Flame this! Dana44 front Dana 60 rear (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright flame on,

Since we have no real gearing and the land cruiser is just about as heavy as any fully built JKU, which is the land cruiser 80’s nemesis......

What if, budget build, go with a front full width dana44 (okay Dana60) 3 LINk and rear Dana 60 full width extended 4 link arms.

I know, ya da ya da the land cruisers axles are just as tough.... I just don’t want to run spacers on the stock axles to rockcrawl and drive 100’s of mile to the trails.

Having a full width taco now compared to a stock yota axles 1st gen 4runner both duel stick I can really tell the difference with the stability of a full width.

So I’d run....
3.11 tcase gears
10% under drive
5.38’s or 5.86’s depending on tire 40’s most likely
3 link front stretched 3-inches
4 link extended arm rear
With a turbo on yes a OG 1fz for a cherry on top. Lol

JUST HELP ME FROM SELLING MY LANDCRUISER TO BUY A

Last edited:
An 80 is not what I'd think to use for a hardcore wheeler, but hey if you already have it and don't care about body damage...

Have you seen this thread?
Everything you are asking about in a 40 page thread here on mud.
Help with 1 ton axle choice for fzj80 build

img_4223-jpg.411281

img_4211-jpg.411280

Or for something completely different:

Awhile back on pirate4x4 a guy built an 80 series on Volvo portal axles on 38.5" boggers
I believe he used stock suspension, but that can obviously be changed. No idea if he still has it.
FJ80/Volvo Portal Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Land Cruiser

1575801d1419556251-1991-fj80-volvo-portal-axles-trade-image.jpg

Do you NEED 40's/3 link etc on the 80...or do you just WANT all that?

PS> there is no wrong answer.

Your better off modifying a 4runner for hard core trails. They are lighter and the body is not as wide. I personally think that if you are maxing out what the stock axles are capable on a 80 of its time to change vehicles or change wheeling style. Trying to make a school bus a hard core wheeler is kinda counterproductive.

I personally think that if you are maxing out what the stock axles are capable on a 80 of its time to change vehicles or change wheeling style. Trying to make a school bus a hard core wheeler is kinda counterproductive.

I know of at least one guy that would disagree with you.

GtdVLy9.jpg

nrjPIVe.jpg

qwD6Dhx.jpg

Super duty high pinion dana 60 from 2000's (05+ for bigger R&P), and 14B can be within budget from the junkers but takes work and money, thought the diff is on the wrong side, so then your looking at a dodge D60 front or modifying something, but that is better than the two axles mentioned.

I’d put a stock 9.5 rear against a stock 60 rear. You’re not gaining much if anything. If you bore out the spindles for bigger shafts... okay. Still not worth doing.

Dana 44 front doesn’t hold a candle to 80 8” front.

Waste of time and money.

60/70 60/14 or stay stock

Your better off modifying a 4runner for hard core trails. They are lighter and the body is not as wide. I personally think that if you are maxing out what the stock axles are capable on a 80 of its time to change vehicles or change wheeling style. Trying to make a school bus a hard core wheeler is kinda counterproductive.
@torfab might disagree with your assessment 😀

If building a 80 for harder core trails is what u find fun, no problem I'll watch. But it's a big investment of time and money. And a 80 series is a nice platform that can perform a lot of different duties. On the hardcore trails though the big body will get shredded pretty bad. A narrower bodied truck would fit down the trails better and probably be a fair bit lighter.

If building a 80 for harder core trails is what u find fun, no problem I'll watch. But it's a big investment of time and money. And a 80 series is a nice platform that can perform a lot of different duties. On the hardcore trails though the big body will get shredded pretty bad. A narrower bodied truck would fit down the trails better and probably be a fair bit lighter.
Well you're not wrong. It's all to degrees though. I wheel with some friends who starter with toyota trucks, links, stickies, etc... I can't do a lot of the harder stuff they do without turning my 80 into a raisin. I can still go some places though. But they complain that frame is limiting them. Want to build tube chassis buggies. But then those guys miss having proper cabs some times.

Well you're not wrong. It's all to degrees though. I wheel with some friends who starter with toyota trucks, links, stickies, etc... I can't do a lot of the harder stuff they do without turning my 80 into a raisin. I can still go some places though. But they complain that frame is limiting them. Want to build tube chassis buggies. But then those guys miss having proper cabs some times.
Everything is a compromise unless you go ground up custom. Even then you would face it to some degree.

Last edited:
Alright flame on,

Since we have no real gearing and the land cruiser is just about as heavy as any fully built JKU, which is the land cruiser 80’s nemesis......

What if, budget build, go with a front full width dana44 (okay Dana60) 3 LINk and rear Dana 60 full width extended 4 link arms.

I know, ya da ya da the land cruisers axles are just as tough.... I just don’t want to run spacers on the stock axles to rockcrawl and drive 100’s of mile to the trails.

Having a full width taco now compared to a stock yota axles 1st gen 4runner both duel stick I can really tell the difference with the stability of a full width.

So I’d run....
3.11 tcase gears
10% under drive
5.38’s or 5.86’s depending on tire 40’s most likely
3 link front stretched 3-inches
4 link extended arm rear
With a turbo on yes a OG 1fz for a cherry on top. Lol

JUST HELP ME FROM SELLING MY LANDCRUISER TO BUY A
Im not gonna flame but Ive crawled everything Ive driven thousands of miles too, kane creek hamburger hill, hells ouray chinamens no probs not even a little. on 7in lift with 37s and 4:88s

That was a good trip. Where you been?
JHC that looks like crap. Talk about redneck. Your priorities are highly suspect. Have you no shame? I mean, didn't they have any decent tape for that taillight? The color's off, and I'd bet there's adhesive issues. Embarrassing.

Dana axles will lead to a domestic/import battle in your 80 like the Pacific in WW2, the failpoint always being the headgasket.

And since you’re going whole hog, a D60 will eat your heater valve & fan clutch just to spite you.

But if I was a super-duper wheeler & not just a poser, I’d have that palleted set of D44/60’s up FS on my local CL in my driveway too ;)

So yeah, why the hell not? YOLO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom