Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some sample speeds v RPMs with the new tires.

Not quite H55 numbers but close

8EDA3F3B-7B50-4EE9-837F-7D066FF54FCE.jpeg

606B525F-CF49-4A7B-ACCE-3569B5C1FCD0.jpeg

B2C073C7-E1C1-4E78-AC78-7F68EAC899A4.jpeg

Also, my fuel starvation issue showed up again. Popped the gas cap off and it cured it.

I had dying and starvation issues that were randomly (not always) cured by loosening the gas cap. I fought air and gas leaks in my crappy aux tank switching valves, and after gutting them all (and the aux tank) and installing a clear fuel filter (pre-pump), I can keep an eye on this aeration and leak problem. It has been said many times that 90% of TBI EFI issues are fuel pressure-related, and I agree. I see why many people end up installing in-tank pumps.

So, I would study every fuel line, fitting, or filter between the tank and your pump. I'm sure you have, but do it again ;).

Great photos and stories from you, as usual!

Also, my fuel starvation issue showed up again. Popped the gas cap off and it cured it.

I had dying and starvation issues that were randomly (not always) cured by loosening the gas cap. I fought air and gas leaks in my crappy aux tank switching valves, and after gutting them all (and the aux tank) and installing a clear fuel filter (pre-pump), I can keep an eye on this aeration and leak problem. It has been said many times that 90% of TBI EFI issues are fuel pressure-related, and I agree. I see why many people end up installing in-tank pumps.

So, I would study every fuel line, fitting, or filter between the tank and your pump. I'm sure you have, but do it again ;).

Great photos and stories from you, as usual!

Thank you. That reminds me. I’m going to see if I can get a PowerSurge built with a TBI pump. Stay tuned

Got some goodies from @Fourrunner. I’m running his battery cables but I caught one end and pulled it off the wire a while back.

I’ve had a weird starting issue that I determined was the starter, but while I was doing the starter i decided to replace the positive cable. Terminal. Starter. All at once.

Cleaned up the grounds while I was in there.

The AFI relearned and now the idle is silky smooth.

2A4B3C7B-45CF-49D7-A300-681E0601134B.jpeg

EB99FB72-C6AA-4A9F-B41D-DF274420AE29.jpeg

16x7 wheels. I found an old pic of a non US blue 60 with split rims. I had to have something similar.

Are these Summit wheels? There are tons of threads on the Summit steelies, but none that identify the exact part# ordered. Many often have to run spacers...I suspect because there are 1 Million sizes (diameter, width, offset, backspacing) available.

So that I can throw it into an iPhone note, do you have the vendor and part #info on the 16x7s?

Are these Summit wheels? There are tons of threads on the Summit steelies, but none that identify the exact part# ordered. Many often have to run spacers...I suspect because there are 1 Million sizes (diameter, width, offset, backspacing) available.

So that I can throw it into an iPhone note, do you have the vendor and part #info on the 16x7s?

Glad you asked. I thought I had linked this thread I started on steel wheel tech in this thread. I know you have a lot of steel wheel knowledge. Jump in there and share please

Got some goodies from @Fourrunner. I’m running his battery cables but I caught one end and pulled it off the wire a while back.

I’ve had a weird starting issue that I determined was the starter, but while I was doing the starter i decided to replace the positive cable. Terminal. Starter. All at once.

Cleaned up the grounds while I was in there.

The AFI relearned and now the idle is silky smooth.

View attachment 1999213

View attachment 1999216

Is that a Toyota reman starter?

Added a new Denso AC compressor and dryer to Ole Blue. The old one was only 3 years old and the clutch went out. Bummer.

92B17648-C8B6-49CB-8FBD-1160C501965C.jpeg

@wct49 worked me in this afternoon and got it charged back up. Good to have one #89nolder Cruiser with AC here for the next few months

931DB1FA-5093-4B81-9811-E9943AD856DB.jpeg

Also went and picked up The KM3s. These will be going to @Godwin in July for his 40.

I can’t seem to get rid of my rough idle or my hiccup I get in the gas when the truck is under load but low RPM (lugging)

On the rough idle. It feels like a miss but it’s only at idle. Last time I dug into it I pulled and cleaned the plugs and it went away but came back. I got new Toyota plugs from 49 Tire today. Will try that.

The second issue is this hiccup.

I drilled out the gas cap to let it breath better and it’s still with me. Now I have a 33 code.

This AFI is starting to irritate me

51CAD038-89CA-4530-811D-811C689B7CD5.jpeg

I can’t seem to get rid of my rough idle or my hiccup I get in the gas when the truck is under load but low RPM (lugging)

On the rough idle. It feels like a miss but it’s only at idle. Last time I dug into it I pulled and cleaned the plugs and it went away but came back. I got new Toyota plugs from 49 Tire today. Will try that.

The second issue is this hiccup.

I drilled out the gas cap to let it breath better and it’s still with me. Now I have a 33 code.

This AFI is starting to irritate me

View attachment 2012948

You run into any of these issues with the Sniper kit on the 55? Just thinking about a future kit and it seems like that may be the the way to go.

You run into any of these issues with the Sniper kit on the 55? Just thinking about a future kit and it seems like that may be the the way to go.

No. I’ve got 1800 miles on the sniper with zero
Weirdness. 11,000-12000 on the AFI with constant weirdness. No way in hell I’d do anything but a Sniper

Did you consider going a bigger size on the km3s?

I don’t like the rounded tread block on the KM3. They are quiet and work great. Just don’t like em.

No. I’ve got 1800 miles on the sniper with zero
Weirdness. 11,000-12000 on the AFI with constant weirdness. No way in hell I’d do anything but a Sniper

Sorry to hear the constant troubles but glad to ge that feedback. I’d venture a guess that you have reached out to AFI about all this? What are the recommendations that they have?

Have you checked easy stuff? Sounds like something minor, loose plugs wire,
loose valve

Have you checked easy stuff? Sounds like something minor, loose plugs wire,
loose valve

The rough idle. Yes. It’s got to be spark related since it smooths out with just the slightest touch of the throttle. As I said. The full wire inspection and plug clean last month stopped it but now it’s back.

The picture I posted above is what I have to do. Add vacuum. A few other things. I’ll try it. Actuallly change the plugs versus cleaning them.

One frustration with this setup is the number of loomed wires that need to be undone and inspected when something like this happens.

I would be none the wiser would it not be for the fact that I’ve done two Snipers recently and the sheer simplicity of it is so much better.

To close the loop on this rough idle.....

When I finished my last trip to Arkansas I noticed some of my vacuum caps were cracked.

I decided to eliminate the 3 prong vented port in my manifold since all those were plugged and that valve can be a vacuum leak source when it gets dry and crusty.

I never freaking capped the thing.

39FCF649-9E77-43B9-9AAA-2ECEC880686D.jpeg

Me and two mechanics stared at an open vacuum tube and none of us saw it while we were commenting on my rough idle while the AC was getting charged.

Crazy.

I cleaned the engine area today and did not notice until I was about to shut the hood.

So easy to miss easy stuff.

Runs like a scalded dog now. Smooth as butter.

Gave my grill a real cleaning today.

7BAEC80D-8DB4-468B-8AA0-D6F62736D685.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom