What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My dad would have (actually, he has...) kicked me out of the car a few miles from the camp site, undoubtedly because we couldn't play nice in the back seat for so long.

You're obviously a wizard to have 3 happy kids in the back for so long.

3rd timing belt, valve cover gaskets, and other items while in there - dealer installed (have a good one near me) as I didn't have the time...or desire.
Which dealer?

New shoes, nothing exciting, but had to do the full wash/rubbing coumpound/wax.

IMG_20190712_154706.jpg

Just got my '06 100 on July 1st with 187k on the clock. First thing I did was take some Lexol cleaner and conditioner to the seats. It didn't work any miracles but I have to believe they are cleaner and will last just a bit longer. I added Weathertech mats (and will be replacing the stained carpet asap). Yesterday I started the air filter retro fit and finished it today. I also chased a water leak. The sunroof drains worked well in testing so I put some Permatex windshield leak repair in the top of the windshield that looked like it had a gap. I suspect if it looks like a gap, water can definitely get in there. I really hope that was the cause and it will hold until I can have the windshield pulled and properly repaired.

This website is an invaluable resource.

Got back after a 5 week road trip. Visited Sedona, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater NM, Wupatki NM, Natural Bridges NM, Petrified Forest NP, Grand Canyon NP(North and South Rim), Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Paria Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Zion NP, Bryce NP, Capitol Reef NP, Hell’s Backbone...etc. 2200 miles, (over 300 off pavement). Followed a google maps GPS “shortcut” through a burned out forest (had to turn around, since it wasn’t even a road). First time in deep sand (felt like driving through a foot of water). First trail “fix” for a cracked boot- hose clamp and rubber glove, no it did not work, but it didn’t fall off either. Over 10k pics, so 5 wont really scratch the surface. Will be posting more pics on that thread soon.

View attachment 2027692

View attachment 2027694

View attachment 2027695

View attachment 2027696

View attachment 2027701
You are a rock star doing that with five kids! Awesome 😎

Got back after a 5 week road trip. Visited Sedona, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater NM, Wupatki NM, Natural Bridges NM, Petrified Forest NP, Grand Canyon NP(North and South Rim), Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Paria Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Zion NP, Bryce NP, Capitol Reef NP, Hell’s Backbone...etc. 2200 miles, ...

View attachment 2027701

That last picture with your family and your camping stuff is the best picture I've ever seen on IH8MUD! And your wife is smiling! You are a lucky man! Congratulations!

Gil

The tent is enormous- fits our queen,two twins, and a single air mattress. Privacy is not an issue yet, with young kids, but we used to take 2-3 smaller tents and were spending over an hour each for setup and tear down. Also, the tent has a zip up “wall” divider in the middle, when needed.
Bathroom duties are taken care of behind a tree with the camp shovel (BLM campsites can be huge) or in the bathrooms located within campgrounds- though I have driven 1/2 a mile to a pit toilet when needed. When we were hiking through a sensitive area where you have to pack out your waste, we made everyone go before the hike...and don’t judge too quickly about the well behaved kids!
This was my family 35 years ago in the big Oldsmobile station wagon.... your kids will never forget these trips.

After spiking to 230* in extreme conditions last weekend (90*+ ambient, 4-low uphill crawling, lots of idling and AC), I decided to replace my fan clutch. It's the last part of my cooling system that hasn't been replaced in the last 6 months. I ordered an Aisin for $80-something.

Easy enough job. Disconnect battery. Drain about 2 liters of coolant and remove the upper radiator hose. Remove engine cover and center section of the intake tube. Disconnect the 2 brackets holding the hard lines above the shroud so they can be pushed out of the way later. Remove 2 bolts holding the shroud to the radiator. Remove the expansion tank (2 bolts and a plastic clip). Once you've got an open-ish work area, use a 12mm (SIX POINT WRENCH ONLY) on one nut to hold the clutch pulley still, and another on the other 3 nuts to remove them. Leverage is key, as is soaking liberally as long as you can before removing. Don't be stupid like me and soak it for 15 minutes and use a 12 point wrench, and round off 3 nuts, then have to chisel them off and hate your life. Use a screw driver to hold the clutch still to remove the last nut. Then pull the fan and shroud out together, careful of the those hard lines, pull the shroud about half way out then the fan will come out with the clutch. Swap the fan to the new clutch and reinstall in reverse. Refill and burp your radiator and you're done.

I could do the next one in like an hour to an hour and a half. The rounded nuts included, I spent about 5 hours. Ugh.

Today I bought a LX470. Gave a it decent interior vacuum and cleaning. Want to do more but perhaps I should license and insure it first.

So far I've done:

1) bought one
2) deep cleaned interior and carpet
3) replaced hood and trunk struts
4) bought the exterior black trim back to life
5) removed interior wood grain trim
6) replaced cabin air filter

So far I've done:

1) bought one
2) deep cleaned interior and carpet
3) replaced hood and trunk struts
4) bought the exterior black trim back to life
5) removed interior wood grain trim
6) replaced cabin air filter

How much did #5 set you back? Go with black plastic?

Finally got around to splicing in a new trailer connection to the stock wiring harness after destroying mine on Pearl Pass last summer. Searched all over for a full replacement stock harness but after deciding I wasn't going to spend $300 on one I just decided to take stab at making something else work. All in around $50. Now to reinstall and relocate so it won't get smoked again.

IMG_6782.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom