Electric Power Steering in a 78 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nah, I'd go xterra gear, with Saginaw or Toyota pump.
Too much play... I started this thread, and realize this system is good for weekends, light driving.
If every piece is 100% then it's okay.
If you want modern tight steering without 83 points of slop, go fj60 style...
xterra Is something I just came across.
Perfect option. 3.8 lock to lock, same hardware as the 60 swap.
Sorry I'm ranting...
Too much beer.... lol...

Nah, I'd go xterra gear, with Saginaw or Toyota pump.
Too much play... I started this thread, and realize this system is good for weekends, light driving.
If every piece is 100% then it's okay.
If you want modern tight steering without 83 points of slop, go fj60 style...
xterra Is something I just came across.
Perfect option. 3.8 lock to lock, same hardware as the 60 swap.
Sorry I'm ranting...
Too much beer.... lol...

Thank you @thecrazygreek for getting back to me. Is there information on this form about what parts I will need for xterra change? I appriciate your help.

The steering gear needed is a Cardone 27-8416 Remanufacture.
Which is the Nissan Xterra gear.

You can get the pitman arm lots of places. All of the Nissan gears attachment points are the same as the Toyota's gear.
Input shaft, pitman arm, and fluid in and out.

You can Google the part # above and research the specs.

I took it off-road several times before I left Italy. It was mostly dirt trails up in the hills-lots of ruts and rocks but nothing I would call "hardcore". The system has never given me any problems and is going on three or so years of service (much of that daily driven on sh*tty Italian country roads).

The difference it makes with everyday maneuveres and parking is unbelievable. Honestly I just forget that it's electric most of the time and I don't think I would hesitate to take it anywhere a stock(ish) 40 series could handle.

Another perk with the EZ EPS is the ability to adjust the assist level. In the woods or in the city you can keep it super light with lots of assist and on the highway you can turn it down for some weight and feel.
I'm curious if this makes noise since its in the cab? Does it get hot? How's the leg room? Thx

I'm curious if this makes noise since its in the cab? Does it get hot? How's the leg room? Thx
I now own the Troopy @mdkaboom had. I drive the troopy almost everyday I am not at work and simply love the electric PS. It tucks away very nicely, does not affect leg room at all. There is no noise or anything louder then a Landcruiser develops driving. I also have never experienced any heat from the unit.

I like the set up so much I bought about unit for the 77 project. I have had a Saginaw PS set up before in one of my other 40's and there is no comparison. I simply wouldn't waste my money on Saginaw set up again.

I now own the Troopy @mdkaboom had. I drive the troopy almost everyday I am not at work and simply love the electric PS. It tucks away very nicely, does not affect leg room at all. There is no noise or anything louder then a Landcruiser develops driving. I also have never experienced any heat from the unit.

I like the set up so much I bought about unit for the 77 project. I have had a Saginaw PS set up before in one of my other 40's and there is no comparison. I simply wouldn't waste my money on Saginaw set up again.
Thank you! Good feed back!

I installed the EZ PS on my 11/70 FJ40 a couple years back. I have a 4” HFS lift with 35 mud tires with both lockers, 4.56 diffs and stock F engine. It was a bit challenging with changing the firewall plate and fitting it behind the dash nicely. I did change to a newer 2 piece Fj40 column and moved the three on the tree to the floor. The electric motor does take up some space behind the dash and I was barely able to fit my ARB air pump and locker switches on the left side of the dash below the light switch. I have taken it wheelin and it works fine. On the street and dirt it works very good. When you get into the real rocks and serious off camber, it works just okay it’s no Saginaw. I always worried about over extending it and over heating the system, but no issues, yet.

Someone with better skills than I could have performed a cleaner install. I liked the fact not having to add another belt, keeping the engine bay clean/empty, and not putting the additional strain on the motor. If I had a modern motor, then I probably would have gone Saginaw.

Article on how to install on older FJ40:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom