Builds Bluebonnet - 5.3/H55 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1A97E19B-7275-44DF-9491-B4588424A8DA.jpeg

Unfortunately no hard top, jump seats or back-up light. Found a mis-labeled light on eBay that I’m restoring. 😁. Plus going with a canvas soft top with OEM bows.

D8EB3CA7-8C0B-4641-8729-43CB45319D00.jpeg

Great 40! Love the family vibe for cruisers.

@kevos37, I heard of your misfortune in the CA fires and your beloved 40 that got impacted. Also heard the great recovery story. Thanks for contributing to this journey with the parts you sold @SipLife. Good Karma will follow. Always.

@kevos37, I heard of your misfortune in the CA fires and your beloved 40 that got impacted. Also heard the great recovery story. Thanks for contributing to this journey with the parts you sold @SipLife. Good Karma will follow. Always.

I likes good Karma.

The fire is behind us, but there isn't a day passes that I'm not reminded of it. A missing tool, a favorite chair, my shops etc, mostly I miss our pets. Thanks for the kind words.

Kevo

Maybe I missed it, what are the plans? :) Looks like a great complete starting point.

The plan is to make Bluebonnet a mechanically solid daily driver while preserving her original patina exterior and interior.

Current mechanical setup:

327 Corvette Engine
Toyota 3 on the floor transmission
Non-split case Transfer w/ Ebrake
Stock Front and Rear Drum Brake Axles
Selectro Locking Hubs
No Power Steering

Current Body Condition:

Hood, Fenders, Cowl, Aprons, Doors, Quarter Panels, and the Rear Hatch are in great condition with no cancerous rust or pitting.

Areas of Concern:

Rear Sill: Rust has eaten through a few layers of metal, but not all the way through. It also hasn’t wrapped around to the rear quarters yet.

88E29FE8-891F-4FF6-887E-AF0AC565F9A8.jpeg

Barn Doors: The bottom edge of the Doors have been rusted through from the inside.

EA40FA03-8FBA-40C5-88C6-E01EB093DBE4.jpeg
FB3C8428-A207-4FF4-A855-C39D3C511BA5.jpeg

Fiberglass Top: Several surface cracks and a few pin sized holes. Fiberglass fibers are exposed through the paint in some areas.

EC650BE9-D3BC-4682-A93E-406AA2D9046E.jpeg

This is where the fun begins: :grinpimp:

Future Mechanical Plan:

Get 327 Corvette engine running and put it up for sale. Then swap in a 2H 6 cylinder diesel motor.

Swap the 3 speed on the floor tranny for a 4 speed Toyota tranny.

Keep the same transfer w/ Ebrake

Swap the front drum axle components with fj62 front disk break components. Keep the stock rear drum axle.

Add 4WD Solid Axle Mini Truck Power Steering

Future Body Plan:

Wash the entire truck with soap and water, including the interior. Scrub the body with CLR to remove any oxidation from the OEM paint. Wax and Buff. Treat the Rear Sill and Lower Barn door sills with rust converter. Thanks for the Patina writeup @wngrog :)

Last edited:
Good plans. If I had a strong 327 in an FJ40 when I was 16 I probably woulndt be writing this now :lol:
Turbo diesel will feel a lot more “land cruiser-y”

That being said you should have a V8-powered cruiser at some point in life :)

The plan is to make Bluebonnet a mechanically solid daily driver while preserving her original patina exterior and interior.

Current mechanical setup:

327 Corvette Engine
Toyota 3 on the floor transmission
Non-split case Transfer w/ Ebrake
Stock Front and Rear Drum Brake Axles
Selectro Locking Hubs
No Power Steering

Current Body Condition:

Hood, Fenders, Cowl, Aprons, Doors, Quarter Panels, and the Rear Hatch are in great condition with no cancerous rust or pitting.

Areas of Concern:

Rear Sill: Rust has eaten through a few layers of metal, but not all the way through. It also hasn’t wrapped around to the rear quarters yet.

View attachment 2017532

Barn Doors: The bottom edge of the Doors have been rusted through from the inside.

View attachment 2017533View attachment 2017534

Fiberglass Top: Several surface cracks and a few pin sized holes. Fiberglass fibers are exposed through the paint in some areas.

View attachment 2017536

This is where the fun begins: :grinpimp:

Future Mechanical Plan:

Get 327 Corvette engine running and put it up for sale. Then swap in a 2H 6 cylinder diesel motor.

Swap the 3 speed on the floor tranny for a 4 speed Toyota tranny.

Keep the same transfer w/ Ebrake

Swap the front drum axle components with fj62 front disk break components. Keep the stock rear drum axle.

Add 4WD Solid Axle Mini Truck Power Steering

Future Body Plan:

Wash the entire truck with soap and water, including the interior. Scrub the body with CLR to remove any oxidation from the OEM paint. Wax and Buff. Treat the Rear Sill and Lower Barn door sills with rust converter. Thanks for the Patina writeup @wngrog :)
Are you going to repair the barn doors or are you going to seek out replacements? I have some barn doors that can provide the patch pieces for repair and I also have some barn doors.

Kevo

Good plans. If I had a strong 327 in an FJ40 when I was 16 I probably woulndt be writing this now :lol:
Turbo diesel will feel a lot more “land cruiser-y”

That being said you should have a V8-powered cruiser at some point in life :)

"land-cruisery" is a great description. I had a fuel injected 350 in a 40 on 37's and it was a blast, but with the SM420/350 it just didn't feel as "land-cruisery" as you put it. It's a good thing I didn't keep track of mileage 🤣 ... I wasn't a total jerk driving, but I always would smoke any of the Jeeps that thought their mini-van engine was so cool. Ahh...the old times...
Now that I'm a little older I tend to just "cruise" around under the speed limit and wave my fist in the air at youngsters... Get off my lawn!!

(I'm not THAT old, but to my kids 18,15,10....42 is ancient)

"land-cruisery" is a great description. I had a fuel injected 350 in a 40 on 37's and it was a blast, but with the SM420/350 it just didn't feel as "land-cruisery" as you put it. It's a good thing I didn't keep track of mileage 🤣 ... I wasn't a total jerk driving, but I always would smoke any of the Jeeps that thought their mini-van engine was so cool. Ahh...the old times...
Now that I'm a little older I tend to just "cruise" around under the speed limit and wave my fist in the air at youngsters... Get off my lawn!!

There's definitely something to be said about an under speed limit "cruise" in a Landcruiser as you say. It gives you time to take in your surroundings and enjoy nature's ac. She blows cold! 😁 Me and @ceylonfj40nut sure enjoy our cruises in our HJ60 "Rootbeer".

Last edited:
So, I've been doing some thinking about Bluebonnet's Future Mechanical setup and need some advice:

I've been thinking about doing a 4 wheel disk break setup on Bluebonnet. I already sourced FJ62 front disk break components for the front axle and am considering the JT outfitters rear disk break conversion kit for the rear drum axle. We also have a spare H55 and Split Case in the shop that could be put to use in Bluebonnet. The only issue is when swapping from a single to split case I will loose the parking break on the T-Case. I have been doing some research on Mud and IMO the best option is adding the parking break to the rear axle. It would be cheaper than sourcing an 80+ FJ40 rear PB axle. The only downside is that I would have to shorten the rear driveshaft. What are your thoughts on this? What PB setup would you recommend and why?

Here is a helpful thread I found on FJ40 PB options:

Last edited:

We are trying to resurrect the 327 to burn some rubber. It would be a thing to say we did in a 40. We had high hopes of adding some ATF or Marvel Mystery oil to the cylinders last weekend. Tried all the spark plug sockets I had for cruisers and more. None of them worked.🤔. Heading to the barn with @SipLife this week to do a Take 2. We tried to push bump the motor in gear but the crankshaft pulley whistled Dixie.

Are you going to repair the barn doors or are you going to seek out replacements? I have some barn doors that can provide the patch pieces for repair and I also have some barn doors.

Kevo

@kevos37, thought I would share.

I had sub’d Your build thread a while back and it left an impression on me. I shared it with my sons @SipLife and @Cowboy45 today. They are reading it as I write. All kinds of light bulbs are being lit by your work. They are Uber impressed at what you did. They are also shellshocked at the loss you witnessed and the generosity of this community. I am sure there are tides of highs and lows you go through. Know that it will shape two young boys in unimaginably awesome ways. I just want to let you know that your past lives on in my boys and their journey. I hope they can call on you as they witness challenges.

Their mediclurin count is getting to a high sphere to receive instruction. Good padawans.

I am greatful for your interaction with @SipLife as he thinks through his parts and build. He is 16. @Cowboy45 is 13.

Cheers CD

Yes those years are special in a young man life. Those are the years he takes what he learned from his parents and melds it in with real lfe.. To be honest with you I think what you have is special. To have all your family bonded together doing something that everyone enjoys, a man can't ask for anymore. I think it's great for a young person to get out there twist some wrenches and take some time to think about things and how they operate. I remember this old Machinist , when he got in something new to work on it set it down in front of him on the bench and he just turn it around and study it for 5-10 minutes before proceeded to tear into it and repair it.

Cheers
Kevo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom