Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up this little gem for the center bezel......I'll go thru the install and a little more detail once we get into it but it's a slick piece. OLED screen, about a million different display configs with alarms, trip computers, etc. I bought all the sensors so I will be able to monitor EGT, boost, oil temp, oil pressure, indoor/outdoor temp, etc. Couldn't resist hooking it up to see how it looked.

Almost fits the clock opening perfectly....about 1/16" off on each side which you can't see once it gets installed.

View attachment 2056146

That looks great! any more information about it? its a plug and play kind of thing or does require some programming?

That looks great! any more information about it? its a plug and play kind of thing or does require some programming?

I'll get some more info up once we get into mounting it and programming. It requires programming but it's pretty easy from what it looks like. Once sensors come online, it displays options on the programming software and you just select. SOUNDS easy but I bet it's not. Seems like a big part of it is trip computer stuff....so we'll have to grab a VSS signal for that to work. I'm sure it will take a little time.

It's one hell of a cool looking unit though.

We just swapped out a stock alternator on the 1FZ in the camper truck and I read about the Tundra unit. Might need to look into it on the 1HZ. That's up next because today our friendly Amazon driver dropped this dude off....

View attachment 2053979

Is this a re-manned Denso unit? What's the part number? It looks curiously similar to what is missing from my Troopy.

Started the breakdown on this guy today....going to do a reseal, clean things up, that's about it. Kind of wish I had played around with diesels earlier on....very simple....kind of like the 3FEs we play with. Fun stuff.

20190813_101431.jpg
20190813_101453.jpg
20190813_101531.jpg
20190813_101556.jpg

Bought a seat mount adapter from Planted. Front mounts line up, rears don't. Sure seems like it's really far forward too. A little tough to judge without a seat on it but it looks like we'll either adapt this one to fit or make our own. Was trying to avoid making a mount.....always a big job for some reason but if we have to, we will.

20190813_184433.jpg
20190813_184447.jpg

Bought a seat mount adapter from Planted. Front mounts line up, rears don't. Sure seems like it's really far forward too. A little tough to judge without a seat on it but it looks like we'll either adapt this one to fit or make our own. Was trying to avoid making a mount.....always a big job for some reason but if we have to, we will.

View attachment 2057612View attachment 2057613

Hmmmmm... Interesting.
Good to know....

Hmmmmm... Interesting.
Good to know....

Pretty sure if they don't fit the 79, they won't fit the Troopy. I'm planning to see the Troopy tomorrow at the body shop...maybe I'll take this thing along and see how it fits.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to work. Would have been WAY too easy.

Actually easy to fix the more I think about it....but I'll have to wait to get the seat here.

Pretty sure if they don't fit the 79, they won't fit the Troopy. I'm planning to see the Troopy tomorrow at the body shop...maybe I'll take this thing along and see how it fits.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to work. Would have been WAY too easy.

Actually easy to fix the more I think about it....but I'll have to wait to get the seat here.

Weird. I think @jmlockwood used the Planted mounts in his Troopy?

If they don't fit we should let Planted know, maybe get our cash back or at least a partial refund for having to mod the things.

Weird. I think @jmlockwood used the Planted mounts in his Troopy?

If they don't fit we should let Planted know, maybe get our cash back or at least a partial refund for having to mod the things.

Mine fit quite well. I did have to drill and find the captive seats for the passenger side because my truck was factory split bench in the front. What does the sticker say on it and I can compare with mine? I removed the seats when I sold the truck and the brackets are in my shop - waiting on another 70 series.

Mine fit quite well. I did have to drill and find the captive seats for the passenger side because my truck was factory split bench in the front. What does the sticker say on it and I can compare with mine? I removed the seats when I sold the truck and the brackets are in my shop - waiting on another 70 series.

No captive nuts on the 79s floor. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 75 floor is different. So @TonyP you'll probably be just fine.

I kind of figured these were for an early truck....pre-99(?). It's not like 79s are a common truck....especially to have seat adapters for.....in the US of all places. It's an easy fix so no big deal.

I'll go see Troopy today and bring the adapter along. I bet it's going to fit.

20190814_071041.jpg

No captive nuts on the 79s floor. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 75 floor is different. So @TonyP you'll probably be just fine.

I kind of figured these were for an early truck....pre-99(?). It's not like 79s are a common truck....especially to have seat adapters for.....in the US of all places. It's an easy fix so no big deal.

I'll go see Troopy today and bring the adapter along. I bet it's going to fit.

View attachment 2057884

Are these designed for a certain seat to go into the 70-series? Or are they intended to be universal and fit "any" aftermarket seat?

Thanks a bunch for this. Confirmed, it fits my truck.
But from looking into this it shows up as an R12 compressor? Are you running it as R134a?
We will be converting over to 134A. I didn't even catch that it was an R12 unit.

Are these designed for a certain seat to go into the 70-series? Or are they intended to be universal and fit "any" aftermarket seat?

The adapter brackets I have used like this accommodate the standard slider that comes with most aftermarket seats...there are various ways they mount...either to the bottom of the seat or on a side bracket. Some cars we build(for track stuff) will have a fixed side mount seat bracket(no sliders) that will bolt to this adapter....allows for height adjustment and angle of seat. Some of our seats come with sliders, some of them don't.....the Scheel Mann seats we're selling are available with sliders. I'm not sure if it's standardized or not but if we've gotten this far it's not a big deal to get the seats in. Some of our car adapters will have provisions to mount an inboard seat belt receiver to....some are pretty intricate with spots for sensors, etc. These are quite simple....simple truck.

Started the process of cleaning up the 1HZ...fairly clean motor to start with. It's nice to be able to spend time with them so we get to know them. Diesels are new for us but this thing feels really familiar.

Most of it is just a spray can job....not trying to win any shows with this. Just clean and neat.

20190814_103905.jpg

20190814_165924.jpg

Turbo feels nice and tight...we'll clean it and be done with it. May send it to our guy to have him go thru it.....we have time. Going to thermal coat the manifold/heat shields and maybe hot side of the turbo.

20190814_103912.jpg

Had the flywheel surfaced today....

20190814_165915.jpg

Slowish day today on #2....cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.

We'll drop the exhaust stuff off at thermal coating tomorrow so today we drilled for EGT. The temp sensor I will run with my new gauge setup has a spot right on the upper coolant outlet.
20190815_161349.jpg
20190815_171117.jpg
20190815_171125.jpg
20190815_183728.jpg

More cleaning and prepping on the motor today.

I bought one of these tumblers/polishers at Harbor Freight....wanted to see how it worked before I bought a bigger one. My guys spend so much time cleaning hardware, I figured this would be easier. Dump in some hardware and move on to other stuff. We usually run hardware for the day and sometimes overnight...we even do small brackets or parts. The stuff comes out pretty clean. We put Purple Power or whatever degreaser we have in there with the media.

20190816_083427.jpg
\

Ran these overnight. We clean them off and then spray them with Steel-It paint. Love that stuff. Really holds up well. Today I was playing around with a wire brush on this stuff and it did a pretty cool job on them.....would need to be clear coated though.

20190816_083422.jpg

Painted the block today in my go-to color which is always light grey. This is actually New Ford Grey. Good color.

Today we had two 348 Ferraris in the shop. 90s cars are the best cars. Well maybe not the best but they're super cool.

20190816_170704.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom