Lux the HiLux Build; 1989 LN106 3L Diesel Double Cab 4x4 5speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after selling my 99 Runner built for Overlanding, for my dads 77 Celica, their was a hole in my heart, My wife felt it too. So we tried to fill it with a 91 FJ80, but the gas mileage was KILLER, and my wife hated the LC. While we were buying it, her GrandPa was place in the hospital and passed a few days later. So the LC had to go.

Adventure is out there, but adventure out of the back of a 13 avenger is not the same. But we didn't need a 4x4 or another car in general, and could use the money to help with student loans so we decided we would wait... but waiting is HARD...

After 10 month of drooling and waiting for the summer of 2020 when Student loans would be Paid off in full. A deal that we could not refuse popped up. A poorly advertised Hilux popped up on Ebay. Advertised as a Toyota pickup and the pic being of the front most would accidentally glance over this yota thinking it was just a regular old Toyota pickup. BUT IT WASN'T! and even better was it was only 3 hours away! I messaged the guy and got the details on the HiLux. He offered to sell it out right at his reservation Price, and I made arrangements to go check it out. Sadly this Lux has had a hard life since entering N America. Spending a few years in Canada took a toll on the front doors and tailgate. Maintenance... well she needs a master cylinder, power steering is not working (thinking the pump), Rear Diff pinion bearing is SHOOT, and i think so are the gears, Belts are all loose, Leafs are toast, and the switch for the Fan is broke on Full blast!

After my experience with my FJ80 I was tempted to walk but he offered to drop it another 500 to help with the diff issues... at 5500 for a 3L Double Cab 4x4 Hilux legally imported into the US with 200,000KM... and a fully supportive wife. We jump on it!

Sadly this will be a SloooooooooooooW build, I just got accepted to grad school and we still want to get those pesky student loans paid off. So I will be starting with Mechanical first, then Body, then in the summer of 2020 fun stuff like ARB bumper, Winch, OME lift and maybe even a RTT. If you know where I can find a OEM service manual please let me know.

Hilux02.JPG
Hilux01.JPG
Hilux05.JPG
Hilux04.JPG
Hilux07.JPG

Last edited:
Also Here is the runner, she was a huge part of my wife and I dating, engagement, early marriage life. I literally bought it weeks before I met her. Many offroad adventures were had with this runner. If some of you recognize her, well you may know this runner as Mike Leary old runner.
Runner Crossing Stream 1.jpg
Runner sunset.jpg
Toys and School.jpg

And the 1977 RA29 Celica that my dad and I restored, and I bought from him.

IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG

...and the switch for the Fan is broke on Full blast!

A few thoughts.

First, welcome to our slice of MUD. Congratulations on the find.
Second, ya, that 3FE in an 80-series can be challenging. Fortunately, with a little build, tune, desmog, and stuffing it in a lighter 40-series, it's a sweet engine … especially when the top end is bolted to a 2F bottom end.
Third. We hate you. Yes, I've said it before. Those of you with 4-door Hilux will be despised by this group. (Hang on a second, I need a napkin to wipe my slobber.)

OK, on to the fan. It is most likely, 100%, not the fan. You have these little things called coil resistors that control the speed. They burn out. They are located on the firewall, usually just above your toes with your feet stretched out. I can tell you where they are on a LHD gen2, and can only guess they are in the same place on your gen3 RHD, only backwards. It's and easy and cheap repair. I'm going to dig through my pics to see if I have anything worthwhile to help you find them.

Last edited:
See if these help. First pic is the resistor pack and the connector. Second pic is the hole they fit into. They are held in place with a single screw. Location is next to the blower fan.

resistor.jpg

resistorlocation.jpg

HAHAHA, thank Pappy,

My FJ80 was desmoged and it was a Great Engine, but years of neglict on that vehicle and just poor memories is was ultimately took its toll,
As for the Hilux, I kept it a secrete until I had the title in hand.. Didnt want someone to come scope it up while the deal was getting finalized. I couldnt believe how lucky I was to find it.
Also the issue isnt what you are thinking.. literally the switch to control it is bad... it flops around with no resistance... Here is a pic, the one missing the piece flops around.

IMG_5702.JPG

First off, let me say congrats on the find! Double cabs are definitely, definitely cool to have. On second note though, as @pappy has already warned you - I'm jumping on the hate train too :flipoff2:

I would like to think that the fan switch should be the same as any other old 90's Toyota pickup. Pull it out and compare it to one from the US. Worst case scenario you flip the plug over :hillbilly:

The door rust is pretty gnarly,but it looks like you've got a set in the bed that you can use. It may be tricky if it's got power windows using the old door panels...

Oh and lastly, nice Celica! I've always wanted a fastback one. I'd sell that 4Runner to buy that too, so don't sweat it!

Welcome to mud!

Congrats on the 106. It's already hard to come by Stateside and to top it off with that price tag? Almost next to impossible!

I'm 90% certain that the Hilux shares the same front doors with the 4-door 4Runner/Surf from 90-95. Will be keeping an eye on this very project!

Love that HiLux! And LOVE that Celica! Just one more pic... gotta see the inside - steering wheel and dash. My dad had that car new. I've always wanted to restore or find a restored/clean '74-'77 Celica.

Great find! The Celica is amazing too! I’m looking for a double cab 84-88 Hilux in a casual sort of way. They are great trucks!

Nice find! Looks like a good starting point and a solid value and it also looks like maybe most the rust is on panels that you can easily unbolt. I've got a double cab ln106 as well that I also got in rough shape and have been rehabbing.

95% sure that 2nd gen 4runner doors swap onto your truck.

First order of business is replace the timing belt IMO if you don't know 100% it has been done properly. It is an interference engine, and a 100k km/10 year interval. There is a timing belt light you can reset with a paperclip via a port in the gauge cluster. Any sign of leaks on the injection pump? That will also be due soon if it hasn't been done ($$$), and you have to take of the timing belt to do it, so maybe worth while to rebuild that in conjunction with the timing belt replacement. A perk of redoing the (terribly leaking) injection pump on my truck was what felt like about a 30% power increase.

Good luck!

I'm 90% certain that the Hilux shares the same front doors with the 4-door 4Runner/Surf from 90-95. Will be keeping an eye on this very project!
I believe the door I have are from a 2nd gen runner,
Should also add: find new wheels....
I dont hate the Wheels but what I do hate is that they are 15s. So they have to go. I have a set of late FZJ80 wheels in the garage that I will probably use because Free!
I've got a double cab ln106 as well that I also got in rough shape and have been rehabbing.
Awesome! Are you in the states? either way I could use some help especially in locating the parts... I know most parts are in the US but you got to know Part #s... I ordered an Australian manual and I hope it helps but I know an OEM one would be better. As for the Timing belt Back40Imports says he changes them with every one he gets in. But I know very little of the company and am just going off his word. I plan on at least taking a look at the belt.

Now waiting on that Freaking Aussie manual...

Manhattan, here is that pic you wanted! I just realized... what looks the same but flipped from the HiLux to the Celica.. LOL
IMG_5703.JPG

Last edited:
I'm on Vancouver Island in BC. Here's a pic of mine from a few months ago before a new hood, windshield frame repair, and roof respray. It's a little tidier now.

As far as parts, I get most parts that are specific to the hilux from partsouq.com. I also use the diagrams on the site to figure out part numbers and so far everything has been correct. It comes from the UAE, but the prices are good and they ship fast.

If I can't find it on partsouq, the second site I use for the hilux specific parts is: Genuine Japanese Car Part Imports - Amayama

You need the part number for amayama. I got a speedo cable off there no issues.

Other parts like axle parts, differential parts, etc. the North American suppliers stock. For example I just rebuilt my driveshaft and rear axle with parts for domestic trucks from rockauto.com, marlin crawler, and the local parts store.

Overall it is a pretty easy jdm to find parts for.

As far as manuals, the best bet is to just find the Toyota FSMs online. You just have to mix and match years as appropriate for the part you are working on (e.g. earlier truck for the front axle) and find the 3L engine manual.

IMG_20190219_115906.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Excellent info and nice truck!, Im jealous of your topper! I think I will be bailing on my under bumper trim when I go to an ARB... so keep an eye on this if your wanting to replace yours with a straight one.
Other parts like axle parts, differential parts, etc. the North American suppliers stock. For example I just rebuilt my driveshaft and rear axle with parts for domestic trucks from rockauto.com, marlin crawler, and the local parts store.
I think this will be my first project. Which rear axle do they have? Im assuming they are the 85 toyota pickup axels.

Thanks!!! Excellent info and nice truck!, Im jealous of your topper! I think I will be bailing on my under bumper trim when I go to an ARB... so keep an eye on this if your wanting to replace yours with a straight one.

I think this will be my first project. Which rear axle do they have? Im assuming they are the 85 toyota pickup axels.

Toyota didn't change their rear axles much, but do note that the trucks with independent front suspension have wider rear axles than those with a straight axle.

The axle width is the same 85, but the FSM for anything 85 to 95 should work for rebuild instructions. In my rear axle rebuild I found:
-Truck has a v6 style differential
-Brake cylinders were not cross-compatible with the same year north American truck (or the parts store messed up) LN106 cylinder was a little bigger and had slots in the ends.
-I got a rear axle bearing kit from marlin and everything worked.
-Have a plan for rear wheel bearing replacement before you get in there. You need either: a press and to either build or borrow the SST; or to be willing to do the smash it on the ground method (too barbaric for my liking)

If you want to run 16s you might want to consider rebuilding and swapping in an ifs rear housing (from an 86 to 95 pickup, not 4runner), which would allow you to run factory ifs wheels (e.g. factory 16s) if you also widen out the front with an ifs hub swap.

So after some research I found out my diffs are G285, which mean 8in 4.3 gears w lsd 4 pinion! But it’s toast and need a complete rebuild. I also found that a 3rd gen runner most common gear ratio for a e locker is 4.3! And with a little work you can squeeze one in and it should be less than a rebuild on my diff.

I also tore into the dash to get to the broken switch. And this is what I found
02752B34-851E-4DBA-A0D0-ED1D1FF1F138.jpeg

Notice the plug is a little burnt but the inside of the switch had been destroyed can’t tell if the switch got hot cause it broke or Vica versa but I do know I need at least this part.
883FDF7D-0A1C-4004-8B27-E2720F946043.jpeg

So tomorrow morning I am going shopping at some local salvage yards! I also should get my Aussie manual. Here is my shopping list although the power steering and master cylinder I will probably order.

Locking rear diff 3rd gen
Dash plastic
Screw and plastic square around glovebox
AC fan control with knob
Master cylinder
Power steering pump
Tools to drop spare
Fzj80 late rim

So after some research I found out my diffs are G285, which mean 8in 4.3 gears w lsd 4 pinion! But it’s toast and need a complete rebuild. I also found that a 3rd gen runner most common gear ratio for a e locker is 4.3! And with a little work you can squeeze one in and it should be less than a rebuild on my diff.

I also tore into the dash to get to the broken switch. And this is what I foundView attachment 2047585
Notice the plug is a little burnt but the inside of the switch had been destroyed can’t tell if the switch got hot cause it broke or Vica versa but I do know I need at least this part.
View attachment 2047587
So tomorrow morning I am going shopping at some local salvage yards! I also should get my Aussie manual. Here is my shopping list although the power steering and master cylinder I will probably order.

Locking rear diff 3rd gen
Dash plastic
Screw and plastic square around glovebox
AC fan control with knob
Master cylinder
Power steering pump
Tools to drop spare
Fzj80 late rim

An e-locker would be a nice upgrade, just need to notch the housing a little bit for the actuator to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom