‘95 LC where is oil pressure sending unit located? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning all,

The oil pressure gauge on my 95 Land Cruiser is always pegged and I’m assuming that perhaps the connector has fallen off and is grounding. With that said, I have had no success actually finding the location of the sending unit itself to investigate, can anyone advise? Appreciate it.

Remove the heat-shield from the forward most exhaust manifold and you will be able to see the sending unit just below it (on the oil cooler).

Relocate3.jpg

Oil Cooler.jpg

oil.jpg

Gracias. I was looking on the same side where the oil filter is figuring it was over there. No wonder I couldn’t spot it LOL

Logic would dictate looking there first. But Mr. 'T' never fails to surprise me, so you are in good company.

Just to update the thread; neither the power or ground connectors came off the sending unit but the unit itself was incredibly rusty and the connectors were the same. Fortunately, I had purchased a new sending unit so I swapped it out and cleaned all the connectors real thoroughly with sandpaper and put a little dielectric grease on and we are back to restored oil pressure gauge operation

Glad that worked out for you.

Just to add another possible reason for a (almost) pegged oil pressure gauge for anyone who runs into a similar situation in the future. I once had a faulty oil filter that was giving wonky readings on the oil pressure gauge.
Once that filter was replaced the readings went back to normal. FWIW.

Last edited:
Just to update the thread; neither the power or ground connectors came off the sending unit but the unit itself was incredibly rusty and the connectors were the same. Fortunately, I had purchased a new sending unit so I swapped it out and cleaned all the connectors real thoroughly with sandpaper and put a little dielectric grease on and we are back to restored oil pressure gauge operation

Excellent.

Thank you for posting a 'follow up'.

So many times we never hear back from folks. Perhaps this will be of help to someone else with the same issue in the future.

Flint.

Novice question. Best to do it at an oil change interval? Will oil leak out of that hole when swapping the new unit in?

Thanks

Some will leak out (engine off of course) or wait until an oil change, remove fill cap, remove filter, remove drain plug, let the engine drain out, then change the pressure "Gage" /sender, but not required. FWIW the threads on the Sender/Gage (and the threaded hole) are not Metric or NPT, they're 1/8-28 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered). Only important to know if you planned to put something other than the correct pressure sender/Gage into the threaded hole, like to manually check oil pressure.

Some will leak out (engine off of course) or wait until an oil change, remove fill cap, remove filter, remove drain plug, let the engine drain out, then change the pressure "Gage" /sender, but not required. FWIW the threads on the Sender/Gage (and the threaded hole) are not Metric or NPT, they're 1/8-28 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered). Only important to know if you planned to put something other than the correct pressure sender/Gage into the threaded hole, like to manually check oil pressure.

^^^^

Important detail. 👍

Glad that worked out for you.

Just to add another possible reason for a (almost) pegged oil pressure gauge for anyone who runs into a similar situation in the future. I once had a faulty oil filter that was giving wonky readings on the oil pressure gauge.
Once that filter was replaced the readings went back to normal. FWIW.

Wix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom