Builds 1964 FJ40 Diesel build, 5 speed, vw TDI, 35's....Lets not call it a restoration. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
Let's NOT call this a restoration, so restoration guys beware.

I've been an in the closet Landcruiser guy for many years. This truck represents my third and maybe last build and I figured I would just do what I wanted instead of following some prescribed ideal. I built a rock crawler, did a frame off restoration and now? Well, this one was in need of everything so I thought I would just do what I could to bring it back to life. Being a Master diesel tech, my first thought it always diesel. As a matter of fact I don't own a gas burner. Everything here is diesel so the cruiser gets what I know. I have been a long time fan of the VW 1.9 TD for a good many reasons. Built a few of them and this one is no different. I purchased the FJ40 a little while back wasting away in a field. It's rusty but not terrible. I drug it home and began contemplating something fun to play with. Located the 1996 VW passat locally and was able to make a good trade for it. The W56 Toyota 5 speed I sourced from a friends shop. We're going to say it was acquired with a 5 finger discount as he didn't need it so I loaded it up and brought it home. The big boggers? Well, they too were sourced locally and it was a deal I couldn't pass up although I am not sure I will keep them on the truck. So in the short run here's the plan:

Strip the hard top off and sell it. Fenders, f145, 3 speed and transfer case are also going away. I have no use for them. Clean everything up and cut the rust out, see what we have left to work with. Get the drivetrain in it, get it running again and just go have some fun in the mountains. As winter approaches here in Montana, I'll be spending it fabricating a LOT of parts for this truck here. It's just what I do.

20190919_121725.jpg

20190919_121737.jpg

20190919_121749.jpg

20190919_121813.jpg

20190919_121826.jpg

Few more pictures of where we are starting here.

20190913_095906.jpg

20190913_095915.jpg

20190913_095926.jpg

20190919_121916.jpg

On the search for rust. Got all of the inside cleaned up and vacuumed out. Not as bad as I thought, floors and rear deck look pretty good. That drop down tail gate it worth half of what I paid for the truck!

20190919_142355.jpg

20190919_142412.jpg

Got the front end pulled off. I would say the springs are a little shot. There's only about an inch of space before the axle hits the bumpstop. I guess I can add that to the list. Should have the engine most of the way out today. Already started spraying bolts and loosening things up. I'll get everything undone and pull the engine/trans/transfer case out in one shot with the help of my trusty front end loader. Also known as the rolling engine puller.

20190919_160254.jpg

20190919_160306.jpg

I am debating the issue of axles. I want this to be a lightweight rig. Dropping the f engine and big 3 speed for the all aluminum 5 speed W56. The 1.9 VW is "almost" light enough that a good sized man could lift it out. Two people absolutely can lift one out. we've done that. So in axle selection I want enough strength without going to 1 tons as I don't think they are needed. I'm really thinking a set of Toyota truck axles might get the nod here. Lightweight, disc brakes, good gearing? What's not to like? I think I would need to put too much into the LC axles to get what I want.

What would you have to put into the LC axles that the truck axeles have already?
Mainly disc brakes and gearing. Also I would have a centered rear axle.

Need to unbolt the driveshafts, drop the belly pan and it's ready to come out. Surprisingly painless process actually. I thought I would fight the bolts more but not really. Everything came right out! Out with the old and in with the new!

20190919_175111.jpg

20190919_175118.jpg

Sounds like a good set up, you can’t go wrong with an FJ40, diesel and a five speed. If you go with the Toyota truck axles, you will need to outboard the springs or do some fabricating on the passenger side front

Sounds like a good set up, you can’t go wrong with an FJ40, diesel and a five speed. If you go with the Toyota truck axles, you will need to outboard the springs or do some fabricating on the passenger side front

Yeah, I'm still kicking around the idea. If I could find a good deal on some disc brackets for the front I would likely keep the LC axles. I also have a few concerns about the offset rear with the centered transfer case.

Of all the steel fabrication tools I have, the one thing I don't is a tubing bender. Why I have not bought one I have no idea.... I work with steel every day for god sakes.

Front mini truck solid axles can be hard to come by. Rears are easy. My first 40 had a mini rear, 40 disk front. Looking forward to this build. You can get disk parts from fj60s to convert your axle.

True, I'm mulling it all over now.

Of all the steel fabrication tools I have, the one thing I don't is a tubing bender. Why I have not bought one I have no idea.... I work with steel every day for god sakes.

Sounds like you found a reason to buy one.

Sounds like you found a reason to buy one.

OR....if I just knew someone who owned a good one already. It's the old saying about a boat. Better to have a friend with a boat than a boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom