Charcoal canister rebuild - 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to do this on my GX470. Went out to Reddington Pass for a while today and the gas smell was pretty strong.

@Ken in AZ Def need to have this done on my fzj80. I live at 10500 feet and sometimes when I go to fill up it actually spits gas back at me. Anyway to send you mine and work out cost? Was going to go the ac Delco route then seen this. Lmk

@Ken in AZ Def need to have this done on my fzj80. I live at 10500 feet and sometimes when I go to fill up it actually spits gas back at me. Anyway to send you mine and work out cost? Was going to go the ac Delco route then seen this. Lmk
I have 2 sitting on my work bench I just need the charcoal and a little beer money 👍 you cover the mailing costs.

Pm me your phone number 👍

Fact #1 - Even with a 100% correctly functional factory canister it is not uncommon this time of year (summer) to still notice some gas smell. The factory vents gas fumes through the charcoal and out of the canisters bottom into the air. The demand is such this time even with new charcoal the canister cant keep up.

Fact #2 - You should have zero pressure at the gas cap if your canister is working/modded correctly.

Last edited:
Fact #1 - Even with a 100% correctly functional factory canister it is not uncommon this time of year (summer) to still notice some gas smell. The factory vents gas fumes through the charcoal and out of the canisters bottom into the air. The demand is such this time even with new charcoal the canister cant keep up.

Fact #2 - You should have zero pressure at the gas cap if your canister is working/modded correctly.
What does the “mod” look like? Which valve gets drilled and where? ....this question may answer itself momentarily. I’m pulling mine off today to open it up.

Nevermind. It’s self evident. 1 hour 15 minute job total. That includes some screwing off on a dirtbike project cause I have ADD.

Edit: keep in mind that JB WELD has about a minute of realistic working time when it’s 100F.

Last edited:
@LandCruiserPhil I noticed on another thread, you commented about "Still getting 16.8MPG." Wondering when you rebuilt your canister, if you drilled out the check ball or just made sure it was operational? This looks like a good rainy day garage project and I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of increase in mpg's as a result of the rebuild. Although that isn't my main purpose for rebuilding.

If anyone needs a charcoal canister done I am doing a couple tomorrow morning. All you need to bring is the charcoal and my fee is a six pack of beer. Call me if you want to come over. Starting about 8am. 520-483-8599

Ken

@LandCruiserPhil I noticed on another thread, you commented about "Still getting 16.8MPG." Wondering when you rebuilt your canister, if you drilled out the check ball or just made sure it was operational? This looks like a good rainy day garage project and I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of increase in mpg's as a result of the rebuild. Although that isn't my main purpose for rebuilding.

To be 100% CLEAR the MPG increase from a canister mod is an LCP joke. Do not expect any increase in MPG just a trouble free canister for life.

Yes as the originator, I drilled out the check ball.

Haha, gotcha. Thanks...

To be 100% CLEAR the MPG increase from a canister mod is an LCP joke. Do not expect any increase in MPG just a trouble free canister for life.

Yes as the originator, I drilled out the check ball.

My version is simply smarter, faster, and definitely much better looking! Wait we still talking about the charcoal canisters? LOL

Yes I was going to cut a few open but I have been messing with other stuff on the 80. I have 2 or 3 sitting on my work bench right now. You just need to buy the charcoal the rest is really easy. We could do a few in short order.
Ken, I am a friend of Phil's and need a fully rebuilt canister for an 97. I will pay what you think is fair and mail you mine back to you. If you are interested, please call me 214-673-7960

If anyone needs a charcoal canister done I am doing a couple tomorrow morning. All you need to bring is the charcoal and my fee is a six pack of beer. Call me if you want to come over. Starting about 8am. 520-483-8599

Ken
Where in AZ are you?? Are you still doing them? I am in Phoenix and would do a CASE of beer! :) '97FZJ80 @272k mi and it needs it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom