Imported BJ-42, Worth the price tag???? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everyone,

I wasn’t sure which section to post this in so I went for the one that gave me the warmest feeling, the Diesel section. 🤤

So basically i’m writing this post because I just recently met an individual who’s selling two (2) 1981 & 1982 BJ-42’s imported from Canada back in the 90s. These trucks have been sitting in his garage for about 15 years and neither of them run at the moment. They have the 3B diesel along with the 24V electrical system.🤠

Now, since they dont run I wasnt able to give them a them a test drive so I’m unsure as to what else could be wrong with them, and this is where i’m troubled. I’m planning on doing frame off restos, but the tubs on these things are basically shot. Fenderwells, rear quarters, drivers and passengers floor pans, etc are pretty bad with rust. Frames seem to be ok with typical surface rust, no cracks noticed.

Now for the price. He wants $6500 for the blue one and $7500 for the camo one (would be repainted to original color upon resto). Do these prices seem outrageous, or normal? The BJ-42 is my dream car, and i’m not sure i’d ever have another chance to own one. I would prefer to not get swindled 😝.

This website is selling theirs for $94,500, and they claim that there was only 200 Canadian BJ-42s imported into the US; is that true?

Final question:

Do you think these trucks are worth what the owner is asking given that they will most likely need tubs?

If I bought it and restored it, should I be afraid to drive it on the road because it’s so rare?

Are parts for these trucks readily available?

Were only 200 of these actually imported to the US from Canada?

Thanks everyone for your input!

3555B498-F82B-470B-9F51-F822BC4D93AE.jpeg

0D0D0E01-26F3-4C4D-A6C0-6B2C3FF0D777.jpeg

1CB2EB93-5243-45F5-872C-8AC65B43F98F.jpeg

BAC77D29-F827-412B-85B2-ACAD1A2170ED.jpeg

603BA748-98EE-438E-8BC4-6C635258A6AE.jpeg

Last edited:
For that kind of money I'd expect a running driving vehicle with compression numbers and some kind of maintenance history. The trouble is though these trucks are very rare up here too now in Canada so sellers Jack the price. You can't judge a museum quality restoration against a rusted out non running barn find. Are you looking for a true restoration or just a diesel 40?

I would make a 7* series your dream car. Get one with a nice body and pour some money into keeping it that way. Or even an American 80 series, they will be hard to find some day.

I would not buy that truck but maybe you own a dustless blasting rig or have the money to pay for all the rust removal and repairs.
Did you check bj42’s for sale in MUD classifieds section?
I began by looking for a diesel 40 series and ended by getting a JDM BJ74. Very happy now.

That blue one looks pretty good to me, although i dealt with worse in the past. I would just drive the blue one as is. I bet it will start with very little effort. Also it looks original and not tampered with which is hard to find these days. If it was $6500 cdn i would be tempted.

also, i think the website is wrong, i dont believe that any new BJ42's were imported to the U.S.

There’s been a few really mint condition BJ42s sell here in Aus for less than $20k. You’d end up spending a lot more than that trying to get those back on the road. I know import fees and shipping add up, but still reckon importing one from Aus isn’t a bad option. After all we tend to not have rust issues anywhere near as bad

There’s been a few really mint condition BJ42s sell here in Aus for less than $20k. You’d end up spending a lot more than that trying to get those back on the road. I know import fees and shipping add up, but still reckon importing one from Aus isn’t a bad option. After all we tend to not have rust issues anywhere near as bad

I disagree it will cost more than $20k to get it on the road.
That said, that truck looks like a rusty mess but 40 series are so ridiculously priced right now I can see somebody giving him $6500 for it. I have a friend selling an unmolested gas 40 that was left in a field for several years. It runs but is about the same condition. I told him to ask $5500. I bet he gets it.

Sorry, I didn’t mean $20k to get it on the road, but would cost you $20k to get it to the condition of some of the cruisers being sold for that sort of money...

Are parts for these trucks readily available?

That 1984 you're comparing is a Unicorn - Power Steering, 5 Speed, AC - the whole enchilada. No real correlation between the two you're looking at.

I'm gathering up parts for a frame-off on our '81 - starting with an all original survivor and decent body. For a hobby or a retiree - yes. Otherwise you're better off buying a runner for $35k in good shape. OEM parts are gold, if you can find them. Hence why proper OEM restorations go for so much.

Maybe worth $2500-3500 US ea, up here anyways.

You might not even like driving 90 km/h in a tractor. I love it though - great stress relief if Yoga's not your thing

Last edited:
I don't know if the pictures are from blue or camo, but it all seems ok when welded or cleaned and painted (the typical mud resto is a bit insane to me as it takes years, but the pictures of all the painted parts are worth the time)
Maybe you can baseline it and get it road worthy, then start resto from a driving vehicle.
New brake lines and shocks and stuff will have a fast impact if you want to sell.
Does the owner explain price difference?

This are prices in Europe, I think it is a small gamble if you use the work time as hobby (so unpaid for time) and the parts needed will add up in sale price, if you can get it running without major repair (just base line parts)
A quick search of USA prices should make it possible to decide, I think it is worth it but not if you have to pay for the work hours.

I am thinking about buying this hilux, it also has a picture of chassis rust that needs welding.

Europe sale:

Last edited:
I would make a 7* series your dream car. Get one with a nice body and pour some money into keeping it that way. Or even an American 80 series, they will be hard to find some day.

Hello,

x2.

The blue one looks decent. However, when it comes to rust there is usually a lot more than meets the eye, especially with trucks from Canada. Assuming the frame is better than it looks, floor pans, tub, rear sill quite likely need replacement. Quite possibly, engine and drive train need (a lot of) work as well.

For that money, I would add some more and look for a 70 Series in good shape.

I would also check the classifieds and vendors for options.

Juan

It is a labour (CDN spelling!) of love though!

But it's a big job to restore these and if you're not doing all the work yourself, expect to spend BIG Dollars.

My sig line has the photo history of my '81 restoration. Feel free to ask me any questions. :beer:

For that kind of money I'd expect a running driving vehicle with compression numbers and some kind of maintenance history. The trouble is though these trucks are very rare up here too now in Canada so sellers Jack the price. You can't judge a museum quality restoration against a rusted out non running barn find. Are you looking for a true restoration or just a diesel 40?

Agreed with Gerg ! Find a minti 40 series and then add all the best parts. Windshield wipers above or below ? The stock seats were never comfortable enough for long drives and many upgrade to comfortable powered seats. The 42's were non aspirated so if you find a decent 3b make sure it's an 85. or just put in a 13bt with 5speed trans, These heeps may be alright if you could pick them up for a grand ea. but rebuilding may require 40 hrs a week from what I see AND no idea what the compression is across the board. you may need an engine rebuild ? If you want something with a little work you can do yourself I'd look at a european country and import it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom