Builds “Big City”, 1981 FJ45 LPB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's a 105 mod?
Is there a light for the license plate? Pic please.

It's an awesome looking truck and let us know if you get to MT. It might be worth a drive down to take a look see.

45Kevin,

Nolan answered the 105 upgrade on 80 box question. I personally think it makes a big difference based on comps to my 60 and 40. But yes I agree, don’t “need” it with the 33’s and where this will spend the majority of its time.

Here is plate mount and light. Seems to be one of the rear 40 mounts you can still find.

I have spent some time in Calgary. Buddy has a fly shop in Fernie and have fished a ton of the spring creeks between there and your home town. Would really like to spend a week chasing Partridge near you.

Marc

21BEAE41-70E7-4870-B39E-8697F658F9F8.jpeg

personally I think the 60 idle up looks 1000% better even if not perfectly shiny like the rest!

didnt want to start by saying it, but the other way looked a bit like a hack to me, with additional clutter and a cobbled together linkage

to me this is SO much better!

personally I think the 60 idle up looks 1000% better even if not perfectly shiny like the rest!

didnt want to start by saying it, but the other way looked a bit like a hack to me, with additional clutter and a cobbled together linkage

to me this is SO much better!

It does!

Beautiful truck Marc. Congrats on a solid half century gift for yourself. :clap:

Drive fast and take chances now!

Thanks Onur, and thank you for your help in the past on tracking down parts. I may drive it from Houston to CO in early October. Don’t know if backside can take it...

May trailer with the 200.

Hope all is well for you, I understand it is.

Marc

19C6BABE-B18D-4908-BFA5-084DD67C84EE.jpeg

Thanks Onur, and thank you for your help in the past on tracking down parts. I may drive it from Houston to CO in early October. Don’t know if backside can take it...

May trailer with the 200.

Hope all is well for you, I understand it is.

Marc

Drive it.

Ok. I will need to figure out some sort of mounting system for bed. Floor is coated but I need to keep items contained like cooler, recovery and tent and travel items. I will search the 45 forum but any ideas or pics? I could probably use the small bolts for inspection plates somehow. Don’t want to put to many holes in bed. Maybe use those and two holes mid bed. Thought is something like 40 seat mount frame but modified.

They would just make me not want to drive it if I had to take that off every time. Is it getting put outside?

No, but high traffic in garage with 12 and 14 year old boys. Just have it for longer term storage periods. Lacrosse sticks and baseball bags/soon school backpacks over the shoulders makes me nervous.

Well, now that baseball is over, time to let the adventures begin.

Big City after the Merle Haggard song, man I cant wait to let the city go and end up n the middle of Montana.

Yes, I had the truck built. Turned 50 this year and wanted a truck that wasn’t a project, one I could just enjoy. I have three others, only one real project, but wanted to stay as much original as possible. Spent a year looking at builders, did not see a couple of them, but choose FJCo and couldn’t be more pleased. Will explain the differences if asked. Here is what I have.

1981 FJ45 LPB, Cadet Blue (med blue originally), completely rebuilt 2F, H55 and TC, both new. 80 box with the 105 shaft upgrade. 33’s on an OME lift, 3.70’s for the road right now and Vintage Air. There is some really cool engineering on this truck to keep it as Toyota as possible.

It was built to drive and enjoy. Hope to keep this thread up to date with pictures and stories of the truck.

Marc

View attachment 2020173
View attachment 2020175
View attachment 2020174

View attachment 2020172

View attachment 2020176
erics

Good catch. Yes you are correct. Wish on the build was to use as much new, but keep it Toyota. I have a few carbs so yesterday I went back to a 60 idle up diaphragm. This worked well, I like the more period correct better, although it looks it’s age and a little out of place.

View attachment 2022933

Cadet Blue always looks darker in real pics (and I love that) than it does on the paint samples. I know it changes a bit depending on the light but I am hesitant to paint my 2007 FJ cadet blue. I don't want it to look like this, I want it to look like yours or like this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom