VSC TRAC, VSC OFF lights on...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
This spring my '03 4R sat for months in the garage, battery died. When I got it running these lights came on. They go out when it is restarted, but come on with first movement of the wheels. ABS sensor possibly? No mice in my garage, they would have chewed into the dog food and bird food bags if they were in there. Thoughts?
20190721_182917.jpg

ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU needs a zero point. If you get a scanner that can read that system it will tell you exactly what is wrong (or use Techstream). If it isn't a sensor/harness based on that, you can also do a zero point calibration and it should take care of it.

Sorry for butting in, asking to avoid creating a redundant thread.
Similar situation after a CV job was done on 04 GX470.
Not by me and not for me, but for my brilliant child who bought the trashed vehicle that 'just needed some work'.
Does it also need this zero point calibration?

[She had new tires installed with no TPMS reset done there, replaced the radiator, front brakes (I think pads only) in OK, then in Wichita Falls, TX some shop cut her rear air bags off and put springs in. After that she towed a U-Haul trailer into Green Bay, WI area, and this is where guys from Ness Auto Center rebuilt her CVs and told her she needs to spend another thousand or two on front hub job to fix the lights.
She traded in a 2-year Corolla for this masterpiece, and she is not mechanically experienced at all. Most girls need to go to dealers and simply have more money or a handy husband, and she is out of luck there as well. And I am 2000 miles away at the moment]

Hard to say without the VSC/abs/atrac codes

It seems those lights go on with the "CEL" light always. I had them go on because the brake pedal switch was faulty.

I have these on for an unrelated CEL, as well, so it raises the question for me - can the lights be on without having VSC, etc., actually off? Seems odd if so.

Not sure, I know for sure I don't have traction control when these lights are on though. Tested it with the lights on and off, also the DAC does not work with these lights on.

Whoever did the cv job mucked up the right front wheel speed sensor, as per that printout. Easy enough to break it when doing that job. Since she's nowhere near the shop that did the job, either she or you should pony up for the fix...

Whoever did the cv job mucked up the right front wheel speed sensor, as per that printout. Easy enough to break it when doing that job. Since she's nowhere near the shop that did the job, either she or you should pony up for the fix...

Thank you very much. She is actually in the same town with the guys who did the CV job - Ness Auto Center in Green Bay, WI. When she addressed the issue with them they kindly offered to fix it for another $600. And I don't know what kind of material(s) and parts went into the unit. AFAIK, the boots better be Toyotas or Rockfords as they are the only ones made of a thermoplast material (Dupont), the rest of aftermarket fall apart pretty quickly, especially with the temperature ranges in WI.

ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU needs a zero point. If you get a scanner that can read that system it will tell you exactly what is wrong (or use Techstream). If it isn't a sensor/harness based on that, you can also do a zero point calibration and it should take care of it.
What exactly is a “zero point calibration”?

An alignment?

No it is in the computer system or a pin jump with a paperclip. A search will show you

Yep, get the car on a flat level surface and jumper a couple of pins in the socket for the data plug. The info and pin numbers are on the web. A dead battery when the car is unlevel will set off the "VSC OFF" warning lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom