 4.88. This was done on a dyno.

Last edited:
I am going to regear and am also on the fence. I’m interpreting what your saying as even if I ‘stop the mods’ at 33” or 34” tires 4.88s is the way to go. Truthfully I love my LX but the constant shifting is annoying as F. I mostly drive in S5 due to the lack of low rpm torque and am still not 100% satisfied. If it was giving me 21mpg I’d give it pass but it isn’t as all of you know...

Thanks.
2000 rpm at 65mph on 275/65r18.
My current tires are book size 35.25 diameter and my speedometer is 10% slow
So to drive 65 my mph reads 59. All odometer readings also sandbagged by 10% 😁

Since I started driving with ect power on full time, driving has been much more enjoyable. Nowhere near what a re-gear would do obviously, but for anyone who reads this thread that is unhappy but not considering a re-gear, I suggest trying it. And no I haven't tracked mpg decrease because I don't care.

Since I started driving with ect power on full time, driving has been much more enjoyable. Nowhere near what a re-gear would do obviously, but for anyone who reads this thread that is unhappy but not considering a re-gear, I suggest trying it. And no I haven't tracked mpg decrease because I don't care.
Driving with and off road trailer and a family of 6 + dog the ECT is not enough in the Sierra Nevada. I need to regear if I want to get some power back. Guess no one lives near me. No worries I have found many resources .

Last edited:
Driving with and off road trailer and a family of 6 + dog the ECT is not enough in the Sierra Nevada. I need to regear if I want to get some power back. Guess no one lives near me. No worries I have found many resources .
That’s quite a compliment of precious cargo and trailer full of goodies to keep the cargo happy. Add some tires a bit of altitude and I fully understand why you need a little more.

Plz post about your progress. I am very busy now but would love to have mine done by January. If you get there first and sing th3 praises of 4.88s it’ll help keep me properly motivated.👍

Driving with and off road trailer and a family of 6 + dog the ECT is not enough in the Sierra Nevada.

Wasn't really directed at you since you clearly were regearing, more for anyone in the future who searches threads like I do and this might be enough without the cost of regearing.

That’s quite a compliment of precious cargo and trailer full of goodies to keep the cargo happy. Add some tires a bit of altitude and I fully understand why you need a little more.

Plz post about your progress. I am very busy now but would love to have mine done by January. If you get there first and sing th3 praises of 4.88s it’ll help keep me properly motivated.👍
Copy that. Life keeps getting in the way of this mod. Hope this fall and for sure by spring when I bust the trailer out again.

I split time up in the Sierra's and will have a 4.3 geared truck in the next few weeks (waiting for a few details to be wrapped up and get it shipped to me). You anywhere near North Lake Tahoe? Let me know and you're welcome to come check it out. FYI - I'll be running 305/65-18's (approx 34" as measured on the BFGs)

I split time up in the Sierra's and will have a 4.3 geared truck in the next few weeks (waiting for a few details to be wrapped up and get it shipped to me). You anywhere near North Lake Tahoe? Let me know and you're welcome to come check it out. FYI - I'll be running 305/65-18's (approx 34" as measured on the BFGs)
I hit the East side of the Sierra but no farther than Bridgeport. But I could always make a day road trip when I’m in Mammoth.Is your build heavy ?
What made you go 4.3?

Thanks brah!

I hit the East side of the Sierra but no farther than Bridgeport. But I could always make a day road trip when I’m in Mammoth.Is your build heavy ?
What made you go 4.3?

Thanks brah!

The combination of the 305's, and semi-heavy build (ARB front bumper, winch, roof rack, sliders, skids, 12.5g LRA, and planning for a dual swing rear)....plus I spend at least half my time in Tahoe. Driving up there with 250lbs of dog in the back (Newfie and a BIG Golden) and my experience leaving my old 2017 4Runner stock with a similar build was enough to regear the 200 from day 1. I'm hoping the 4.3's are enough - made the decision based on erroneous tranny gear ratios provided by the shop I'm working with...can't wait to get the truck so I can finish "dialing it in."

The combination of the 305's, and semi-heavy build (ARB front bumper, winch, roof rack, sliders, skids, 12.5g LRA, and planning for a dual swing rear)....plus I spend at least half my time in Tahoe. Driving up there with 250lbs of dog in the back (Newfie and a BIG Golden) and my experience leaving my old 2017 4Runner stock with a similar build was enough to regear the 200 from day 1. I'm hoping the 4.3's are enough - made the decision based on erroneous tranny gear ratios provided by the shop I'm working with...can't wait to get the truck so I can finish "dialing it in."
Nice, please keep us in the loop.
SNOW is on the way....!

Snowed 2 weeks ago up on Rose - earliest 1st snow in 5+ yrs. Also snowed this past Monday night/Tuesday up on Rose - a nice dusting above 8k. Never know how the season will shape up, but its a nice start!

Thanks.
70 mph 285/65/18 RPM 1600 + with 3.90 gears

can someone give us a 70-75 RPM with 4.88?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom