Intro, Thanks to the board gurus, and Build/Discovery Thread 1966 Proffitts restored 4BT and SOA FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been deep into old threads researching all thing FJ40/45 for the past week. I appreciate everything folks take the time to put out there, thanks. Good responses to this thread as well, thank you all.

I head out to Ohio on Saturday for the LJ/FJ swap. I'll post up some pics and impressions when I get home on Monday. After all of the research, I am almost certain it is best to just leave this build as it is. Whether it stays in my hands long term or not remains to be seen, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to re-engineer an already re-engineered and complete build. Someone will want it if it is too much for me.

Since I am also ending up with a complete BJ40 drivetrain as well as the Cummins R2.8 repower motor, I've been looking at options there. I've spent a bunch of time on the patina restoration threads, particularly @wngrog, and much thanks owed there for the great info. I joke about buying the 40/45 from him, and would snap one up in aheartbeat, but in truth I would much rather build my own.

Anyone have a 40 or 45, preferably from the 60's as I like the style better, with original paint, great patina and no rot? I assume it will have to come from out west, so running just enough to get it on a truck would be nice, but otherwise not worried about original drivetrain as it will get a disc brake upgrade, maybe power steering, etc. Maybe the Cummins in a true stealth patina build? I will promise that the right truck would NEVER see paint, just the @wngrog patina treatment. I'll post up a wanted ad as well. There's a unicorn out there somewhere. Thanks again everyone, and I'll post more post-swap.

I'm sure you will be happy either way. If/when the unicorn build comes along, I'm sure there will be plenty on folks on here anxious to see how it goes. I will be first in line. Good luck and safe travels this weekend.

Dude I vote keep the SOA and 4BT run it. Ive built several SOA and a couple with 4BT heck I put a 4BT in a 1980 mini truck for some guy I thought originally he was nuts but he wanted what he wanted and was willing to pay to get it so in it went. 4BT is a tractor motor so to say but some elements you may not like can be mitigated by sound deadening material on fire wall and floor. The motor mounts are a big deal for vibration I dont know what Jeremiah used but I use a set designed for a boat liquid filled and they do a great job of isolating the vibrations they are a little spendy tho. Try the 40 for a while but ultimately if you want a 45 come out west and buy one not rusty or clapped out and drop the 2.8 your getting in it or build one from scratch aquala (frame and tub) axles from the other rig your getting and build. Since you live in the rustbelt then sell the 40. welcome to the addiction...

Guess i'm the only one that thinks the roof rack is kinda cool/different, if you were going to sell it, shipping to Arizona would kill me though. Maybe I need new readers....

I currently have a 60 with 4BTA/SOA. I was hesitant at first, but now realize if done right its not to bad. Doesn't vibrate or bounce as much as I thought and I can speak to my wife without shouting at her while driving. The PO did all the work, sound deadening material, correct motor mounts, has a balancer on it. It does turn heads, cant go anywhere without someone wanting to see the setup. I love my 60, used as a trail riding rig, nothing extreme.

Drove the LJ on its last mission from Virginia to Toledo. Met up with a very nice gentleman and swapped my LJ for the 1966 FJ40 described above. Great experience, everyone walked away happy.

Super clean, Proffitts frame off restoration. Aqualoo tub. 4BT, SOA, ARB lockers, 8274, Vintage air. Etc. All there.

Impressions: I was actually more of a fan of the 4BT than I thought I would be. Is it industrial? Absolutely. Is it noisy? Of course. But it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Tons of torque, a very satisfying turbo sound. The H55 shifts nicely, which is good as it needs to be shifted a lot to keep the RPMs low and in the power band. An early FJ40 is a tractor, and this continues that tradition. Score 1 for the 4BT.

Short wheelbase and rather quick ratio power steering will take some getting used to. Small input is key. Neutral here, just an adjustment period.

Spring Over: Damn, is this thing tall. My LJ had a 1" body lift, 3" springs and 37s. This FJ with about 6 inches of lift, and taller to start with, even with 1 inch less net on the 35s, is a beast. Climb on up in. It feels tall from the driving position too. That said, as folks on here mentioned, the softer, lower arch springs are actually quite comfortable. It soaked up bumps pretty well, and was not at all a harsh ride. Tire pressures were lower than they probably should have been, which helped with softness but also made it feel a bit more unstable in corners than I am used to. A fair amount of body lean between the softer springs, softer tires, and NBA level height.

Otherwise, very clean. Lived inside so no Toledo salt. 3500 miles on it since the restoration. Well done.

Verdict: This thing is a one man rolling shock and awe campaign. It's tall, loud, capable, anti-stealth. Sounds a bit like the garbage truck coming through the neighborhood. I kind of like it.

Will I keep it? Not sure. I flew home and the truck is going to my house in Maine, so I only got about an hour with it. I will be up there for 2 weeks in October, and will play with it then. Ultimately, probably not, but I will give it a little time. That said, if any of you just have to have it, let's talk. Cash is golden or what have you to keep the trades rolling?

Will I change anything? No. It's re-engineered into what it is, and that is a complete package that should stay the way it is. The Repower 2.8 will find another home.

Some marginal cell phone pics, more to follow when I can get it out for some poser shots and a DSLR.

20190901_124220_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122849_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122909_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122919_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122926_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122933_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122828_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122836_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122944_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122949_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123007_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123013_HDR-L.jpg

Thanks again for all of the help and insight. The saga continues, but quite happy with the outcome so far. :flipoff2:

What is that ?

Screenshot_20190902-182024_Chrome.jpg

Nice builded 40 , swap the wheels for steelies for a more vintage look.
Old bfg mud terrain must be dry?
Thanks. I didn't check the build date on the tires, but they aren't new and I'm sure could stand a refresh. I like the steely look. I've considered a set of FJ cruiser steelies and a set of the new Kenda Klever 35x10.5 tires for the vintage skinny look. Have to run spacers though, which I'm not crazy about.

I thought I did a ton of searching for a tall and skinny 35 tire. Didn't know Kenda made one. Thanks for the info.

Have you heard any reviews on that tire? That's a great size!

Have you heard any reviews on that tire? That's a great size!
I haven't heard many. I've been hoping for that size for a long time. Talking with Jeremiah Proffitts about this rig, he said he loves the tire and is building an entire truck around it. So, one favorable review at least.

They haven't made those tires (the original KM mud terrain) for going on 15 years now. They are that old at best.

I'd drop it down an inch or two, and get skinnier tires and steel wheels. It'll be quicker, steer better, brake better, and generally ride better.

And remove that gigantic out of place roof rack. That's a very nice base to make your own.

I ended up going with the Toyo MT in 285/75/17 They claim they are 34x11.50x17 but on the vehicle they measure 33.6.. Keep us posted if you go with these and let us know how they work. I may need to change tires..

According to a quick email reply from a Sales Associate at Kenda, that tire weighs 67.3# and the dimensions listed are mounted dimensions...

Their list of online retailers isn't confidence inspiring, but at $210/tire it's something worth considering.

For all following this thread, I put a feeler out for a sale/trade. FJ40 swap for ? We'll see what pops up. Otherwise, baselining will begin shortly and I'll play with it a bit.

Truck made it to Maine. I'll make it to Maine in 2 weeks and then the baselining and fun will begin.

IMG_1422-L.jpg

beast%20in%20maine2-L.jpg

Beast%20fj40%20in%20Maine-L.jpg

I haven't updated this post in awhile, mostly chatter on the For sale post. Short version, I'm in Maine with the truck. A few disappointments on the paint as I'll have to repaint 3 panels. The 40 was improved a bunch by taking the 200 lbs off the roof, both looks and function. Dry balloon tires and wheels are gone and replaced by steelies and skinnies. Giant improvement there as well.
Old
20191002_174219_HDR-L.jpg

New
20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_171849_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_174325_HDR-L.jpg

Much improved. Still an industrial animal with quirks, but I like it more every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom