If you had a do-over you'd start fresh with what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings...previous LR Defender guy and BMW ADVrider...getting smarter with age and looking to pick up a used 460 and begin the journey and perhaps catch up with some of you all on the trail soon! :)

While i wont go as deep as many of you, I def see a lift, wheels, sliders, bumpers....she'll be a daily driver with one or two tame adventures a year.

A few confirmations from you all would be great and mega valuable.

- I like the tech, niceties, lower miles of the 460 over 470. Any years better than others on 460?

- Am I right to not look for a ACH model as if you lift and mod, that is rendered useless?

- Does KDSS still function after modding?

- Anything I should definitely look for or not look for?

- Have any favorite shops in Dallas...i'm good with a keyboard, but not with a wrench?

Thanks...i'll leave this here and hope for a pile on! :)

Welcome! The 460 is a great vehicle in any year. What to generally look for is the lowest mileage with regular maintenance within your budget, preferably Lexus dealer maintenance. Dallas is a good market for finding clean used ones with good maintenance and no rust. If you have questions about specific vehicles/listings you are looking at feel free to post them here or on the GXOR Facebook page.

The 2010-2013 models had two trims, base and premium. The premium came with the AHC and rear airbags. The post-facelift 2014-2019 have three trims: base, premium and luxury. Luxury has the AHC but premium does not. The premium trims across all 2010-2019 and the 2014+ luxury all include the cooled front seats, which are great in Dallas summers. The pre- vs. post-facelift issue is a personal preference one. There is some good purchasing info at start [GX Offroad], and on the GXOR Facebook page using the search function.

The AHC isn't a huge dealbreaker because you can add a conversion kit for a few hundred dollars. So if you like the amenities of a model with AHC/airbags or you find a great deal, don't pass just because it has that feature.

KDSS still works after lifting the vehicle. It can cause a bit of a lean in front after a lift that can be managed in a few ways. Some suspension suppliers provide different length springs or provide shims to counteract the lean, or if you have adjustable springs you can use preload to counteract it. The best fix is an extension for the KDSS piston that Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad has created for the 470 - we are still waiting for the 460 model but it should be coming in the near future. The 460 and 470 have different sizes of sway bars, so the part is not interchangeable.

There are only two shops in Dallas I would trust with aftermarket modification of GX models: Tandem Automotive and Baertrax. I have used both on multiple occasions and they always treat me well. Tandem will usually get you in a little quicker and get you out a little cheaper (but still with excellent quality of work), but I personally use Baertrax more often because they are more convenient to my home and office.

Happy hunting and make sure to post updates as you purchase and modify your GX!

Wow...that's some great advice thanks! Definitely will be putting that to use! THANKS...i'll keep digging thru here and look forward to meeting some of you all on the trail.

*another thought here....is mileage a concern? I mean is there a big difference in say 70k to 100k...or once you get a couple years in 30k isnt going to make big deal? Looking at 2014s.

Last edited:
Agree with everything that TX 460 posted.
My addition is that when I purchased my GX, I specifically wanted a 2013 or newer because of the front grill. At the time there were no bumpers available for the 2014 and newer models. Now there are, but I don't think there is very much variety for the >2014's compared to <2013's. One nice thing about the GX is that it shares some of the aftermarket components from the 5th gen 4Runners, helping to cut costs and add options.

*another thought here....is mileage a concern? I mean is there a big difference in say 70k to 100k...or once you get a couple years in 30k isnt going to make big deal? Looking at 2014s.
Remember we're talking Toyota's here, not Land Rover or BMW. Toyota's aren't even broken in until you have 100k miles on the clock! Of course lower miles is always preferred but don't pass up a 2014 or whatever because it has an extra 20k or 30k miles on it if it has the color, options, overall condition and price point you want.

My wife and I had our own 100 series Landcruisers (both were 1998's). We finally upgraded last year to my 2013 GX and my wife really wanted a red Tacoma crewcab for surfing. When we got rid of our LC's, mine had 255,000 miles and my wife's LC had 285,000 miles. Both of them we would have no problem driving cross country as they were. The reason for moving on was NOT mechanical, but physical condition. The leather in my wife's was trashed from constant salt water swim suits and wet suits. Mine, I had a rust hole in the upper driver's window that would leak when it rained hard. And on both the clear coat was completely burnt off and the paint was not looking good. So in short, is was all cosmetic, not mechanical.

Here's the link to most of the build threads including mine: 150-Series Toyotas
Here you can get a good idea of various mild to wild (wild being a relative term, no GX rock crawlers... yet).

I agree with @r2m regarding mileage, with one caveat. A Toyota will only last a long time mechanically if it is well taken care of. So make sure any car you get has had its regular service done, preferably at a Lexus dealer so you can verify it. Not too hard to find in Dallas, but still keep it in mind when looking. But if the services have been completed a high mileage GX is not a concern.

Reactions: r2m
If I had to do over I'd start with exactly what I have now. I absolutely love this truck. My love for it mirrors my disdain for the run of the mill 5th Gen 4Runner build crowd. At it's base it is a Toyota and you can't go wrong with a well maintained and functional Toyota vehicle. My truck is a Texas truck (Park Place Lexus). Was an awesome transaction and easy to do experience. Given what I paid and getting everything that I wanted I have been very happy with my purchase. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and welcome to the club!

I agree with you GreenbowCounty. That's why I don't like Harley's, iPhones and 4R's, EVERYONE has one! There's a lot of better bikes out there than Harley's and I prefer the Galaxy Note series of phones.
Although, the 4R's I can understand the popularity because they are a Toyota and better than most any other vehicle out there except maybe the Tacomas for off roading, but how many GX's do you see lifted and mod'ed? I like being unique, to a point... I don't have pink hair, nose rings or tattoos.

Tomorrow I cruise up to OK to pick up a 16 Lux white on black. Cant wait. Been diving thru this forum and GXOR fantastic info...thank you! So you on the trail soon....btw I have pink hair and nose rings! ;) :rofl:

Tomorrow I cruise up to OK to pick up a 16 Lux white on black. Cant wait. Been diving thru this forum and GXOR fantastic info...thank you! So you on the trail soon....btw I have pink hair and nose rings! ;) :rofl:
This oughta be good...😂

CONGRATS:cheers::clap: on your new toy! You AND your family will absolutely love it.
No trails until September. My wife an I will be doing Death Valley for a couple of days. Shell take her Taco and I'll take mine. Looking forward to that trip!
LOL! I thought that was you (the monkey) in your profile picture!! Or does the monkey now have pink hair and a nose ring? :D

Welcome! The 460 is a great vehicle in any year. What to generally look for is the lowest mileage with regular maintenance within your budget, preferably Lexus dealer maintenance. Dallas is a good market for finding clean used ones with good maintenance and no rust. If you have questions about specific vehicles/listings you are looking at feel free to post them here or on the GXOR Facebook page.

The 2010-2013 models had two trims, base and premium. The premium came with the AHC and rear airbags. The post-facelift 2014-2019 have three trims: base, premium and luxury. Luxury has the AHC but premium does not. The premium trims across all 2010-2019 and the 2014+ luxury all include the cooled front seats, which are great in Dallas summers. The pre- vs. post-facelift issue is a personal preference one. There is some good purchasing info at start [GX Offroad], and on the GXOR Facebook page using the search function.

The AHC isn't a huge dealbreaker because you can add a conversion kit for a few hundred dollars. So if you like the amenities of a model with AHC/airbags or you find a great deal, don't pass just because it has that feature.

KDSS still works after lifting the vehicle. It can cause a bit of a lean in front after a lift that can be managed in a few ways. Some suspension suppliers provide different length springs or provide shims to counteract the lean, or if you have adjustable springs you can use preload to counteract it. The best fix is an extension for the KDSS piston that Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad has created for the 470 - we are still waiting for the 460 model but it should be coming in the near future. The 460 and 470 have different sizes of sway bars, so the part is not interchangeable.

There are only two shops in Dallas I would trust with aftermarket modification of GX models: Tandem Automotive and Baertrax. I have used both on multiple occasions and they always treat me well. Tandem will usually get you in a little quicker and get you out a little cheaper (but still with excellent quality of work), but I personally use Baertrax more often because they are more convenient to my home and office.

Happy hunting and make sure to post updates as you purchase and modify your GX!

Glad to hear that Baertrax is still in business, I used them a lot back when I lived up there for my Jeep mods. Great shop, very knowledgable. I've never heard of Tandem but I have been gone for almost five years now.

If I had to do over I'd start with exactly what I have now. I absolutely love this truck. My love for it mirrors my disdain for the run of the mill 5th Gen 4Runner build crowd. At it's base it is a Toyota and you can't go wrong with a well maintained and functional Toyota vehicle. My truck is a Texas truck (Park Place Lexus). Was an awesome transaction and easy to do experience. Given what I paid and getting everything that I wanted I have been very happy with my purchase. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and welcome to the club!

Haha, I get it, I think about dumping my 5th Gen daily, but I also think I'd be an idiot for doing so considering the fact that it's already somewhat modded and it's a Pro with all of the best bells and whistles. I wish it had cooled seats and dual climate zones (my other half is always cold) but most of all I wish I didn't see other 5th Gens on every corner. At this point I am better off keeping mine and continuing the build. My biggest gripe with the GX is the back door, I hated it on our 2011 GX and both FJC's, that alone will keep me from ever owning one again.

I agree with you GreenbowCounty. That's why I don't like Harley's, iPhones and 4R's, EVERYONE has one! There's a lot of better bikes out there than Harley's and I prefer the Galaxy Note series of phones.
Although, the 4R's I can understand the popularity because they are a Toyota and better than most any other vehicle out there except maybe the Tacomas for off roading, but how many GX's do you see lifted and mod'ed? I like being unique, to a point... I don't have pink hair, nose rings or tattoos.

Agreed, the 4Runner lacks soul and personality because they are so common, I hate that. The GX stigma isn't far behind, there tons of them out there on three year leases and they are very common with the upper middle class soccer mom types. I am starting to see more modded GX's on the road in recent years.

Agreed, the 4Runner lacks soul and personality because they are so common, I hate that. The GX stigma isn't far behind, there tons of them out there on three year leases and they are very common with the upper middle class soccer mom types. I am starting to see more modded GX's on the road in recent years.
I don't hardly see any GX's down in So. CA. I kind of really stand out having a GX and with it being overland built. But yes, the GX's I do see are definitely soccer mom buses. As noted above, one of the prime reasons I love these rigs!

Agree with everything that TX 460 posted.
My addition is that when I purchased my GX, I specifically wanted a 2013 or newer because of the front grill. At the time there were no bumpers available for the 2014 and newer models. Now there are, but I don't think there is very much variety for the >2014's compared to <2013's. One nice thing about the GX is that it shares some of the aftermarket components from the 5th gen 4Runners, helping to cut costs and add options.

Remember we're talking Toyota's here, not Land Rover or BMW. Toyota's aren't even broken in until you have 100k miles on the clock! Of course lower miles is always preferred but don't pass up a 2014 or whatever because it has an extra 20k or 30k miles on it if it has the color, options, overall condition and price point you want.

My wife and I had our own 100 series Landcruisers (both were 1998's). We finally upgraded last year to my 2013 GX and my wife really wanted a red Tacoma crewcab for surfing. When we got rid of our LC's, mine had 255,000 miles and my wife's LC had 285,000 miles. Both of them we would have no problem driving cross country as they were. The reason for moving on was NOT mechanical, but physical condition. The leather in my wife's was trashed from constant salt water swim suits and wet suits. Mine, I had a rust hole in the upper driver's window that would leak when it rained hard. And on both the clear coat was completely burnt off and the paint was not looking good. So in short, is was all cosmetic, not mechanical.

Here's the link to most of the build threads including mine: 150-Series Toyotas
Here you can get a good idea of various mild to wild (wild being a relative term, no GX rock crawlers... yet).
A 460 and a Taco eh? I have (had) a lifted GX470 for my daily driver but wife liked it so much she kinda stole it from me. I have an 80 series in the garage and an old Prius that I toggle back and forth between. I'm likely going to sell both the 80 and Prius and move into something newer. Considering either a 460 or a Taco! So since you have both, which one do you like more?

A 460 and a Taco eh? I have (had) a lifted GX470 for my daily driver but wife liked it so much she kinda stole it from me. I have an 80 series in the garage and an old Prius that I toggle back and forth between. I'm likely going to sell both the 80 and Prius and move into something newer. Considering either a 460 or a Taco! So since you have both, which one do you like more?
Two very different purposes for each rig. My wife's Taco is her daily driver but used primarily for surfing, paddle boarding, local skiing and of course the odd job that needs a pickup.
The GX is my daily driver but primarily our road tirp, travel, camping and overland vehicle.
For function, the Taco, but hands down, the GX is the only way to go for travel!
While I was furloughed for a few weeks during the beginning of this whole COVID-19 thing, my wife and I loaded up the GX and went on a "lobster hunt". If you notice below in my little photo, I'm from San Clemente, probably south and west of your Dante's Inferno location. Anyways, our lobster hunt was to travel to Main looking for a lobster dinner!
We did 6,800 miles in 9 days. One day alone we traveled over 1,000 miles! I don't think there are many other vehicles one could do that in.
My wife and I both LOVE our GX and it was incredible on that trip. Smooth, quiet (for having BFG M/T's), comfortable, yada, yada, yada!
If it wasn't for having the Roof Top Tent, we could put surfboards, paddle boards, skis, etc. on the GX rack and not absolutely need a truck. Although I am thinking about adding a rack to the top of the RTT, even though iKamper doesn't recommend it, it would only be for light loads like I mentioned above.
One last thought, if you have the room, KEEP the 80 series, indefinitely! That will only increase in value and they are awesome off-roaders, albeit a little wanting for more power as an overlander and long travels.

I would still do a 5th Gen T4R but I wouldn’t go cheap and would go with Fox or icon external reservoir shocks from the start.
I would skip getting KDSS, but at the time I had no choice it was the only trail I could find way back in 2013.
I would definitely go for a long travel without KDSS.
I would get the proper wheel with offset so I wouldn’t have to use spacers to keep my tires from rubbing the front UCAs.
I’d probably get all the armor and s*** put on it before the lift so I could adjust the height properly for sag. Right now I’m only running upgraded sliders and don’t want to redo the suspension for bumpers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom