LX470 with failed AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in a predicament. Trying to decide if I just need to sell it. I was camping and the AHC light started flashing off and over a short amount of time I was on bump stops. I found what appears to be a leak above be right rear passenger side wheel in a hydraulic line. The reservoir is completely empty. I don't want to waste money by putting in Toyota AHC fluid and attempting to diagnose the issue with it just pouring out on the ground. I have read the post on using Dexron VI, but there is nothing definitive. Any help and guidance would be appreciated as to what I should do. The option to swap over to LC Springs and torsion bars is there. I just do not want to waste money. LX needs new front seats, timing belt, nav delete, and has 325k miles. Maybe these will play a factor in suggestions.

Switching over to conventional LC springs/suspension sounds like the way to go in your situation.

Chances are...you have other thin spots in other lines and that your 'Globes' are likely in need of replacement at your vehicles age and mileage. So.... by the time you 'refresh' the system (unless you just really like AHC) it would much easier and more cost effective to just change it over.

If you have a hydraulic line leak, then I'm with Flintknapper on the suggestion to convert to conventional. Most components of the AHC are straightforward to replace. Those hydraulic lines? HECK NO. They are routed on the frame in between the body and the frame. They are an absolute pain to remove. Can't imagine trying to install new ones.

Why not have a local shop splice on a new section of line to replace the damaged one? Or you can grab a new section of line and some Dorman High Pressure compression union fittings and DIY. Repairing high pressure hydraulic lines is fairly common on farm and construction equipment. If the rest of your AHC system is in bad shape, I might recommend looking into a swap, but that's much more cost and labor than even having an entire line replaced, let alone a repair to an existing one.

Like @BEG mentioned, replace or fix may be cheaper then going full LC suspension.

I'd take to a reputable shop or DIY and compare costs, fix a line and refill AHC may be cheaper and can give you more time to adress other things you are more worried about.

So, going the cheapest route possible, I am probably looking at buying used Springs, two torsion bars, and new shocks, correct? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on the coast that knows anything about the AHC, furthermore, they would charge me an arm and a leg for the Lexus badge.

So, I have a question. It is going to cost me north of $600 to change to LC springs and TB's.
I bought some Dexron VI the other day because it was buy one, get one 1/2 off, so $25 later, I have enough to fill my system and attempt to locate the leak. If it is just a hydraulic line, that is cheap to fix to give me some time. This is not a daily driver.

Can I use some kind of dye to use with a blacklight to locate the leak?
I do plan on draining the system and starting over from scratch with Toyota AHC fluid once leak is fixed.

Afaik, Dexron is no go. Anything else than ahc fluid will eat the diaphragms in the spheres and possible the seals in the actuators. In order to get the Dexron out after testing, you would have to remove the shocks and empty them by pumping them upside down. I suppose it is rust which have caused the leak, and in that case you would probably not be able to remove the shocks in a usable state.
As much as I love the AHC system, I would suggest changing it out if you cannot maintain and repair it yourself. If you change to convetional suspension: Used TBs are OK. Used shocks if they are OEM and have low miles/years. Rear coils - get new ones if OEM.
The other items you mention are peanuts and normal maintenance at "your age".
LX needs new front seats, timing belt, nav delete, and has 325k miles. Maybe these will play a factor in suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom