Events/Trails Coyote Flats / Eastern Sierras August 8th - 12th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. So that is actually quite a ways west of us. It is across a very large valley and back up into the mountains. In fact if we go to green lake we will see the east facing side of that range. Not sure how that will impact our bug situation. Our nights will be colder and the weather likely drier on the plateau which usually means less bugs.

On the subject of weather, I suggest using the lowest low you find for gauging how cold it will get. Low Temps around Funnel Lake are in the high 30s and humidity is 5% right now so bring chap stick.

Last edited:
You definitely need to be modified to get through the route. Stock vehicle will not make it at all. Rear locker is needed as well (both front and rear even better) as open diffs will not cut it on this trail unless you want to slide off the trail and roll your vehicle.

Once I get sliders on my Tacoma I will go back and do the route. I have 34" tires, rear locker, and king suspension on my Tacoma.
is this trail description of needing lockers from the BISHOP side, or the big pine side?
from my research i thought the route from bishop was tame enough for stock 4wd, and the other was the gnarly one...
i plan to be up there wednesday for a few days...unless lockers ARE needed from bishop!
thx, dave

is this trail description of needing lockers from the BISHOP side, or the big pine side?
from my research i thought the route from bishop was tame enough for stock 4wd, and the other was the gnarly one...
i plan to be up there wednesday for a few days...unless lockers ARE needed from bishop!
thx, dave

That description is for the south end of the loop from Big Pine. The Bishop side is no problem for a stock 4X4. For reference, we had a stock GX470 up there last year and my wife will taking our stock (other than better tires) 4WD Suburban up there this year.

You will want to use low range for the initial climb. Once you are up in the plateau 4 high is fine, it's just wide open 2 track. If you do decide to wheel into Funnel Lake, you will find some challenge but with a little spotting and line picking should make it fine.

If you check the video I posted they show both sides and attempt the Big Pine side going down but turned back. They did the run back in June so by now the trail is more worn down and more passable.

Frank

For logistical purposes would everyone mind posting up when you plan to leave? I plan to leave early Thursday, around 5AM (sometimes wishful thinking on my part) in an attempt to avoid traffic on I15. That would put me in Bishop around noon including stops.

Frank

i'm likely leaving around 3-4am friday morning, unless i can pull a rabbit outta my hat and get thursday and friday off.

9 am on Friday.

I'm heading up to the area early Weds, then up to Coyote Flat Friday around Noon, should get to campsite between 1 and 2PM Friday. Have to head home Sunday.

That description is for the south end of the loop from Big Pine. The Bishop side is no problem for a stock 4X4. For reference, we had a stock GX470 up there last year and my wife will taking our stock (other than better tires) 4WD Suburban up there this year.

You will want to use low range for the initial climb. Once you are up in the plateau 4 high is fine, it's just wide open 2 track. If you do decide to wheel into Funnel Lake, you will find some challenge but with a little spotting and line picking should make it fine.

If you check the video I posted they show both sides and attempt the Big Pine side going down but turned back. They did the run back in June so by now the trail is more worn down and more passable.

Frank
thanks for confirming frank
maybe we'll bump into each other up there
dave

Sounds good!

If whoever has the B&T banner brings it to the meeting tomorrow I will take it up with me Thursday to help all find the camp site.

@justsendit

think you need to change your Mud handle... :cool:
I know, when I signed up I was on my way to my first meeting and was rushing through it and ended up with well you know know. Maybe an admin can hook me up with access to re handle?

It looks like we should awesome weather up there this weekend. Days in the 70's nights in the low 40's high 30's. No rain in sight.

It looks like we should awesome weather up there this weekend. Days in the 70's nights in the low 40's high 30's. No rain in sight.
Oh nice, I'm actually looking forward to being cold. This heat is for the 🐦 🐦

We are hitting a "cold spell". Bishop which is usually in the low 100's will be in the low 90's.

I tell ya, if we get a thunder storm Thursday to wet down the dust a bit and sunny the rest of the weekend that will be epic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom