Fuel Tank Assembly Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jcb3.com
So my 80 has a massive dose of rust in the fuel tank.

I looked up the tank from Toyota and its $667 for part #77001-69036

Does that include the pump/pickup/fuel level sensor and all? or is that just for the bare tank?

I got a rough quote for $250ish for my local radiator guy to boil off the rust and coat it. However, my pump and the bracketry associated with it has a fair bit of rust as well. Online looks like another $90ish for the bracket, $280 for a pump... you get the idea. If the part number above does include the whole assembly, I might be better off buying it all new.

If it does not include the whole assembly, I will have to repair the individual pieces, so what do I paint / coat these parts in for rust prevention?

Thanks!

You can get pump from rock auto for 115 or so, that is denso. Or could find used tank pretty easy depending on where your at. I’d prob just do new oem first one went 20 plus years, but one more and be done

Or upgrade to longrange tank from cruiser brothers. spend money improving not just maintaining

I bought a used tank from @slow95z excellent service and parts!

I'm sure its just the tank.

I looked up the tank from Toyota and its $667 for part #77001-69036

Does that include the pump/pickup/fuel level sensor and all? or is that just for the bare tank?

no, that is bare tank only. you would need to also price out sender, filler tube on the tank, gaskets, bolts for filler and sender as well as the banjo bolt and gasket for the fuel line. if I remember the filler tube and appropriate gaskets and bolts were pretty cheep, maybe around 100 or so but I think it was closer to 60

my tank rusted through about 2 years ago and I just had the tank repaired. I cleaned off as much exterior rust as possible, primed, painted and undercoated the tank. internally you could use something like this Kreem | Fuel Tank Liner, but mine looked clean so I just left it alone

Buy a used tank from @cruiserjunktion he's over on your side of the states.

I sold my entire fuel tank / pump / sender for cheap. It's not a common part to sell so people have them

Awesome! Thanks for all the replies guys! I would love to get the long range tank, but right now my wife's 100 get the priority on all the big money. My poor old 80 will have to wait for upgrades. slow95z, PM coming!

I was thinking about that, but I was afraid I would end up with another problem tank. From what my radiator guy said, he gets a fair amount of 80 tanks in.
Hmm well junkyards drain them on arrival. If you find one local just got the junkyard and pull the fuel pump out and look inside.

I have one but you probably don't want to pay shipping from Colorado

Big Shout Out and Thanks to @slow95z for seriously awesome transaction!

That tank has exceeded my expectations! Now its on to fix more broken things on that old 80!

It was great to meet and you wife. LOVED your shop! Cant wait to see what she does with the white one!

Didn’t mean to bring back an old thread but here’s what my pump/sender assembly looked today after pulling it out.

Looks like I’m pricing out all new tank components this tomorrow..

CC255AC3-4EC4-4EC5-971B-FA0D6C3D489D.jpeg

D3C9A615-C91B-423C-907F-C71079309157.jpeg

B8177F54-BC3C-4758-955C-B3FFED12ADC4.jpeg

I’m already on it! The tank and components I’m dealing with are nasty!

Replacing it all.

I just hope you don;t decide to try to coat the interior of the tank. It NEVER works out.

i now have a few tanks back in stock. some bare tanks, some with sending units.

Might want to take a look at the filler neck if people are finding rusty tanks, especially those with rust on the exterior.

Here is how I dealt with mine. There wasn't a lot of search info to be had regarding how to actually lift the body off the frame enough to sneak the filler neck in in one piece, but I just started doing it and figured it out along the way.

If I had the same problem that I had and what some of you are discussing, I would just replace all of it again and I would use the same methods I used in the thread, but I would have skipped trying to get the original coating on the used tank I bought off by using strippers and I would have went straight to the wire wheel and then blasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom