Propane tanks- what other options are out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ swing arm. Since that photo I welded on a SS locking clasp to secure the tank to the bracket in place of the two ratchet straps.

Marine/boat applications use aluminum tanks that come in many sizes. For ideas, check the West Marine online catalog.

Doug

Anyone ever come across a small camping sized propane tank that is sideways? As in...the valve is midway down the length? Think miniature version of a large tank someone would have outside of a business or house.

I've always wanted to try to mount a propane tank under my 80 where the spare tire used to live...having my small 10lb propane tank is nice, but there is never a good, solid, secure place to put it in the truck when I go camping.

However I've read you don't want to take the upright tanks and use them on their side because of the liquid propane getting through the valve.

Just curious.

Manchester Tank. Insanely expensive--smallest tank $450.

Explode.... not likely....
Rupture, and catch on fire perhaps.. if the conditions are met... (pressure relief valve opens or ruptures, and there is an open flame, or electrical sparks going on already) there is a higher chance of the tank becoming a projectile of not secured properly..

They do make propane tanks designed for horizontal mounting. Many forklifts, etc have tank mounts like this and require a tank designed to pull gas from when it's horizontal. All the ones I've seen still have the valve assembly at one end, not in the middle.

Of course, these tend to be larger tanks, because who wants to run to get gas anymore often than necessary. Finding a 10 lb cylinder set-up like this may be difficult.

Here's a propane tank with the valve assembly in the middle

Best picture I could find of my old rig..so zoom in! 200 Liter tank for the 2f.

Wow! You guys must cook a LOT to need that much propane! We use the disposable 1 lb tanks on our Partner Steel stove and have never used more than 3 tanks even on week long trips! Plus, if i do runmout i can pull into just about any store and pick up a few more........

Wow! You guys must cook a LOT to need that much propane! We use the disposable 1 lb tanks on our Partner Steel stove and have never used more than 3 tanks even on week long trips! Plus, if i do runmout i can pull into just about any store and pick up a few more........

Even not cooking much, I would stay away from the disposable 1 lb tanks because they're not recyclable. And those little canisters cost alot. You can refill a 20 lb propane tank for about $20.00. Twenty 1-lb canisters would cost $60.00. You could buy a new, full 20-lb propane tank for that price. Most people already have 20-lb propane tank, so it's just cost of refill.

You can refill those 1 lb cannisters which is an improvement, though refilling is not recommended and strictly DIY.

Even not cooking much, I would stay away from the disposable 1 lb tanks because they're not recyclable. And those little canisters cost alot. You can refill a 20 lb propane tank for about $20.00. Twenty 1-lb canisters would cost $60.00. You could buy a new, full 20-lb propane tank for that price. Most people already have 20-lb propane tank, so it's just cost of refill.

You can refill those 1 lb cannisters which is an improvement, though refilling is not recommended and strictly DIY.
Point well taking on the recycle factor but even with the cost savings, weight savings is more important to me. I guess if you are going to be on the road for months at a time it would be practical but I couldnt imagine hauling around a 20 lb. tank of propane for a weekend or even a week long trip. 10 Lbs maybe but deffinitly not 20 lbs!
No offense, JMO.

Propane for cooking, gas fire pit, maybe a shower....... yeah i doubt a 1lb propane bottle would cut it.... on a weekend trip let a lone a multi week trip..... and even less on winter...

Point well taking on the recycle factor but even with the cost savings, weight savings is more important to me. I guess if you are going to be on the road for months at a time it would be practical but I couldnt imagine hauling around a 20 lb. tank of propane for a weekend or even a week long trip. 10 Lbs maybe but deffinitly not 20 lbs!
No offense, JMO.
I just saw kits with proper refillable 1 lb bottles at a Bass Pro Shop recently. If that helps.

Look into a 4.5lbs or 10lbs propane tank. Way better and cheaper than the little disposable green tanks. Costs less than $10 for me to fill up my 10lbs tank and it lasts me all summer.

Look into a 4.5lbs or 10lbs propane tank. Way better and cheaper than the little disposable green tanks. Costs less than $10 for me to fill up my 10lbs tank and it lasts me all summer.

Probably because they're less popular, those smaller tanks cost more ($60 for both 5 lb and 10lb at Walmart). But still better than the 1 lb disposable. Just will take a little longer to reach pay back.

I just got the adapter for the 1lb disposable canister and refilled two with no probs. The trick is to refill it with the 20 pounder upside down so you can get a lot more of the liquified gas in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom