Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did i miss this...

Dude, you even stopped by to say hi at one point! I remember you! I think you came by before we got anything set up.

Let me know what you're interested in. I'll hook ya up.

Whats nice is that HAM radios can tune into the higher frequencies of GMRS radios. Thats what we ended up doing on our final runs. I was happy to turn the CB off.
Just do what I did, order your HAM radio from Gigaparts and check the “Marscap” modification on checkout for an extra $20-$30 and they will modify the amateur radio so it will transmit out of band. You can then do HAM, GMRS, FRS and other frequencies for transmit. Is this illegal? Yep, but so is speeding, purchasing a Baoefang radio and using it out of band etc.

Just do what I did, order your HAM radio from Gigaparts and check the “Marscap” modification on checkout for an extra $20-$30 and they will modify the amateur radio so it will transmit out of band. You can then do HAM, GMRS, FRS and other frequencies for transmit. Is this illegal? Yep, but so is speeding, purchasing a Baoefang radio and using it out of band etc.

^^^^

So you actively condone and promote these illegal activities? Even IF common...it is wrong.

Last edited:
^^ C’mon really??

Yes....'really'. Where do you draw the line? There isn't any gray area here for right and wrong. Let alone suggesting it to others.

It reeks of the It's OK as long as you don't get caught notion.

@flintknapper - just giving options so everyone is aware. MARS is the Military Affiliate Radio Service, so for many this modification is not illegal. It’s just how you go about using it. Your Land Cruiser goes faster than 65? I assume you never break the speed limit?

@flintknapper - just giving options so everyone is aware. MARS is the Military Affiliate Radio Service, so for many this modification is not illegal. It’s just how you go about using it. Your Land Cruiser goes faster than 65? I assume you never break the speed limit?

For anyone actively affiliated with either MARS or CAP it is not illegal to have a radio capable of transmitting out of band, nor is it illegal to have a radio that only receives. But your post did not place any such restrictions on that. Rather...you seem to be comparing it to speeding, seeking to characterize it as commonplace, innocuous. And FCC laws are not 'optional'.

Some speed limits in my State are 85mph in places, but regardless what they are...I always endeavor to abide by them. I can honestly say that in my 50 years of driving...I have received ONE (well deserved) speeding ticket. And in all that time I have never suggested or promoted it as something others should do.

Hit this mark the weekend after HIH9!!
20190805_064105.jpg

The only thing keeping people from polluting up the HAM and GMRS bands are the licenses. If everyone cheats, the licenses are meaningless. No one would get a driver's license if they were not worried about ever having to show their license to a cop.

Last edited:
Thanks for this as I recently purchasd for the first time gmrs & totally forgot to license up. I'm on it.

Thank You Sir. And remember all of your immediate family members can piggyback on your control license and call sign, no need for them to be individually licensed.

Good job.

Some great discussions on here regarding HAM, CB and GMRS. The one and only reason I studied for and obtained my ham radio licence was for communication on the trail. GMRS wasn't even a thing back then. Ham radio and the entire hobby surrounding it honestly doesn't interest me one bit beyond the basic stuff that I use it for. I doubt I'll ever have a home unit or an antenna on my house.

I've worked with the folks from Midland though some mutual interests and they had offered to attend HIH8 and bring a handful of GMRS radios last year, but we didn't think we we ready (as an event) to require the purchase and licence to operate them. I spoke with my Midland contacts at this year's Outdoor Retailer Show in Denver and Chris and I decided to just stick with CB for HIH9 as well. Midland is pushing for us to be a GMRS event.

We'll look into it one more time for HIHX. I'll work with Midland to get a huge group buy on GMRS radios and see what kind of deal we can get. I'm guessing we'd be one of the first large-scale events to run GMRS exclusively. Everyone would be on their own for licensing though.

Chris and I are putting together another HIH survey. Please look for that in your email in a few weeks. Radio communication will obviously be in there. As always, we strive to make this event better each year.

Some great discussions on here regarding HAM, CB and GMRS. The one and only reason I studied for and obtained my ham radio licence was for communication on the trail. GMRS wasn't even a thing back then. Ham radio and the entire hobby surrounding it honestly doesn't interest me one bit beyond the basic stuff that I use it for. I doubt I'll ever have a home unit or an antenna on my house.

I've worked with the folks from Midland though some mutual interests and they had offered to attend HIH8 and bring a handful of GMRS radios last year, but we didn't think we we ready (as an event) to require the purchase and licence to operate them. I spoke with my Midland contacts at this year's Outdoor Retailer Show in Denver and Chris and I decided to just stick with CB for HIH9 as well. Midland is pushing for us to be a GMRS event.

We'll look into it one more time for HIHX. I'll work with Midland to get a huge group buy on GMRS radios and see what kind of deal we can get. I'm guessing we'd be one of the first large-scale events to run GMRS exclusively. Everyone would be on their own for licensing though.

Chris and I are putting together another HIH survey. Please look for that in your email in a few weeks. Radio communication will obviously be in there. As always, we strive to make this event better each year.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Please!!!!

I used a Rugged Radios handheld GMRS prototype on the Overland Adventure. They were a sponsor for that event. They were much clearer than the Cobra CB I'm running. I've got nothing bad to say about them! Except that these ones looked a lot like a baofeng...

Stuff like this is why you and @bluecruiser are the cool kids! One more thing that sucks about CB:
Even someone with a perfectly tuned antenna, great radio and nice powered mic can be right next someone else with the same setup and not be able hear each other because of the radio wavelengths. Or someone can a have perfectly tuned system and not a good mic, they are coming though nice but you can’t understand anything because one tiny thing isn’t running correctly. Too many variables can happen with CB. GMRS is just way simpler with less things that can mess up.

Imagine if Midland had a chance to give a sweet deal and have 100+ trucks/people snag a radio from them! May not be thousands, but it’s a good chunk of people!

I've got a ham license and a mobile unit installed in my truck. It's great. I've mentioned that before. I have no interest in using my ham radio outside of my truck. CB has its drawbacks quality wise. I understand using CB for this event because there's little entry cost past some minimal equipment.

Given that, I personally would not invest money in a GMRS license and an additional radio. If the event switches to that, I'll be one of those guys in the middle of the pack hoping someone is transmitting on ham and just following the guy in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom