We Boost, has anyone used it... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am interested in the WeBoost cell phone signal enhancer. With me going wheeling without her, in case of emergency or even on a road trip to where there is spotty service I am thinking of getting the Weboost setup.

WeBoost

This is the setup I am looking at. My question is has or does anyone know of anyone that has used this and if so what are your opinions? Before I drop $500 on something and it doesn't work I wanna make sure this is something I want.

Scott

I have no experience with Weboost but you could purchase a used Iridium Go! Device for the same cost which would get you true pole to pole coverage. Iridium GO! Wi-Fi hotspot for iOS and Android smart phones and tablets by Outfitter Satellite Phones

There are consumer grade satellite based products like Garmin's inreach Mini that are about $350 new which allow for location, SOS and texting services and pairs with your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. it is on my short list of offroad gear.
Amazon product ASIN B07CR7PL54

Ffrom what I read on the Weboost site, it boosts an already reachable signal and it makes it stronger in the vehicle. If you have any signal at all, a text will usually get through where a call would not.

I’ve used the WeBoost 4GE OTR booster for about 2 years, with ATT, primarily in remote areas of Nevada... I’m VERY pleased!!

Boosters only boost existent signals... if there’s no signal available, there’s nothing to boost.

I’ve camped/hiked a number of remote locations, with NO signal whatsoever. But, I can generally drive < 10 miles and locate a signal.

I carry a SPOT-X (GPS Text capability) for “no signal” locations and always keep it hanging from a belt loop whenever away from home.

For the WeBoost, pay particular attention to the separation requirements, for the inside and outside antennas.

If you place the inside and outside antennas too close together, they will “fight” each other and ultimately degrade the boosted signal.

If you set it up efficiently, you’ll see an increase in at least 1-2 bars (iPhone), with the 4” magnetic antenna and 2-3 bars, with the OTR antenna, mounted only about 10” above my roof rack. Of course, the increase in signal is dependent on the quality of the signal and the efficiency of your installation.

Note: Around IOS 10.1, Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to remove the iPhone capability to portray signal strength in decibels. That makes it difficult to actually determine actual booster performance. Thus far (1.5 yrs?), Apple has (surprise!) ignored all requests to reinstate that capability.

I am interested in the WeBoost cell phone signal enhancer. With me going wheeling without her, in case of emergency or even on a road trip to where there is spotty service I am thinking of getting the Weboost setup.

WeBoost

This is the setup I am looking at. My question is has or does anyone know of anyone that has used this and if so what are your opinions? Before I drop $500 on something and it doesn't work I wanna make sure this is something I want.

Scott
I know a large Ag corporation that uses these now in their fleet rigs to boost signals as the rely on mobile for a lot of the work they do. I've heard they work well. Was just looking at them too.

We tried WeBoost for a construction site with crappy cell service. The site was in Los Angeles, but in an area with low signal strength. We had it professionally installed by a company WeBoost recommended.

Our experience was poor. Our signal strength - as displayed on our phones read higher with the WeBoost on, but our call success rate did not improve. The install company swapped units, tried 3 different antenna and relocated them also. No real improvement. Finally, a new cell tower was installed in the area, which ended our troubles.

Since we owned it, I tried the WeBoost in our RV, as we camp in remote areas with marginal cell service. Again, I can't say our phones worked any better than other people with us without the booster.

This was several years ago, so maybe the boosters work better?

IMHO, if you want emergency communications in areas with poor cell service, look at Sat Phones and InReach type devices. You are going to pay no matter - all options are expensive.

Relying on a booster to improve a poor signal, may not work when you need it most. The Sat phone and InReach will work!

I have the 4gx-rv in my trailer. I added a directional antenna. I get about a 20db gain. But I have the antenna mounted a few feet above my trailer roof. My signal is a no go about 140 db. At 120-110 I can usually stream. The inside antenna is only good if you're inside the trailer.

Thank you for all the information and input. I am still on the fence about getting one if I do it will be one of the last things I do as far as completely the LC project.

I just got done running the weboost Drive Reach for a week and I am very impressed. Never really thought much of boosters until I started researching good solutions to offer on my website. Everything pointed to the current Wilson(weboost) product. I was intrigued so much that I bought one personally prior to becoming a dealer. I bought it fully thinking it would be meh, but that's just not the case. It simply makes it better anytime there is any kind of signal. I literally sat in the middle of nowhere and had a decent enough signal to make calls and text without issue. I even sent some videos and photos from White Crack campsite inside Canyonlands.

For me, not having cell signal is a plus and almost a requirement when camping. And most places I go have no service. For emergency use, it would be nice. But I have ham radio for that. A second option may be nice but isn't currently high on my list. Still interested in hearing more though.

For me, not having cell signal is a plus and almost a requirement when camping. And most places I go have no service. For emergency use, it would be nice. But I have ham radio for that. A second option may be nice but isn't currently high on my list. Still interested in hearing more though.

I hear you. I have mixed feeling about using it as well, especially when getting away from everything. Its easy enough to turn it off though.

no brainier.. these work great. I use the Wilson (weboost bought them I think).

I think of it as more of a radio repeater and is good to check weather, or find out what is going on. I get signal where the phone would not ring without it turned on. Works best with a roof based antenna.

These are standard equipment in our work trucks, they work.

I have installed weBoost Drive 4G-M in our 2007 FJ Cruiser and it works great, just remember no cell signal nothing to boost. If there is a signal we are able to get email, text, and phone calls. I plan on installing one in the trailer.
Aloha
Aukaiiki sends...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom