2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YES!!! This was my main concern so far - the PX3 in the current crop of units is the exact same CPU architecture, with the same clock speed as the Samsung Galaxy SIII from all the way back in 2012.
If this is really PX6 it could be* incredibly more responsive.

* Unless the Chinese assembled a really shoddy Android image for it, of course.

I have a 06 and my problem was the fader in the audio.
When i set the sound left or right is OK, in front and in the middle sound is in 4 speakers, but when i fade to rear they become quiet till mute.
From 0 to the half volume speakers sounds OK but louder it sounds awful. May be front and rears speakers wires are together?
Subwoofer sound, is harder and deeper than with OEM unit.
OEM Camera doesn't works. Seller said that this unit can't support it.
Clima plug and play
Anyone with these problems fixed?
Thankyou

When i set the sound left or right is OK, in front and in the middle sound is in 4 speakers, but when i fade to rear they become quiet till mute.
From 0 to the half volume speakers sounds OK but louder it sounds awful. May be front and rears speakers wires are together?
Clima plug and play
Thankyou

Speakers sound like a problem with wiring, or the amp if not tuned correctly. Deff not normal.

OEM camera is not compatible and stated as such, without significant re-wiring. I ran an aftermarket camera to the unit and all is well.

Clima plug and play
Thankyou

I would say this has to do with the factory amp, but not sure how the amp would be getting power.

I was FINALLY able to spend some time and install the new Tesla style headunit in the Cruiser. Please let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm also happy to shoot video of any of the functions of the screen if you want me detail.

Overall, I'm happy with this headunit thus far. Here are my thoughts after using it for about 3 weeks or so.

It functions quite well. It's relatively responsive and has good sound quality.

One thing I noticed is that if I WiFi hotspot off my phone, the bluetooth connectivity suffers (not sure if it's proximity of antennas, bandwidth limitation, etc) - so much so that I have to mute the music playing from my phone if I need WiFi on the unit.

A couple of quirks (IMO):
  • The "next track" and "previous track" buttons are the steering wheel are backwards - the down arrow goes to the next track and the up arrow starts the current track over or plays the previous track.
  • Bluetooth doesn't automatically start playing when you restart the vehicle - even if the screen was just in "sleep mode" (not a full reboot)
  • It's really bright even at lowest setting. At night I just sleep the screen (there's a little icon for this on the top left of the screen).
  • I don't think you can change the elevation from meters to feet on the home screen
  • The compass is ALWAYS wrong - usually about 180 degrees off
Here's a few tidbits of info regarding my specific install before we go too deep.

The unit comes with two harnesses. Neither one worked for me. No audio and no HVAC control. I emailed with Stefan from Navihua and he was super eager to help. I took some pictures of the connectors, sent them to him and I had a new harness in the mail a week later. The HVAC was now working (PRAISE! It's been really hot in Denver!)

My investigation of the audio issue let me to find that there was no power reaching the factory, JBL amplifier. Instead of waiting for another harness to fix the audio, I decided to chop mine up and make it work myself. More on that later.

HERE. WE. GO!

BEFORE
View attachment 2027404

AFTER
View attachment 2027406

This is everything that came in the box. They sent two harnesses and all the CAN-BUS stuff that you'll need.
View attachment 2027393

There are a few things that I didn't take photos of along the way. Here's some detail:
  • I put the GPS antenna on top of the instrument cluster and tucked the extra wire next to the vent. It works well and has good reception there.
  • I ran the two USB ports to the glove box.
  • I also removed the factory NAV DVD player from under the drivers seat.
  • If you have factory NAV, you'll probably need to cut some wires down on the DVD player to get the front speaker to work. After cutting, join them together. LMK if you have this problem and I can take my seat out or try and get some photos.

To remove the old headunit, use a nylon spudger or equivalent to remove the two side ducts/panels - no screws, just plastic snaps. Disconnect the connectors and put them out of the way. Remove the four screws that secure the entire center section and pull it out.
View attachment 2027413 View attachment 2027414

NEXT POST
What wires did you cut on the navigation to get the front left speaker working?

What wires did you cut on the navigation to get the front left speaker working?

Here's a photo from someone else that helped me with the install along the way. I forgot to take a picture of this part. However, my wires were a different color than these, but still in the same pins on my vehicle.

61250700_294891274796944_2752968097072676864_n.jpg

61246163_671692769919157_2322373990443646976_n.jpg

Mistered 123, thanks to you I have this up and running . I had to splice wires to get sound. Thank you!! for your detailed pics and write up.
It was a long frustrating journey, and the seller was for the most part unresponsive. These radios (at least for the 2003) are not plug and play.

The sound quality is an upgrade from stock, and the added dongle for apple air play is great.

I am chasing a buzz in the audio. I grounded the speakers to the truck, but still have a slight buzz.

I may just bring it to an audio shop and get a new amplifier. and have them sort out the buzz The truck is after all 16 years old.

Mistered 123, thanks to you I have this up and running . I had to splice wires to get sound. Thank you!! for your detailed pics and write up.
It was a long frustrating journey, and the seller was for the most part unresponsive. These radios (at least for the 2003) are not plug and play.

The sound quality is an upgrade from stock, and the added dongle for apple air play is great.

I am chasing a buzz in the audio. I grounded the speakers to the truck, but still have a slight buzz.

I may just bring it to an audio shop and get a new amplifier. and have them sort out the buzz The truck is after all 16 years old.

Glad to hear the guide was helpful!

As for the buzz - I have a slight one as well. It is probably a ground loop. The factory amp and the new headunit are not grounded to the chassis at the same location. It should be a relatively easy fix - run a ground wire from the amp to the headunit and splice it in. But, if you are going to upgrade your amp anyway, the audio shop will probably do this for you. Good luck!

Clima plug and play
Thankyou

Here's what I've figured out re: sound quality. Try going into the Console and turning the factory amp up to at least 38; I have mine at 44 right now. With the amp volume set there, I'm getting great sound quality up to about 21 or 22 on the head unit -- that seems to be the limits of its output before distortion kicks in.

I've just spent 22 hours on the road over two days, driving from Atlanta to Boulder, CO with a 6x12 U-haul trailer packed to the gills behind me (11.3 MPG over the 1450 miles, if you were wondering). I had LOTS of time to tinker with settings on this thing. But I'm still trying to figure out why 3 of the 4 speakers turn off after a seemingly random period of time.

@mistered123: what is the purpose of splicing the two DVD/NAV wires together? I'm all for trying it, but would like to understand why I'm doing it before I dive in. My system sounds perfect for the first few minutes after turning it on -- could be one minute, could be 20, but eventually all speakers stop playing except for the left-front set. Is this the same symptom you were addressing when you spliced yours?

Anyone install the PX6 version yet?
I have one on the way from China to replace the Quad Core/2GB unit I have now -- they agreed to take the first unit back because of the issues I've been having with speakers cutting off, and they're sending me the Hex Core/4GB unit for an additional $100 plus shipping.

Hopefully between that and the NAV/DVD splicing voodoo that mistered123 recommended, I'll have a fully operational system within the next couple of weeks. Definitely mixed reviews on my current unit -- the processor is a dog, boot-up time is annoying, and 2GB of RAM is just not enough to run today's apps. Also, the built-in music player doesn't read tags, so I don't see any way of sorting the 200 GB of music on my hard drive, and it won't allow me to install Poweramp, which is the best music player for in-car Android systems. Fingers crossed that the new unit has an upgraded music player app to go along with the Android 8.1 OS, or will at least allow more options for side-loading.

I have one on the way from China to replace the Quad Core/2GB unit I have now -- they agreed to take the first unit back because of the issues I've been having with speakers cutting off, and they're sending me the Hex Core/4GB unit for an additional $100 plus shipping.

Hopefully between that and the NAV/DVD splicing voodoo that mistered123 recommended, I'll have a fully operational system within the next couple of weeks. Definitely mixed reviews on my current unit -- the processor is a dog, boot-up time is annoying, and 2GB of RAM is just not enough to run today's apps. Also, the built-in music player doesn't read tags, so I don't see any way of sorting the 200 GB of music on my hard drive, and it won't allow me to install Poweramp, which is the best music player for in-car Android systems. Fingers crossed that the new unit has an upgraded music player app to go along with the Android 8.1 OS, or will at least allow more options for side-loading.

On my 2003, I have not had to alter the wires on the nav system. Radio works fine out of all 5 speakers.

The boot up time is annoying.(25sec) I have a VERY slight hum. Tried to ground to the same place as the stock amplifier, no help. Turns out these trucks with stock amp have a floating ground. Only way to eliminate hum is to pull the stock amplifier and replace or bypass. You never hear the buzz over roadnoise, so I will leave it.

I have a dongle for Apple car play-works great. Playing back texts through apple car play is a bit garbled( a known issue with CarPlay)- regular turn by turn navigation voice prompts through apple maps is clear.

I find the radio more responsive than I thought it would be. It sounds much better than stock to my ears. Bluetooth works perfect.

I have no Idea how to get the music from USB onto the unit. I know the USB works because my apple car play dongle is connected to the usb connector and it works fine. When I connect a USB drive to the other USB connector the usb drive lights up-but I can't figure out how to get the radio to recognize the drive and move the music from the USB drive to the radio. Must be something simple. I am an apple guy, and have never used the Android OS

I hope it is a dramatic improvement and works the way it should.
Keep us posted as I would really like to buy one. If they work.

On my 2003, I have not had to alter the wires on the nav system. Radio works fine out of all 5 speakers.

The boot up time is annoying.(25sec) I have a VERY slight hum. Tried to ground to the same place as the stock amplifier, no help. Turns out these trucks with stock amp have a floating ground. Only way to eliminate hum is to pull the stock amplifier and replace or bypass. You never hear the buzz over roadnoise, so I will leave it.

I have a dongle for Apple car play-works great. Playing back texts through apple car play is a bit garbled( a known issue with CarPlay)- regular turn by turn navigation voice prompts through apple maps is clear.

I find the radio more responsive than I thought it would be. It sounds much better than stock to my ears. Bluetooth works perfect.

I have no Idea how to get the music from USB onto the unit. I know the USB works because my apple car play dongle is connected to the usb connector and it works fine. When I connect a USB drive to the other USB connector the usb drive lights up-but I can't figure out how to get the radio to recognize the drive and move the music from the USB drive to the radio. Must be something simple. I am an apple guy, and have never used the Android OS
Try going into the File Manager app on the radio. There is a menu button on the left side that will allow you to select the USB source instead of the default "SD card" source. If you're still having problems, I will try to take a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.

@mistered123: what is the purpose of splicing the two DVD/NAV wires together? I'm all for trying it, but would like to understand why I'm doing it before I dive in. My system sounds perfect for the first few minutes after turning it on -- could be one minute, could be 20, but eventually all speakers stop playing except for the left-front set. Is this the same symptom you were addressing when you spliced yours?

I actually just did it as part of the install due to a recommendation by someone else that had already installed several of the units. He said it needed to be done for the driver door speaker to work correctly. Not sure if that's true or not since I never tried the unit without splicing the wires.

So bizarre that my driver's door speaker is the only one that works consistently, but others can't get it to work at all. I'm going to see whether the new unit gives me the same problem, and if it does, I'll start splicing. Thanks for the good info.

Anyone install the PX6 version yet?
Just got one delivered today. May try initial install this weekend. Was a little leery on the specs for the PX6. Hopefully its really Android 8.1 and 4G RAM and 64G ROM. As long as I can get it working I’m ok being a guiney pig.

The ZF-1301S is the quad core. This one is marked ZF-1301X. We will see.

ED3AEE53-E8A0-43CA-915E-EAA0F4D1A01D.jpeg

E955DB6E-A9FE-4A23-9F32-4B2930A92171.jpeg

ABC6B801-47F5-4121-BFCE-6FBA72452BF3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom