Best hard shell RTT for rainy conditions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depends on the environment.
The old saying, “Don’t let fear and common sense hold you back!”
Just kidding actually, just do what you are comfortable with. Sounds like fun.
I presume there’s a bottle of warmth in there too?

So after a night in "quiet rainy" conditions I can tell the following about the Alu-Cab Expedition 3:

It did withstand wind like a rock, even the whole vehicle was shaking. Don't expect to sleep through a storm, but it is safe to say one stays dry. I had the rear end facing towards the wind, I guess worst orientation one can do.

For getting out of the RTT I recommend a little towel to dry the entrance material upon opening, as the doors open top down.

For those concerned about lightning and camping in a RTT ... in my situation I was by far not the tallest structure in the area.

Nevertheless:

I have had quieter nights :cool:

Maggiolina all the way I do not think you can go wrong with any of them.
I have had an older Adventure model and now an Extreme model. They are great, strong and well built. The adventure model was well over 10 years old when I got it and all I did was replace the Mattress (had one custom made with a slip cover for $180) and give it coat of Marine paint.
My Extreme was also used, no idea how old but it is fine with a new mattress.

I prefer the crank system over the shock type as they have less change of failure.

I talked to Autohome USA after seeing the "wings" on the Italian site and they said they are bringing them in this year Picking up a set for sure.

A few other options for OP to consider:

- Eezi-Awn Stealth
- Bundutec
- Semi-hardshell automatic from FreeSpiritRecreation
- GoFastCampers RTT
- This guy's custom option: Tired of all the "huge" RTT's. So I made my own.

I'm not endorsing/recommending anything, just providing options to be aware of.

Add some complexity, I am almost 6’4”

I am looking at his as well but not available until at least September.

The others I haven’t entirely rules out are the Camp King (very heavy), the iKamper with the awning, and somewhat the Alu-Cab even though it is running far behind the others in my book.

My other concern is having two Rottweilers and keeping them safe and dry. That is why the iKamper appeals even though I don’t care for the actual tent portion too much. Thin mattress, would need a topper or another pad, which would require removal when packing up.

Dogs in a RTT sounds like a bad idea especially large ones. Find a place in the vehicle for them to sleep or outside.

+1.

Have a GSD, and would never consider bringing her into a RTT. She's got plenty of room, comfort and security in the car (and in the truck before).

Oh, no doubt. I wouldn’t even try to bring them up there. I may end up making a 2nd row platform or just bringing a separate ground tent for them.

I've been in my Alu-cab gen 3 in a snow and sleet storm with 35mph gusts. Started the night facing into the wind but it changed direction completely when the storm hit. Other than the zippers jangling, I had no real complaints. I've made upgrades since to deal with mattress and zippers. Very happy with my tent.

When I climbed out of the tent at 5 am, I was the only one with a RTT that was able to stow it immediately. All I did was brush the snow off the edges and latched it shut.

I've been in my Alu-cab gen 3 in a snow and sleet storm with 35mph gusts. Started the night facing into the wind but it changed direction completely when the storm hit. Other than the zippers jangling

What did you do against jangling zippers? I used some nylon threads...

Awesome, can you send me a set of 24 to switzerland? ;)

Awesome, can you send me a set of 24 to switzerland? ;)

Honestly, this was one of the better mods on my tent. I was hit with high winds in Colorado last week. Not a sound 😁

I can imagine ... we could not fall asleep easily around the biskaya last week because of this. Added some cord the next day. Other than that, tent closes in a minute with wind and rain ... i just opened it at the next pit stop at a gas station, dried it a bit with a towel and closed again.

I think some other guys have used adhesive heat shrink tubing on the pulls. I liked the cord better. Easy to see and they're reflective. 2mm glowire cord from Lawson Equipment and cord clips from Amazon.

Ive had and used ahrd a maggionlina, a roofnest a CVT and an alu cab epd 3 best out of all easiest to use open and close and best in bad weather is alu cab. heres a review of 5 really good RTT enjoy. the maggiolina in my opinion was the biggest heaviest and hardest to open and close.

I bougt a used Autohome Columbus 6 years ago, from a old couple of French guys who bought it in 2004 and have traveled through Africa, South and North America.

This tent is awesome. Some cracks appear on the shell but it is not lessen the integrity or the waterproofing of the shell. The elastics made to retain the fabric panel are now lousse... obviously. The net inside, however, remains effective

I had once to spray waterproofing stuff on the fabric but mainly to seal the seams. I also had to change the maltress for hygiene reasons... One lock of the ladder are broken but the ladder itself still strong.

I used this RTT on the beach under a thuderstorm with wind nearly 45 knots and aside of not be able to sleep... we stay dry inside.

My tent show some sign of aged but clearly, before me, this tent were used probably more than a thousand nights. It stay outside all year long, either on my truck or on easel, under sun or snow and all I have to say, it still 100% fonctionnal.

22860123_10155240711934037_7513872427134061180_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom