Which Engine?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks,
I have a 1973 FJ40 and I currently have the F engine. It only has 60,000 miles according to the odometer and has gone through 5 owners and looks like junk. Also, the carburetor has been running rich since before I got it and I don't know how long. I am about to make an appointment to have it tuned. I wanted to see how it performs after and was thinking of rebuilding it as a project.

BUT

I still can't help to think, what could be a better option. I was thinking fuel injection plus I would like A/C in it one day.
I read somewhere about someone putting a 2007 Silverado engine in theirs and it got me thinking. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra sitting in my driveway. What about the 3UR-FE engine?? (381 HP)(5.7 L Iforce V8)
[TRD sells a supercharger for this engine as well which bumps it up to 504 HP]
Is the stock 3UR-FE tooo much power for a little 40 shorty. Also would like to get rid of the 3 speed and go with something that will drive beautiful on the California highways but also romp off-road and handle well climbing in low gear. (Which my Tundra kicks butt at)

I have also done extensive research into LS engines and the other engines that came in the early land cruisers but any info would be great.

Thank you!

This is one of those slippery slope topics that can go lot's of directions.

If and when I get to build my dream rig, it will be powered by a connect and cruise LS power-plant (or very similar)

If you don't want to go down a spendy path, but want decent reliable performance and keep things stockish, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the Holley Sniper 2300 Fuel Injection System. It will get you up and running, provides some good power from the stock motor, and wont take forever.

The conversion is limited to getting a transfer case that can point at the differentials, otherwise the driveshafts will be at kinda extreme angles, right? Cruiser axles are really off center, unlike Tundra's.

Slippery slope indeed.

I would try a compression test first. That will tell you all you need to know. If compression is good, just clean it up and tune it up, and send the carb to Marks Offroad or JimC and have it rebuilt.
Next step could be Holly Sniper Fuel Injection.

As for swaps, I'd go the LS route. Cheap (in terms of engine swaps) it's been done a ton so no real gotchas and plenty of parts available.

The Toyota would require quite a lot of work and figuring things out on your own.

I had an FJ40 with a 350 and I put TBI fuel injection on it. It ran pretty dang good. It's all about what you want in your rig. I like the toyota engines, and I'm ok with LS swaps. Diesel is where it's at ;):rofl:

If you don't want to go down a spendy path, but want decent reliable performance and keep things stockish, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the Holley Sniper 2300 Fuel Injection System. It will get you up and running, provides some good power from the stock motor, and wont take forever.

Wasn't there a thread in this section about this FO not being CARB compliant in CA. Which is where the OP shows his location. Or is if your vehicle is pre 76 can do anything you want (as long as you don't get caught)? Resell a vehicle is any inspection needed?

Holley option would be for pre 75 rigs in cali.
I would assume people know this. If they don't, then I can't help them...
The connect and cruise engines are 50 state emissions legal...

Wasn't there a thread in this section about this FO not being CARB compliant in CA. Which is where the OP shows his location. Or is if your vehicle is pre 76 can do anything you want (as long as you don't get caught)? Resell a vehicle is any inspection needed?

No smog needed on pre 75, can do whatever you want. No inspections

I agree with the compression test and then that would determine which direction to go. But for me. Mine came with a SBC when it became mine, so I upgraded to a 383 SBC with EFI from MSD. I finally have it running the way I want it to but if I had to do it again I would grab an $1150 5.3 from one of the local shops along with the auto tranny and transfer case if I could.

X10 on a compression test.

It sounds like a good idea to rebuild an F till you’re knee deep and discover F pistons have been NLA for many years.

I love my SBC. When my 1.5F died in ‘96, it was either part the truck or convert. I could but a very nice 40 for the $3500 to rebuild Uuthe F in ‘96. $2500 put a SBC in the rig with: new clutch, 120 A alternator, and exhaust.

To do it again today I’d pick up a good running 2F and be ahead $2K or swap in a diesel. A diesel swap wouldn’t be worth it now... it’d be 10 years before the fuel savings would cover the cost of the swap. For now I’m enjoying a 350 that’ll pull steady from 400 rpm, and still get decent MPGs. :D

The conversion is limited to getting a transfer case that can point at the differentials, otherwise the driveshafts will be at kinda extreme angles, right? Cruiser axles are really off center, unlike Tundra's.
I solved this problem by going with an early FJ40 rear end that has the centered differential. This allows me to have a straight connection to my NP205 transfer case while retaining the stock LC width. This will be a fall/winter build this year so I will not know the whole picture till spring but should be very straight forward.

Welcome to Mud!
The FAQ has good links to get you started learning about engine swaps and the other modifications you're considering.

I solved this problem by going with an early FJ40 rear end that has the centered differential. This allows me to have a straight connection to my NP205 transfer case while retaining the stock LC width. This will be a fall/winter build this year so I will not know the whole picture till spring but should be very straight forward.

I'd consider a newer Toyota diff rather than a 40 that's getting long in the tooth. Course splines?

I've also read of a custom built Land Cruiser axle built out of a wider axle using two short side axles to make a centered axle.

This thread has details ---> FJ40 rear axle swap: recommendations?

Using two 80 series short side axles will make for an axle 12mm longer.

Last edited:
I'd consider a newer Toyota diff rather than a 40 that's getting long in the tooth. Course splines?

I've also read of a custom built Land Cruiser axle built out of a wider axle using two short side axles to make a centered axle.

This thread has details ---> FJ40 rear axle swap: recommendations?

Using two 80 series short side axles will make for an axle 12mm longer.
@bikersmurf , I am planning on dumping in a diff from the 1980 rear FJ40 axle assembly I picked up. I know I will have to drill and tap the centered housing stud holes for the larger 1980 diff studs and a pair of custom axle shafts for the fine spline guts. Do you see anything here that will not work or does not make sense? I do have both F&R axle assemblies from the 1980 so I will have the matching 3:70 gears.

Thanks

My 5.7 SBC will lift the front tires of my 40. It's terrifying when it does. It'll run 85 mph on the interstate without losing speed on the mountain passes. It can pretty easily do 0 to 75 in an 1/8th mile, which is really handy because many of the roads around me have 70 mph speed limits. It gets 17 mpg driving to and from work. It is overpowered for the vehicle, but you don't have to use all the power all the time. If I were going to do an engine swap, I would put in a small V8 and it wouldn't have power adders. They just aren't needed. I'd spend a little money with a cam shop to get something with good drive-ability characteristics for on the road and low RPM torque for off roading. They're probably going to call that an RV cam. In my opinion, a 2F engine would need to be pretty well built and pretty well tuned to outperform a pretty basic V8 for the type of driving most people do. I've never owned a 2F, but I've driven a few, and (despite its' terrifying ability to lift the front tires off the ground) I'd never trade my 5.7 for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom