Grease gun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
For years I’ve fought a cheapo grease gun that’s a PITA. Any recommendations for a good gun for servicing u-joint and driveshaft zerks?

And no, an M3A1 probably won’t work.

For u-joints, driveshafts and any other suspension work I've moved to the small pistol grip grease guns with a needle. It is easy to use one handed and the needle makes it easier as you don't need the angles to be as perfect. Right now I have two cheap ones that I can bulk load. I now only use my big grease guns for topping off the birfs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ase-gun-kit/w54205/4614365?q=grease+gun&pos=5

For years I’ve fought a cheapo grease gun that’s a PITA. Any recommendations for a good gun for servicing u-joint and driveshaft zerks?

And no, an M3A1 probably won’t work.

Well I mean...it might not work but it would definitely be cool to have.

Honestly you're going to hate hearing this, but I've had excellent luck with my Harbor Freight grease gun. Bought it 4 years ago and it still works great.

Reactions: MoJ
Well I mean...it might not work but it would definitely be cool to have.

Honestly you're going to hate hearing this, but I've had excellent luck with my Harbor Freight grease gun. Bought it 4 years ago and it still works great.

That’s funny. The HF variety is what I’m complaining about. I have two. One works. One is a PITA.

Thanks. I think I’ll give this a try. I already have a NIB Lincoln needle.
For u-joints, driveshafts and any other suspension work I've moved to the small pistol grip grease guns with a needle. It is easy to use one handed and the needle makes it easier as you don't need the angles to be as perfect. Right now I have two cheap ones that I can bulk load. I now only use my big grease guns for topping off the birfs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ase-gun-kit/w54205/4614365?q=grease+gun&pos=5

Spend your $ on an electric. Coming from a guy with 4 JD tractors, 650J dozer, hay mower, rake, and 5x6 baler. Plus pecan equipment. And more implements than I can count. I bet their is over 500 grease zerts here.

Enough rambling. I have 2 cheapo electrics that have lasted 5 years and pumping.

Lincoln is definitely the brand I'd send you to. I have a pistol grip one as well, as it's very handy to squeeze with one hand while holding the nozzle end when needed. I got the whip hose for ease of use.

Reactions: MoJ
I use a LINCOLN cordless gun, but the real magic comes from the lock n lube tip. I'm telling you its worth the money. No fighting at all and it comes right off. I think its rated at 10K psi so your lube goes where you want and not all over the place.

Z6f5yNTnTZWn+Q2WoV9s3w.jpg

Made a hanger from 1/8" welding rod for simple one finger operation.

NTDQNE6lQLWoVc7ZK9tpSQ.jpg

... but the real magic comes from the lock n lube tip. I'm telling you its worth the money. No fighting at all and it comes right off. I think its rated at 10K psi so your lube goes where you want and not all over the place.

Thanks Paco, I just ordered one from Amazon.

Thanks Paco, I just ordered one from Amazon.

Lee,
I no longer dread using the grease gun since adding the Lock n Lube! The kit will or should come with a rebuild kit for the locking jaws.

Lee,
I no longer dread using the grease gun since adding the Lock n Lube! The kit will or should come with a rebuild kit for the locking jaws.

All these years of greasing stuff, and I never knew that these existed!

Lincolns are nice but I prefer the Alemite brand. My lever Alemite is 30+ years old and works perfect. My fave is my 2 yr old Alemite 555-E Pistol Grip. The two speed feature is really nice. If you have a clogged Zurk you can flip the lever to high pressure (more leverage) and often push it clear. Very easy to purge air and prime when changing cartridges. Often a pain with the cheap guns. I had to order my Lock & Lube seperate but now Amazon has the 555-E with the Lock & Lube on it as well as a swivel. Sweet. Alemite 555-E

I got the pneumatic Lincoln grease gun with the lock-n-lube. Like @firestopper said, the lock-n-lube is a game changer. Love the pneumatic gun.

Search B0019COQ6C on amazon.

I got the pneumatic Lincoln grease gun with the lock-n-lube. Like @firestopper said, the lock-n-lube is a game changer. Love the pneumatic gun.

Search B0019COQ6C on amazon.

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it. What fitting do you need with the lock and load or does it have everything you need?

I ordered the grease gun and one lock-n-lube. Came with everything you need. You just unscrew the push-on fitting from the end of the gun hose and screw on the lock-n-lube.

This is what we use in the shop, it's quick and we just hook to the shop reel when needs a reload.

Amazon product ASIN B00FL2SOXW{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276296798705&psc=1

I'm new to owning a grease gun. what is proper storage? hang it from the "crotch" of lever/can? (Alemite 500). Also, when switching grease, does one do a full cleanout, or just waste the last bit of grease in the gun prior to actually using the new flavor?

I'm new to owning a grease gun. what is proper storage? hang it from the "crotch" of lever/can?

Either that, or just lay it on a shelf. Sometimes a little grease or liquid will ooze out the applicator end after you use it, so I will lay mine on a rag.

Also, when switching grease, does one do a full cleanout, or just waste the last bit of grease in the gun prior to actually using the new flavor?

I usually only change mine when the tube is empty. Rather than argue/worry over which grease is best for which application, I just use a good-quality full-synthetic grease for everything I own; tractors, u-joints, steering linkages, pedals, whatever. If I'm doing wheel bearings or birfields, I'm not using the grease gun anyway. If the birfields need topping off, they get whatever's in the gun. Some will disagree, but that's how I do it. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom