HAM - info - callsign list - radio discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I Passed!!! The one question I missed was a question I didn't even have to study for o_O. Be right back...🍺

Name - Steve
Callsign - KC7MDS
Rig - '84 blue FJ60
HAM Radios: I've only got a Baofeng now. Had my technician licence for years but never used it.
But this should be a great combination for getting more exploring in... Ham radio and cruisers.
Does anyone use sms via APRS to communicate back home when out of cell coverage?

I came across this "Wilderness Protocol" while reading through the ARES Field Resource Manual and think it's a good practice for the HAMs in the club to follow while out on the trail rides, regardless of it being a club event or on your own schedule:

Wilderness Protocol
The Wilderness protocol calls for hams in the wilderness to announce their presence on, and to monitor, the national calling frequencies for five minutes beginning at the top of the hour, every three hours from 7 AM to 7 PM while in the back country. A ham in a remote location may be able to relay emergency information through another wilderness ham who has better access to a repeater. National
calling frequencies: 52.525, 146.52, 223.50, 446.00, 1294.50 MHz.

Remember, though, this protocol won't work if it's only used by hams who need to call for help - someone else has to be listening. Check the national calling frequencies on all bands for which you're equipped, and give your call sign once or twice so that others will know you're there.

Name: Rover Chris
Call sign: K8FLA
Vehicle: 2001 Land Rover Discovery II
Radios: Ham - Yaesu FTM-400XDR w/APRS, Digital Group Monitor | CB - Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB
Antennas: Ham - TRAM 1180 | CB - Firestik Firefly 4'

Last edited:
Just have to say. HAM > CB

Very glad I had my HAM yesterday after my truck broke and stranded me in the mountains with basically no cell service. Bouncing off the Bozeman repeater enabled others to call for help and get a recovery organized to help me get moving again.

Very glad I had my HAM yesterday after my truck broke and stranded me in the mountains with basically no cell service. Bouncing off the Bozeman repeater enabled others to call for help and get a recovery organized to help me get moving again.
This right here. No excuse not to study for and get the technician license as a minimum.

What is the Bozeman repeater channel and offset?
i need to learn how this ham stuff offest repeater etc works, i go out alot and this would be a very valuable skill becuase we all know i would be up a creek if anything broke and i cant rely on Instagram

What is the Bozeman repeater channel and offset?

Bozeman Repeater located at the top of the Ridge at Bridger Bowl is 146.880. Offset is - .6 MHz. Tone is 100. (Revised post for Minus Offset).

There is also the MRLA repeater system that you can hit in Bozeman. The closest MRLA repeaters are on Bozeman Pass, Three Forks and Big Sky.

Bozeman area repeater list and surrounding Montana repeaters can be found on the Gallatin Ham Radio Club website. I print off the lists and keep in my glovebox. Link below.

GHRC repeater maps

Keep in mind these repeaters are maintained by Nonprofit Ham radio groups. If you use them alot, or even a little, consider throwing them a few bones by donating for upkeep (they accept Paypal, link from their website).

Last edited:
Bozeman Repeater located at the top of the Ridge at Bridger Bowl is 146.880. Offset is + .6 MHz. Tone is 100.

There is also the MRLA repeater system that you can hit in Bozeman. The closest MRLA repeaters are on Bozeman Pass, Three Forks and Big Sky.

Bozeman area repeater list and surrounding Montana repeaters can be found on the Gallatin Ham Radio Club website. I print off the lists and keep in my glovebox. Link below.

GHRC repeater maps

Keep in mind these repeaters are maintained by Nonprofit Ham radio groups. If you use them alot, or even a little, consider throwing them a few bones by donating for upkeep (they accept Paypal, link from their website).

You sure it's +600? Pretty sure my radio is -600.

Could be wrong though as my truck isn't in my possession right now.

Screenshot_20190625-171606_Dropbox.jpg

i need to learn how this ham stuff offest repeater etc works, i go out alot and this would be a very valuable skill becuase we all know i would be up a creek if anything broke and i cant rely on Instagram

Consider attending a Gallatin Ham Radio Club meeting. Harley Leech (KI7XF) used to be an electrical engineering professor at MSU. He's very good at radio direction finding and puts on radio fox hunts around Bozeman monthly during the summer. He also helps to maintain the repeater network. He's an excellent resource for radio tech; including antenna design. He's a good communicator too. He's able to tailor his explanations to your level of understanding. A lot of those old guys have great information to share, and they're willing to share it, but they aren't going to be around forever. I get 2-4 "silent key" emails from the GHRC a year. So definitely use that resource while it exists.

You sure it's +600? Pretty sure my radio is -600.

Could be wrong though as my truck isn't in my possession right now.

View attachment 2012915

Yep. You're right. -600Hz offset. I'll revise my post.

That said, there is also a plus offset. If you are in the shadow of the Bridgers on the West side, you can use a plus offset. As I recall, that will bounce the signal off a tower at MSU (out of the shadow) back up to the repeater on the Ridge. I played with this using my handheld to see which offset gave me better reception out of the repeater.

Yep. You're right. -600Hz offset. I'll revise my post.

That said, there is also a plus offset. If you are in the shadow of the Bridgers on the West side, you can use a plus offset. As I recall, that will bounce the signal off a tower at MSU (out of the shadow) back up to the repeater on the Ridge. I played with this using my handheld to see which offset gave me better reception out of the repeater.

That's actually good to know! Always wondered why they had a + and - offset listed.

There's a fellow HAM selling 4 Yaesu FT8800R mobile radios on the Montana Ham Radio Facebook page. Looks like a pretty solid mobile setup. I like the idea of having 50W of power instead of 5W from my handheld and have been scouting the used radio market for a few months now. Might just be 3 left....;)

Montana Ham Radio Facebook Group

Email received from Gallatin Ham Radio Club, in case anybody wants to sit in.

I have a Ham Repeater presentation planned for the Thursday GHRC club meeting. Where they are and why, and how they work.

Meetings are held the first Thursday of the month at 7 pm at the Gallatin County Search & Rescue building at the County Fairgrounds at 219 E. Tamarack Street, Bozeman.

Email received from Gallatin Ham Radio Club, in case anybody wants to sit in.

I have a Ham Repeater presentation planned for the Thursday GHRC club meeting. Where they are and why, and how they work.

Meetings are held the first Thursday of the month at 7 pm at the Gallatin County Search & Rescue building at the County Fairgrounds at 219 E. Tamarack Street, Bozeman.
anyone else thinking they might go to this? i was thinking about showing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom