More PFFT PFFT PFFT - the sub this time. Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
Lots of posts on this, I know. But, I didn't see anything for this stereo in the past couple years. (oh sure, I could've looked harder)

I had a guy refoam the front door speakers last year - they sound great. Is that the best option for the sub? I'm not looking to rattle the license plate, so this is one area where "failure = opportunity to upgrade" isn't as attractive.

Is there a reasonably priced drop-in sub... that works with the 2 ohm system? Or, stick with refoam?

Thanks!

Lots of posts on this, I know. But, I didn't see anything for this stereo in the past couple years. (oh sure, I could've looked harder)

I had a guy refoam the front door speakers last year - they sound great. Is that the best option for the sub? I'm not looking to rattle the license plate, so this is one area where "failure = opportunity to upgrade" isn't as attractive.

Is there a reasonably priced drop-in sub... that works with the 2 ohm system? Or, stick with refoam?

Thanks!

Not sure on the direct sub replacement, as I went with an aftermarket box, but I am curious why you went with refoaming the front door speakers? Why didn't you just replace with a much better set of aftermarket speakers/tweeters?

Not sure on the direct sub replacement, as I went with an aftermarket box, but I am curious why you went with refoaming the front door speakers? Why didn't you just replace with a much better set of aftermarket speakers/tweeters?

The 100 has a 2 ohm system. The vast majority of aftermarket stuff is 4 ohm (and 8?). The research went in circles - decent speakers were the wrong ohm... some guys said it was fine... some said it wasn't... some said to refoam... I threw in the towel and had a guy refoam them.

If finding a sub that works with the O.E. system and fits is the same... it'll be another refoam

I dropped in a 2ohm Kicker sub. Its "ok". They're about $80. No major mods needed, just some trimming of the speaker grill to allow it to sit flush.

Get the kicker

I had a guy refoam the front door speakers last year - they sound great.

Thanks!

How did you determine that refoaming would fix the issue. My front DS sounds bad and probably will have a guy refoam too.

I have an 06 too. Overall, I imagine the speakers have broken down over 14+ years and refoaming would refreshing the sound system.

I too also got confused with the inconsistent reviews for the 2 ohm system and incompatiblity issues. Hopefully refoaming will be a good solution for me.

My speakers farted when at normal volume when a bass tone happened. If they make sound at low volume and fart at higher volumes it might be safe to assume a refoam will fix it. To fix it farting, you can lower the bass to the max negative value or unplug it.

How did you determine that refoaming would fix the issue. My front DS sounds bad and probably will have a guy refoam too.

I have an 06 too. Overall, I imagine the speakers have broken down over 14+ years and refoaming would refreshing the sound system.

I too also got confused with the inconsistent reviews for the 2 ohm system and incompatiblity issues. Hopefully refoaming will be a good solution for me.
The general confusion on this topic is widely caused bygeneral lack of understanding of ohms impedance, and people recommended what they did and validating it to be better based on their satisfaction

If your going to pay someone to do a refoam you’re likely going to pay more than just getting new drivers.

Also anyone that thinks those factory speakers lc or lx are made specifically for that factory amp is mistaken. Eq and crossover is determined at the amp and a good speaker is designed to perform within its designated frequencies. If you’re keeping factory amp match factory speaker impedance

And ^that^ reminds me of why I just had my O.E. speakers reformed.

Short of getting a full-on less in amps, ohms, impedance, speaker frequency... taking the information in a post like that and then shopping for speakers that...
- Fit
- Are as good or better than O.E.
- Match the impedance
- Cost less than or the same as refoaming
... led me nowhere.

Without your level of knowledge, I would've had to just keep posting links to speakers... "Will this one work?" "Never heard of this brand - is it as good as factory?" "How 'bout this one?"

Admittedly, I was hoping for: "Land Cruisers are my second hobby. Stereos stuff is my first. When my factor subwoofer blew, I swapped in a _____ and it was a direct fit" You know, like we get with all the other mods to these trucks ;)

I'm going to order that Kicker that @abuck99 linked. Thanks Andrew!
And Thanks @Pucker5 for the info/confirmation on the Kicker

Last edited:

Seriously, I get that you know stereo stuff... but I don't. Taking the information in a post like that and then shopping for speakers that...
- Fit
- Match the impedance
... led nowhere.

Without your level of knowledge, I would've had to just keep posting links to speakers... "Will this one work?" "Never heard of this brand - is it as good as factory?" "How 'bout this one?"

Admittedly, I was hoping for: "Land Cruisers are my second hobby. Stereos stuff is my first. When my factor subwoofer blew, I swapped in a _____ and it was a direct fit" You know, like we get with all the other mods to these trucks ;)

I totally understand you wanted the direct answer but what if the first responder’s answer wasn’t good. I promise I know jack $hit about car audio on the whole but as i dug into it on diy basis (the basic premise of this forum for all thing cruiser) one of the first thing I learned specific to subject is match speaker impedance/wiring config to amp or you risk damaging the equipment. Why would it be any different on factory stuff?

And my point was that a kit is going to cost you x dollars plus y dollars for someone else to do it. So for the price of the kit perhaps try doing it yourself. I’m sure the company that sells the kits has a YouTube instructional

Typically I feel there’s better forum value in someone giving you a response and then a why. Aight back into my hole.

Factory subwoofers in these rigs are miserable. Just unplug it. I promise you won’t even notice the difference.

If you are an audiophile, you’ll hate the way the factory 8” subwoofer sounds anyways. It’s not worth the trouble. Unplug it and move on.

Factory subwoofers in these rigs are miserable. Just unplug it. I promise you won’t even notice the difference.

If you are an audiophile, you’ll hate the way the factory 8” subwoofer sounds anyways. It’s not worth the trouble. Unplug it and move on.
I dont disagree, even a suitable replacement is just “ok” but better than a clapped out paper speaker.

Short of getting a full-on less in amps, ohms, impedance, speaker frequency... taking the information in a post like that and then shopping for speakers that...
- Fit
- Match the impedance
... led me nowhere.

Dont expect to shake your body panels- it will add some improvement but not earthshattering.

Refoam it. That will take away the bad noises and actually make the whole system sound better. Simply speakers has the kits. Disconnecting works, but about 50% of the time to refoam. Easy DIY. Crutchfield has detailed speaker removal instructions.
Good luck,
Dave

I dont disagree, even a suitable replacement is just “ok” but better than a clapped out paper speaker.

Dont expect to shake your body panels- it will add some improvement but not earthshattering.

Yeah, but an un plugged clapped out paper speaker is about as good as the plugged in paper speaker :)

I'd rather use the space for some electrical goodies like the folks do in the 60's and 80's rather than have a speaker in there.

I totally understand you wanted the direct answer but what if the first responder’s answer wasn’t good. I promise I know jack $hit about car audio on the whole but as i dug into it on diy basis (the basic premise of this forum for all thing cruiser) one of the first thing I learned specific to subject is match speaker impedance/wiring config to amp or you risk damaging the equipment. Why would it be any different on factory stuff?

And my point was that a kit is going to cost you x dollars plus y dollars for someone else to do it. So for the price of the kit perhaps try doing it yourself. I’m sure the company that sells the kits has a YouTube instructional

Typically I feel there’s better forum value in someone giving you a response and then a why. Aight back into my hole.
Really didn't mean to sound like a dick. To me, audio stuff is like camera stuff - I hear the words - f-stop, aperture... impedance, ohms... and just glaze over. It's different from other tech stuff - cams, caster, etc. I have a friend who literally just emails me the link to Crutchfield/Amazon for TVs and home sound stuff. I do the same for him with bikes.

The stereo threads tend to get as technical as the rest of the Land Cruiser mods, but it always seems unnecessarily technical. "Unnecessary" 'cause I want a spoon-fed answer ;)

Seriously - thanks for the input... and sorry if my comment(s) came off #*@&ish

Really didn't mean to sound like a dick. To me, audio stuff is like camera stuff - I hear the words - f-stop, aperture... impedance, ohms... and just glaze over. It's different from other tech stuff - cams, caster, etc. I have a friend who literally just emails me the link to Crutchfield/Amazon for TVs and home sound stuff. I do the same for him with bikes.

The stereo threads tend to get as technical as the rest of the Land Cruiser mods, but it always seems unnecessarily technical. "Unnecessary" 'cause I want a spoon-fed answer ;)

Seriously - thanks for the input... and sorry if my comment(s) came off #*@&ish
All good dude!

Well, I finally got around to swapping the sub. Thanks @abuck99 (PMs) for the assist on the wiring. And, as described, the sub sounds okay.

Overall, I’m surprised how much engineering, design and manufacturing/material Toyota dedicated to such a ****y sub, amp and enclosure... it really adds nothing. After getting it all sealed back up, faded the sound back to the middle, moved the bass up to about 70%... yep - it works. That's about all I could say. Sounds about like the factory sub.

So now, I’m considering a full speaker, sub and amp swap. Just gonna get an estimate next week.
7A5A0FFA-63E9-4318-9CBB-34B4BAB0ED94.jpeg
IMG_6445.jpeg

Last edited:

I re-foamed my front speakers and they are back to sounding normal. It takes a little time, but is easy once the speaker frame is cleaned up from the old foam. I don't have the link, but I bought a kit from someone who sells kits specifically for various speakers/vehicles. They are listed by vehicle/manufacturer. Might order foam for your speakers too should they need to be repaired later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom