Planning a new GX purchase, off road trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum and coming from the wrangler world looking for something good for the road as well as trail. I really just found the GX a month ago and it has a lot of appeal to me. I will be buying some property in Colorado so I will be making the trip from Houston a few extra times a year and I don’t think I can do it again in the Rubicon on “35s. I have test driven a ‘19 4R and a ‘18 Gx. Of course I’m super impressed with the gx feel/comfort on the road.

I love the cargo area of the 4R, the rear window, aftermarket support and better price point (all things that have been discussed a few times on here to say the least).

But, now the 2020 GX is available with an off road package with mode select and crawl control, belly armor, trans cooler and a few other bells. Sounds awesome and I’m prepared to spend some money but this package, reportedly, will only be available on the Luxury trim. I really don’t want the air bags and this I’m sure is going to push the lux gx price up (guessing closer to $70k). In that price range I’m seeing low mileage land cruisers.

Anything good about this air suspension? I know if I want to upgrade shocks or do a small lift down the road it creates issues and has to be ripped out, it seems overly complicated, but what about short term? From what I hear the difference between selecting comfort and sport is negligible on the lux. Anyone have a better guess at what a lux with the OR package might come in at?

The 2020 offroad package is the driver support package, dsp, of previous years with an external transmission cooler (which can be added for about $500). Add an RCI full gas tank skid (450)... arb skids add another 500 for the set, the overhead camera is unnecessary with all the sensors and existing cameras.

Unless you absolutely want or need to buy new for some reason, let someone else take the first 2-3 years of depreciation and pick up a cherry luxury coming off of lease with the DSP, add the cooler and you're out 20-30K less, vehicle is still under warranty so no worries. what we did and no regrets. would never buy one of these things new....

The 2020 offroad package is the driver support package, dsp, of previous years with an external transmission cooler (which can be added for about $500). Add an RCI full gas tank skid (450)... arb skids add another 500 for the set, the overhead camera is unnecessary with all the sensors and existing cameras.

Unless you absolutely want or need to buy new for some reason, let someone else take the first 2-3 years of depreciation and pick up a cherry luxury coming off of lease with the DSP, add the cooler and you're out 20-30K less, vehicle is still under warranty so no worries. what we did and no regrets. would never buy one of these things new....
But no crawl control or terrain select? What’s the DSP consist of?

If you get to the $70's you can look at a new 200 series. There are a couple of guys in the 200 section who have dealers selling new 200's in the mid to upper $70's

New to the forum and coming from the wrangler world looking for something good for the road as well as trail. I really just found the GX a month ago and it has a lot of appeal to me. I will be buying some property in Colorado so I will be making the trip from Houston a few extra times a year and I don’t think I can do it again in the Rubicon on “35s. I have test driven a ‘19 4R and a ‘18 Gx. Of course I’m super impressed with the gx feel/comfort on the road.

I love the cargo area of the 4R, the rear window, aftermarket support and better price point (all things that have been discussed a few times on here to say the least).

But, now the 2020 GX is available with an off road package with mode select and crawl control, belly armor, trans cooler and a few other bells. Sounds awesome and I’m prepared to spend some money but this package, reportedly, will only be available on the Luxury trim. I really don’t want the air bags and this I’m sure is going to push the lux gx price up (guessing closer to $70k). In that price range I’m seeing low mileage land cruisers.

Anything good about this air suspension? I know if I want to upgrade shocks or do a small lift down the road it creates issues and has to be ripped out, it seems overly complicated, but what about short term? From what I hear the difference between selecting comfort and sport is negligible on the lux. Anyone have a better guess at what a lux with the OR package might come in at?
Regardless of which year GX you get, you may want to look at any one of these builds:
My own build thread is here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo but may be a little more than what most people want.
Also, my wife and I just came back from a 3,800 mile road trip on 21 July 2019 (a week ago) with my rig. We went from home (San Clemente, CA) to San Antonio and Waco, Texas, then to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, up to north Lake Tahoe (NV) and finally back home. This was our first real road trip with our rig built up and could not have been more amazed at how cool and comfortable we were!! And that's coming from us having two 100 series Landcruisers! The GX was way better than our Landcruisers! We averaged between 15 mph and 17 mph. And that was traveling at the speed limit (80 mph) or wee bit above!

A little tip we didn't realize. We were traveling in about 105° F temp's and we were feeling warm air coming from behind and it was nulling out the cold air from up front. It took a few minutes until we figured it out.
The 3rd climate zone for the middle seat was set to 85° F!!!
I set it to 70° F and all of a sudden we were getting COLD air blowing from behind.
There were times in triple digit temperatures that we were actually getting TOO cold! We had to raise the thermostat's temperature for my wife and I up to 75° F.
72° F was just too cold!

Regardless of which year GX you get, you may want to look at any one of these builds:
My own build thread is here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo but may be a little more than what most people want.
Also, my wife and I just came back from a 3,800 mile road trip on 21 July 2019 (a week ago) with my rig. We went from home (San Clemente, CA) to San Antonio and Waco, Texas, then to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, up to north Lake Tahoe (NV) and finally back home. This was our first real road trip with our rig built up and could not have been more amazed at how cool and comfortable we were!! And that's coming from us having two 100 series Landcruisers! The GX was way better than our Landcruisers! We averaged between 15 mph and 17 mph. And that was traveling at the speed limit (80 mph) or wee bit above!

A little tip we didn't realize. We were traveling in about 105° F temp's and we were feeling warm air coming from behind and it was nulling out the cold air from up front. It took a few minutes until we figured it out.
The 3rd climate zone for the middle seat was set to 85° F!!!
I set it to 70° F and all of a sudden we were getting COLD air blowing from behind.
There were times in triple digit temperatures that we were actually getting TOO cold! We had to raise the thermostat's temperature for my wife and I up to 75° F.
72° F was just too cold!

Your rig is cool, but I think the plan will be to stay stock (mostly) for the foreseeable future. I am very familiar with how the handling, power and over all driving dynamics change on a vehicle when you start adding weight and larger size tires. The V8 is nice in the GX but it doesn’t really seem to offer a ton of extra power. For me coming from built wranglers, I’m wanting to enjoy the ride for a while first.

If you get to the $70's you can look at a new 200 series. There are a couple of guys in the 200 section who have dealers selling new 200's in the mid to upper $70's
Yes I agree, but I’d be shocked to fine too many deals around here. Hard enough just to find one on the lot.

Yes I agree, but I’d be shocked to fine too many deals around here. Hard enough just to find one on the lot.

One of the quotes in the 200 forum new 200 discussion was from a dealer in Texas.

I ended up finding a dealer in San Antonio that gave me top KBB for my wrangler and the best price I could find on a LC 200 ‘18 with just 18k miles. I’m happy, no real compromises with rig, only real complaint is how the second row stows.
0A1502E7-7201-4761-B141-C17F3A4E3978.jpeg

I guess you'll be trolling the 200 series forum now... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom