Events/Trails HIH9 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s Marla picking up her raffle prize. A new Diamondback Release 3 full suspension. Enjoy the new ride!!!

57375AF8-C33E-46F1-9A09-F4DFBACBCC64.jpeg

I think everyone should get into HAM because it is fun :)
I can't argue with anything you say, mostly because I don't understand it. For those of us hoping to go to future events you may need to dial it down to dumb guy levels, at least for me that would work. I'm not sure I have room in my brain for all the ins and outs let alone the equipment research etc. So I would recommend if ham is adopted a simpleton guide for those of us who might never get to finding it FUN. Maybe tips on where to look for the license info and classes and a couple of Best buy's for equipment.
That's where CB has the advantage, simplicity. It may be a much inferior system to a guy like yourself but for a guy like me I don't even have to think about it. Heck my newish to me rig came with one. If HAM was adopted as the go to for the next event I think that would be fine by most but a streamlined how to would be invaluable for those of us still stuck with a head full of unresolved questions on tire sizes and what that weird weight thing is on the frame ;)

Hey man. Sorry to hear about the dog trouble. Didn’t realize. Also, I drank some beers, I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way at raffle. Not intended. Glad you guys made it out. And recovered your dog.

Not at all, it was actually a funny comment but I was way too preoccupied to appreciate it.

She was tired from her week as a fugitive, didn't do much but sleep for a solid couple days 😂

IMG_20190804_001621.jpg

So, I found myself at the raffle thinking how I really hoped that I would win one of the Trekboxx tailgate covers. As luck would have it, I didn't win anything. However, as soon as I got home I ordered one. Those guys are very easy to work with, and it shipped fast. Looks amazing! Support those who support us.

Tailgate cover.jpg

Nice to see this support. David has been sending a very generous amount of raffle product for the past 5-6 years. Those tailgate replacements decks are always a big hit and it’s cool that we raffle off about a dozen every year. Your photo is nice! Maybe email that to Trekboxx.
So, I found myself at the raffle thinking how I really hoped that I would win one of the Trekboxx tailgate covers. As luck would have it, I didn't win anything. However, as soon as I got home I ordered one. Those guys are very easy to work with, and it shipped fast. Looks amazing! Support those who support us.

View attachment 2054315

I can't argue with anything you say, mostly because I don't understand it. For those of us hoping to go to future events you may need to dial it down to dumb guy levels, at least for me that would work. I'm not sure I have room in my brain for all the ins and outs let alone the equipment research etc. So I would recommend if ham is adopted a simpleton guide for those of us who might never get to finding it FUN. Maybe tips on where to look for the license info and classes and a couple of Best buy's for equipment.
That's where CB has the advantage, simplicity. It may be a much inferior system to a guy like yourself but for a guy like me I don't even have to think about it. Heck my newish to me rig came with one. If HAM was adopted as the go to for the next event I think that would be fine by most but a streamlined how to would be invaluable for those of us still stuck with a head full of unresolved questions on tire sizes and what that weird weight thing is on the frame ;)

Just so we're all on the same page.... we have ZERO plans to make ham radio a requirement for HIH attendees. Amateur radio is a serious hobby for those heavily involved and it is regulated by the FCC. Communication is fantastic and you can reach long distances with a basic setup. One of the major problems is misuse. A Boefang radio from Amazon is completely unlocked (think jailbroken) and can transmit on every frequency right out of the box. I spent 21 years as a federal air traffic controller. Someone with a Boefang and strong antenna could easily inadvertently broadcast on an ATC frequency (or any government-used regulated or emergency frequency) and cause serious issues. I hate to sound like a douche, but there's a reason you have to pass a test to transmit via ham radio. I run a Yaesu dual band radio in my 100. If I try to dial in an ATC frequency, I can hear every transmission, but if I try to broadcast, it'll give me an error code and block the transmission. I probably have $500 in that radio and my antenna and Gamiviti mount. With my $35 Boefang, I can transmit just like I was sitting in the Denver TRACON sequencing arrivals during the 6pm push. That's super dangerous. And kinda scary too since everyone seems to have a Boefang and no licence these days.

Again, not to sound like a douche, but don't broadcast on your jailbroken Boefang like it's a CB. If you do, at least be with someone who is a ham radio operator and can ensure you're using it correctly and responsibly. And don't curse. The reason why you hear folks broadcast their callsign every once in a while is because it's required by the FCC. That's the same reason you hear your favorite terrestrial radio station pause for station identification every 10 minutes or so.

There..... now I'm that guy. Sorry.

Just so we're all on the same page.... we have ZERO plans to make ham radio a requirement for HIH attendees. Amateur radio is a serious hobby for those heavily involved and it is regulated by the FCC. Communication is fantastic and you can reach long distances with a basic setup. One of the major problems is misuse. A Boefang radio from Amazon is completely unlocked (think jailbroken) and can transmit on every frequency right out of the box. I spent 21 years as a federal air traffic controller. Someone with a Boefang and strong antenna could easily inadvertently broadcast on an ATC frequency (or any government-used regulated or emergency frequency) and cause serious issues. I hate to sound like a douche, but there's a reason you have to pass a test to transmit via ham radio. I run a Yaesu dual band radio in my 100. If I try to dial in an ATC frequency, I can hear every transmission, but if I try to broadcast, it'll give me an error code and block the transmission. I probably have $500 in that radio and my antenna and Gamiviti mount. With my $35 Boefang, I can transmit just like I was sitting in the Denver TRACON sequencing arrivals during the 6pm push. That's super dangerous. And kinda scary too since everyone seems to have a Boefang and no licence these days.

Again, not to sound like a douche, but don't broadcast on your jailbroken Boefang like it's a CB. If you do, at least be with someone who is a ham radio operator and can ensure you're using it correctly and responsibly. And don't curse. The reason why you hear folks broadcast their callsign every once in a while is because it's required by the FCC. That's the same reason you hear your favorite terrestrial radio station pause for station identification every 10 minutes or so.

There..... now I'm that guy. Sorry.
Stan, thanks for being willing to be a subject matter expert and educate folks on this. As a licensed HAM operator, I understand the rules (just barely) but I'm not big enough into the hobby to help people understand why it's important to follow them. So thanks for being "that guy" @paflytyer.

Here’s Marla picking up her raffle prize. A new Diamondback Release 3 full suspension. Enjoy the new ride!!!

View attachment 2053948
My favorite part of the raffle was seeing her reaction, just awesome!

Marla's reaction was the best of the night! That enthusiasm was amazing. I would not have guessed in a raffle night with bumpers, roof racks, fridges, etc... that a mountain bike would get the big reaction, but I'm so glad it did. Very cool!

Congrats Marla!

has anyone else come back from HIH with a leaking rear main seal? I only noticed it because I laid under my truck to examine the under carriage post trip. After talking to a few people, they think it was all the water crossings, but if that's the case, everyone was doing a lot of water crossings..... hopefully I am the only one.

I did, but I went to HIH with a leaking rear main seal, twice! Mine hasn't seemed to be getting much worse, so I'm just monitoring it. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, seems to be a pretty rare problem.

What makes you think it was the water crossings?

First of all, thanks to Chris and Stan for putting together such a great event. I was initially bummed leading up to the event when it became obvious that some trails were going to be closed, but the reputation of the event was enough that I never considered not coming. The event did not disappoint. This was my first HIH, which I attended with my Dad. We both had a wonderful time and I look forward to attending a future event where I am hopefully able to hit some of the trails that were closed and have been on the bucket list. That being said, it is the people that make this event great.

I have posted some of my pictures at the following link:
Shared HIH9 Gallery

Pictures are mostly from the Thursday, California to Corkscrew led by Chris, Friday's Ophir to Alta Lakes to Last Dollar led by Carl and Saturday's Stony Pass to Kite Lake led by Andy.

@AimCOtaco, there are a few nice pictures of your rig from Saturday's run.

If anyone has a photo that they would like, let me know.

Scott

I did, but I went to HIH with a leaking rear main seal, twice! Mine hasn't seemed to be getting much worse, so I'm just monitoring it. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, seems to be a pretty rare problem.

What makes you think it was the water crossings?
I still haven't gotten my rig in, but when chatting about it with my mechanic it was believed that through the fly wheel removable trap door, possibly some type of dirt, debris or whatever got in there to disturb the seal. This was the first time this 100 series saw any type of wheeling, so it could have been anything. I did get caught up for a second on Moab right before HIH, but there weren't any signs that I hit or scraped the tranny or engine anywhere. I have never really experienced this on any previous vehicles. I don't think its a major problem since I have been monitoring the oil level and its only dropped 1/4 quart in 400 miles. It's just super annoying to have a leak. I will hopefully drop it off this week for some TLC

First of all, thanks to Chris and Stan for putting together such a great event. I was initially bummed leading up to the event when it became obvious that some trails were going to be closed, but the reputation of the event was enough that I never considered not coming. The event did not disappoint. This was my first HIH, which I attended with my Dad. We both had a wonderful time and I look forward to attending a future event where I am hopefully able to hit some of the trails that were closed and have been on the bucket list. That being said, it is the people that make this event great.

I have posted some of my pictures at the following link:
Shared HIH9 Gallery

Pictures are mostly from the Thursday, California to Corkscrew led by Chris, Friday's Ophir to Alta Lakes to Last Dollar led by Carl and Saturday's Stony Pass to Kite Lake led by Andy.

@AimCOtaco, there are a few nice pictures of your rig from Saturday's run.

If anyone has a photo that they would like, let me know.

Scott
Thanks for sticking with us and making the trip to HIH9. Glad you had a good time. 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom