Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on this one yet? :)
Sadly no. Just collecting parts. Work is in full swing and I won’t have a moment to get away until August . Should be a nice hot drive though for a 40 with only a bikini top .

Let me know if you need a road trip partner. Depending on timing I could be talked into this 😁

PS - I'm a Washington native and live in Redmond 😊
Cool, I’ll keep ya posted. Apparently I missed you at the cruiser head meeting? Where you the one with the r2.8 40?

Cool, I’ll keep ya posted. Apparently I missed you at the cruiser head meeting? Where you the one with the r2.8 40?

Yep. That was me ;)

Yep. That was me ;)
Cool, wish I had a chance to meet and talk to you!
I am worried that if you experience the savage power of the original F135 motor that you may second guess your swap choice. :rofl:

Still collecting bits and pieces for the rig. Ordered a new complete electrical system from @Coolerman and had the alternator sent off for a restoration at Mosley Motors. Excited to have functioning electrics. Years of bad repairs (some by me when I didn't know better) need to finally get fixed.
Planning on flying down to CA soon and hope to crank out some work. New tires are first on the list, then swapping in the restored dizzy and electrical parts. :)

Still collecting bits and pieces for the rig. Ordered a new complete electrical system from @Coolerman and had the alternator sent off for a restoration at Mosley Motors. Excited to have functioning electrics. Years of bad repairs (some by me when I didn't know better) need to finally get fixed.
Planning on flying down to CA soon and hope to crank out some work. New tires are first on the list, then swapping in the restored dizzy and electrical parts. :)

October? I could probably make that work.

Enjoyed the thread. I wish I knew were my 1974 FJ40 is that I bought in 1979 and sold in 83 was. Lots of great memories and yet I dont have any pictures, sad.

Enjoyed the thread. I wish I knew were my 1974 FJ40 is that I bought in 1979 and sold in 83 was. Lots of great memories and yet I dont have any pictures, sad.
Thanks! Its been hard having it two states away and not being able to drive or work on it..... but with a cruiser at our house already maybe that is a good thing. hahaha.
Bummer on the no pics of your old rig. Hopefully its still kicking around. You never know you may run into it again one day. I wasn't expecting see mine ever again.

October? I could probably make that work.
We may fly down this month. If the work goes well a drive back in October could be in the cards. :steer:

Got some teaser pics from @FJ60Cam of the restored alternator. Excited to team this bad boy up with the new harness and voltage regulator.
48713479887_0da7c2f026_z.jpg

48713479872_a69b7a97cf_z.jpg

Before:
44578327060_5f48bef4b6_z.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while since a update. Getting ready to head down to CA for Christmas and prepping to get some work done on the cruiser. First order will be to install the restored dizzy and get it running again, then get the tires replaced. I some Falken 235/75R15s on order (super good deal). I am truly going to miss the 33x9.5 tires but the dry rot on them is so bad. Have a few more parts I am hoping to be able to install this visit but with holiday craziness we will see how much time I get.

Been a while since a update. Getting ready to head down to CA for Christmas and prepping to get some work done on the cruiser. First order will be to install the restored dizzy and get it running again, then get the tires replaced. I some Falken 235/75R15s on order (super good deal). I am truly going to miss the 33x9.5 tires but the dry rot on them is so bad. Have a few more parts I am hoping to be able to install this visit but with holiday craziness we will see how much time I get.

Standing by to order a ticket. Get that rig running and we cannonball it back!

You got this!

Had a bit of time to get some essential work done on Clifford during my visit to California. I was finally able to install the restored dizzy from advanced distributors:
]
49245666478_e19d4f9bc4_c.jpg

Did a little tune up with NOS Denso plugs:
49240428316_cebb77f004_z.jpg

Some other essential tune up parts and new tail lights went on thanks to this guy:
49283666058_c9645449bb_z.jpg

Finally got some new shoes (Falken AT3) in 235/75R15 size and installed the stainless period correct hub caps. :) I liked these tires, they rode well and the size is perfect for a stock suspension 40.
49284347537_1c77617266_z.jpg

49284140136_825a866e48_z.jpg

I didn't get a chance to installed the @Coolerman harness or the beautiful alternator from @FJ60Cam but it was sure wonderful to see them in person :D

Next project for is to fix the wiper switch. The shaft seems to be seized in the switch so you can't turn it. Its soaking it electrical cleaner solution, hoping that frees up the switch.

Oh man, I can't believe its almost been a year since I last saw Clifford :( . Not many updates of course. Collecting parts when I can as the old budget allows.
I did get a complete steering assembly from a 1964 FJ40 for free locally. I love how helpful and nice cruiser people are. Plans are to refurbish this assembly and use it to do a swap with the setup on Clifford to limit downtime. Then if someone wants my steering assembly for free they can refurbish that one. Need to keep paying it forward. :) Hoping to make a drive down to CA early next year to get some work done on it.
50715781831_b1ae8a3741_c.jpg

Scored some cool old Koito reflectors the other day out of Japan. :) I believe when my dad painted the 40 red so many years ago he threw away the original rear reflector. :doh: It never had side ones though when I originally owned it... but I bet the mounting holes are hiding under a little filler and paint. Also got a nice oil pan from @Drake2 for the spare F135. Now the bottom end will be better protected for storage. Hopefully driving down to see the 40 soon so I can get some wrenching done.
1614575614974.png

Put on a new fuel pump while I am in town :) . Installed it and then had fuel spray all over the running engine. Scary stuff. Well turns out the olive was beyond toasted. Thankfully a new one was on hand. Engine runs great! There is a high idle issue I need to figure out, I’m guessing a vacuum leak somewhere. But I got a short test drive and boy was it fun. :). Also, don’t worry, those battery hold down bungee cords are totally OEM pieces. :hillbilly:
35D9C79B-A20D-46E1-81B0-14072D2CF38A.jpeg

B4D3A773-A36A-42BF-ADDB-74BE9200CCC8.jpeg

FF339E09-0C95-4420-ABBF-38D10DC837BB.jpeg

A special delivery today from @ntdb :D. Never thought I would get my hands on one of these for Clifford. Time to clean it up!! Poor thing was hit with a blast of some kind of paint in its past life.
D58FC050-991E-4FFC-907D-07ABDEA91A0E.jpeg

Hey all, so what is the best course of action when restoring the old exhaust manifolds? Is it pointless to try to get them to work again. The current one on my rig is stuck is the cold position so it’s always heating the intake manifold (not good). This new one I got today looks to be frozen in the hot position. Better! But it would be nice to have it work. Thoughts? Leave it as is?
BFF62AF1-F52D-41E2-B6A4-C31EE7D5383F.jpeg
33508D58-AD1B-43DE-85E5-32F2407385FB.jpeg
AF66A3E2-91A5-4515-A9AA-C4286E709D6F.jpeg

If you live in a warm climate and drive on hot days, the last thing you want is more heat under your carb. I would repair it, or disable it in the cold position.

If you live in a warm climate and drive on hot days, the last thing you want is more heat under your carb. I would repair it, or disable it in the cold position.
Yeah, I’m going to try and get it to work. Going to try a torch and tapping at the ends of the shaft to break it free and get it rotating. In my younger years I tried to fix it and found out fast just how brittle those iron parts are. :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom